Windows 8

Siliconemelons

False. Windows 8 is a superior OS over Windows 7. Period. It doesn't matter if you have an SSD or not. If you dislike the "Metro" interface and prefer the taskbar you just go toNinite - Install or Update Multiple Apps at Onceand install Classic Start.

I'd be interested in why people still think 8 is worse than 7.
It really is just the metro interface... during initial setup/startup/install there should be an option A)Classic- you get start bar-button and log into desktop with metro interface as an activated secondary or B) Modern - how things are now - but you are correct in the core etc etc windows 8 is much better and faster than 7.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
It really is just the metro interface... during initial setup/startup/install there should be an option A)Classic- you get start bar-button and log into desktop with metro interface as an activated secondary or B) Modern - how things are now - but you are correct in the core etc etc windows 8 is much better and faster than 7.
This is accurate. TecKnoe go with Windows 8.1. If you need any help setting up Classic Start just shoot me a PM or ask here. It is pretty damn easy though.

Siliconemelons

it does help in the transition to think of the metro UI as a big start menu... I believe with 8.1 they did add an option that allows you to log in directly to the desktop and bypass metro.. But you still don't have a classic type start button less you add in the mod.

I also do not use any metro 'apps' and when I try the 'mobile' thinking task management drives me insane.. Its also why I have stuck with WebOS so long on my mobile..it has true active multi tasking task management.

Jovec

?
Yes, 8.1 allows you to go directly to the desktop after log-in. You can also make the start button / windows button go to the "All apps" screen (aka full screen app list). Many of the Metro apps can also be uninstalled.

As for versions, the big differences is that Pro gets you Hyper-V, Bitlocker, remote desktop host, and a $10 media center upgrade (as opposed to $100 for standard Win8). The memory limitations from Win7 versions are largely removed as standard 8.1 64 tops out at 128GB of RAM (512GB for Pro/Ent).

Compare Windows Enterprise editions

Also, my understanding is that MS relaxed the OEM license restrictions. With OEM, you can install it in a VM, transfer the license to another computer you own, or to another person. Many of us did these things anyway, but now they don't violate the EULA.

blackac3

Trakanon Raider
I recently updated to the new Avast that has a Software Updater built and helps me keep my software up to date. Now I am looking to find something similar that can help me track my drivers, anyone have any suggestions?

Siliconemelons

I recently updated to the new Avast that has a Software Updater built and helps me keep my software up to date. Now I am looking to find something similar that can help me track my drivers, anyone have any suggestions?
windows update typically hits all your drivers, so sans your video card if its special you should be covered- and well any other special things. But general driver updates to standard stuff you will get from windows fairly well imo.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
windows update typically hits all your drivers, so sans your video card if its special you should be covered- and well any other special things. But general driver updates to standard stuff you will get from windows fairly well imo.
If you're doing a fresh install I'd still highly recommend getting your Chipset/LAN/Wireless/Card Reader/Etc from your Motherboard's manufacturer. Windows does a fine job from there.

If anything, 100% get your chipset drivers from your MOBO manufacturer because sometimes they have goofy changes that can get pretty fucked up if not done direct.

dolaan_sl

shitlord
Quick question: I am buying my wife a cheap laptop (under$400) that she will just use for internet, office, music. She has a IPad but still wants a new computer. I wanted to argue but I would not win so she gets a computer for Christmas.

I found 2 on newegg and one have win 8 and the other win 7.

Is there any advantage to 8 over 7 for this application?

Thanks

jeydax

Death and Taxes
I like Windows 8, most people just don't understand a simple tweak will solve all their hate about it in literally 20 seconds. I've said way too many times already on this forum but if you don't like Metro or the interface changes of Windows 8/8.1 then all you have to do is go toNinite - Install or Update Multiple Apps at Onceand install Classic Start. Boom... you have a better OS with the same taskbar environment.

That said, to answer your question: For your wife's situation there is a veryslightadvantage of Windows 8 over Windows 7. My advice would be to simply pick out the laptop which is a better deal/value. If the Windows 8 computer is better and she likes the Metro interface, you don't have to do anything. If she likes the Windows 7 interface, you simply install Classic Start and boom, you're done. Like I said it takes 20 seconds. If the Windows 7 laptop is the better deal and she likes that interface, again, you don't have to do anything. And if she does like Metro you can put Windows 8 on it from there.

TLDR: Pick out whichever laptop is the better deal/value. Classic Start solves everything if you hate "Metro" in Windows 8. SING IT WITH ME NOW!

spronk

FPS noob
Quick question: I am buying my wife a cheap laptop (under$400) that she will just use for internet, office, music. She has a IPad but still wants a new computer. I wanted to argue but I would not win so she gets a computer for Christmas.

I found 2 on newegg and one have win 8 and the other win 7.

Is there any advantage to 8 over 7 for this application?

Thanks
i bought this laptop for $399 on black friday as a gift to a niece, its $100 more right now but a pretty decent one. If you go toSlickdeals: The Best Deals, Coupons Discounts on Laptops, Computers, LCDs, TVs, Dell, HP, Apple, Amazonand set up an alert for laptop you can get one for a good price, there are daily deals for $300-500 on great laptops, especially from staples and lenovo outlet.
Buy Dell Inspiron 15z Touchscreen Laptop

setting up and installing apps onto the dell right now, its nice in everything (touch screen, win8, 500gb drive + ssd cache, backlight keyboard, dvd drive) but the screen is only 1366x768. Its really, really, really nice having a 1920x1080 screen but hard to find one that has that screen AND dvd drive. The 15z is also pretty big and bulky (sister asked for a non ultrabook so my niece leaves the laptop at home), my wife has a asus zenbook and its about 3/5ths the side and a much, much better (non touch) screen but also cost $1k.

Also you have to decide whether having a dvd drive is worth it or not, me personally I don't do shit with cds/dvds anymore and have rips of all video/audio, but some people like DVDs for airplane trips or whatever.

i would definitely get win8 and a touch screen laptop though, especially if your wife is used to phones and ipad. For a desktop metro is stupid as fuck and annoying, but for a laptop its kinda nice just touching shit and being lazy and only breaking out the keyboard when you need to.

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
Windows 8 is fast and stable for me. It does have its annoyance, though. For example, every now and then when I try to save a pic I see on the web, I get an insufficient privileges error and it doesn't save the file. It takes a second try to get it to save it. I'm running as admin and I'm saving to my desktop.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Been thinking about Windows 8.1 now that I've been using it for a few weeks and how great the Windows Key + start typing is to find programs, settings, etc...

I didn't even realize that Windows+S brings up that search bar on the desktop without you dropping all the way back to Metro. The only slightly annoying part is that some of the settings menus that come up are understandably metro charms or whatever they're called and it isn't as simple as ESC to get you back to the desktop.

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Has anyone had any experiences (good or bad) with torrenting an "untouched" Windows 8 OEM iso? Apparently my OEM product key (that I presume I paid for in the price of my computer) isn't good enough for MS to let me download the official Windows 8 retail install isos. I'm already downloading an OEM iso, just wondering if if anyone has any success/horror stories about using one.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Been thinking about Windows 8.1 now that I've been using it for a few weeks and how great the Windows Key + start typing is to find programs, settings, etc...

I didn't even realize that Windows+S brings up that search bar on the desktop without you dropping all the way back to Metro. The only slightly annoying part is that some of the settings menus that come up are understandably metro charms or whatever they're called and it isn't as simple as ESC to get you back to the desktop.
Do you have Classic Start/Shell installed? You can turn off the charms shit on the sides of the screen with it in the advanced settings.