Windows 8

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
"Classic Start" does the trick (go to ninite.com - it's under Utilities). You only have to see metro right after boot at which point you can click desktop and be done with it.
I use Pokki, which I am starting to like more than the Windows 7 start menu.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
Confirmed retard. I can fit 40 tiles per column at 1440x900. I only use 29 tiles, but where you respond with hyperbole I respond with fact. The Windows 8 start menu is better than any start menu in any previous iteration of Windows and nothing your stupid ass responds with is going to change that.
I'm talking about searching genius. Who the fuck browses through their start menu, it isn't 2001 anymore. The new start menu is your grandma's icon covered desktop, flood the screen with a bunch of shit.

Sorry but I rarely look at the start menu, I continue to read or watch whatever I was already looking at.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
I'm still confused as to why anyone who is using Windows 8 or 8.1 wouldn't have Classic Start installed. Metro fucking blows, we all know that. Replace that with Classic Start and there is literally no reason why 7 is better than 8.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I'm talking about searching genius. Who the fuck browses through their start menu, it isn't 2001 anymore. The new start menu is your grandma's icon covered desktop, flood the screen with a bunch of shit.

Sorry but I rarely look at the start menu, I continue to read or watch whatever I was already looking at.
You and all the mouthbreathers I talk to don't understand you can just type out what you want ....

I tell them that and their mind is blown and their entire stance on Windows 8 changes.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm still confused as to why anyone who is using Windows 8 or 8.1 wouldn't have Classic Start installed. Metro fucking blows, we all know that. Replace that with Classic Start and there is literally no reason why 7 is better than 8.
Yeah, I don't agree. After getting used to the new start page it's easier and faster to find the application that I'm looking for. The metro apps blow yes, but I think the new start menu is an improvement.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
So what's your point? Searching in Windows 8 is better than any previous version of Windows, too.
Not for applications & system tools it isn't. In search for Windows Update, note that you get 0 results until you switch sections.

You and all the mouthbreathers I talk to don't understand you can just type out what you want ....

I tell them that and their mind is blown and their entire stance on Windows 8 changes.
I'm perfectly aware that Metro is searchable, however as mentioned above its also segmented and needlessly requires a number of keystrokes to switch. And as mentions wastes an inordinate amount of space instead of allowing the user to continue what they're doing while using it.

Not to mention the moronic horizontal scrolling.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I use Pokki, which I am starting to like more than the Windows 7 start menu.
Another vote for Pokki. THIS is how a Start menu should be.

rrr_img_49668.jpg

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Not for applications & system tools it isn't. In search for Windows Update, note that you get 0 results until you switch sections.
You obviously haven't used Windows 8.1 or you wouldn't be saying stupid, outdated shit like this. Yes searching needed some overhaul, which it got in a free update.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think for me the question is, why the fuckshould Iupgrade from 7 to 8.1? (even with Classic Start) What am I really getting out of 8.1 that is so groundbreaking besides a nice new search function that I might use once every few months? Honest question.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Another vote for Pokki. THIS is how a Start menu should be.

rrr_img_49668.jpg
Completely unrelated. Where did you grab that picture? That is a picture of Doha, Qatar (where I am currently working). I have taken very similar pics myself at the same location!

Pinch_sl

shitlord
Having the start menu be an overlay instead of full screen is much more functional. Your focus can remain on the windows you have open. With the default full screen start menu, your focus is forced 100% onto the start menu, which is generally unnecessary and frequently disruptive. One example is if you are working on spreadsheets in excel and you need to open open another program real quick (this happened to me the other day when I had to open a program to run statistics on my data). The full screen start menu yanks you out of excel and fills the screen with a grid of tiles. After I'd selected the program and was back in desktop mode, I was a bit disoriented when I went to my spreadsheet and it took a few seconds to figure out where I had left off. With the old menu, my spreadsheet was constantly in my peripheral vision so I never lost focus. It may seem nitpicky, by when you spend hours in a row crunching numbers thers little interruptions can be extremely annoying. This also applies if you are watching videos, editing photos, etc. Just no need for a keyboard and mouse user to have a simple menu become a full screen grid.

Not to mention the default windows 8 start menu doesn't have folders as far as I know. I don't care about grouping my programs together, I want them hidden in folders. Instead of a 'games' category that takes up half my screen, why isn't there a simple option to put them all in a single folder in the start menu?

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
You still lose focus if the application you are looking for isn't on your main "frequently used" list on Win 7. If it's a program you use all the time it should be pinned to the taskbar anyways - that's what it's for. For seldom used programs it's way easier to find things in Win8. It takes way more effort to find the paint or sniping tool shortcut in win 7 than win 8.

spronk

FPS noob
I think for me the question is, why the fuckshould Iupgrade from 7 to 8.1? (even with Classic Start) What am I really getting out of 8.1 that is so groundbreaking besides a nice new search function that I might use once every few months? Honest question.
depends if you play games or not, lots of people have benchmarked things like BF4 as 15-30% faster under Win8.1 with a lot less lag spikes. Nvidia drivers etc are all optimized better under Win8.1. Under the hood Win8.1 does a lot of stuff better, especially with things like SSD drives and UEFI booting. Its all of course balanced by shitty metro, but honestly with classic whatever config and Start8 (or pokki) I don't see a difference at all between my 8.1 and 7 in terms of day to day use. Sometimes you get that goddamn Metro full screen window and you rage at your PC for a few seconds, but life goes on.

Whats hilarious is my parents PC has win8 too (new PC this fall) and for a week my dad literally would restart the computer every time he got trapped in the metro screen, since he didn't know how to get out of it. Fortunately with 8.1, if you choose the go-away-metro stuff you rarely see it anymore.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Against my better judgement I want to try out 8.1 since I hated 8 back when it was first released. And hey, look, my Windows 8 key doesn't work for 8.1... Guess I'll start this two step process.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Against my better judgement I want to try out 8.1 since I hated 8 back when it was first released. And hey, look, my Windows 8 key doesn't work for 8.1... Guess I'll start this two step process.
It does, you just have to force it to work with some command line stuff.