Windows 8

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I got Windows 8 Pro for 15 dollars the day it was released. Pretty glad I did.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
So after a day of fooling around with windows 8.1 and metro I fucking love it. It's so much cleaner and organized then 7. I can't understand why it got such a bad rap.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
So after a day of fooling around with windows 8.1 and metro I fucking love it. It's so much cleaner and organized then 7. I can't understand why it got such a bad rap.
Mostly from people that refused to ever use it (or change their usage habits) and realize that it is better.

Raign

Golden Squire
Mostly from people that refused to ever use it (or change their usage habits) and realize that it is better.
This. It does have a learning curve though, unlike the move from xp to 7 (which was pretty transparent). People hate to learn / change. That said, the last windows patch over the weekend completely corrupted the OS (not sure if power flickered or something, I set it to install and went to bed) - which REALLY sucked and I never had happen with 7. But I consider it a one-off, and the upgrade well worth it despite the hiccup.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
There's definitely a couple problems. The big one is that the metro screen search doesn't search your recent jumplist documents in realtime as you type (there's a pause of like 5 seconds after you stop typing) where the Start8 menu does. It's the only major reason I haven't switched to using the metro start screen entirely.

The main problem with Windows 8 is that it's just not as good as it could be. Switching between two very different interface metaphors on a desktop is clumsy and even MS knows it. They're going to be changing a lot for the next version of windows.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Yeah, it was on slickdeals. They were contacted about it and never changed the offer, I'm guessing because they were desperate for early-adopters.
Or the other way around, a clever marketing ploy :) Was just curious, MSDN access might not be an option for windows 9. Thanks :)

jeydax

Death and Taxes
As a side note of people talking about searching for stuff, I know it isn't the same as what you're talking about but a program downloadable fromNinite - Install or Update Multiple Apps at Oncecalled Everything should be immediately added to your program list if you don't already use it. It is an instant search tool of any file on your computer - I use it all the time. It's a pretty smart program.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Doesn't windows have that already? Seems to me all I have to do to search is press the windows key and start typing - Eureka! What does this program offer that windows does not do already?

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Doesn't windows have that already? Seems to me all I have to do to search is press the windows key and start typing - Eureka! What does this program offer that windows does not do already?
Say you have a pdf you want to find but can't remember the name of it. Start by typing in pdf and the program will pull up all your pdf files (and any file with "pdf" in it). Then you can start by typing in a portion of the file name if you know it... does that make sense? Windows search may do that but I just tested that same search on my computer through Windows and it took fucking forever. Everything takes a quick moment to load up but after that, it is instant and a much better overall program. Give it a shot.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Wife will be opening a brand new custom gaming laptop Christmas morning and it won't have an OS. Any tips on where to get a legit copy of windows on deal? If rather not have to pay $100 or more.

Last time I was in this situation i knew a guy that was selling win 7 keys for $20 that were legit keys off brand new computers, but since his company had a different license they didn't need the keys.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Here you go, post from a few days ago

Side note for people looking to buy Windows 8, hop onhttp://www.reddit.com/softwareswapyou can typically find W8 keys for $10-15 there. I was VERY wary of buying one there but got one with no issue for $10 here:Microsoft Product Keys - Windows, Office, and More! - NEW STOCK! : softwareswap

I pm'd the guy to confirm, sent him the money and he sent the key in the span of about 3 minutes. Tested it and it is working fine. Worth $10 imo.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
8 or 8.1 pro, really doesn't matter. 8.1 is a free upgrade if you have 8. If you can get 8.1 right off the bat it might save you a little extra downloading time is all.