Windows 8

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
8 or 8.1 pro, really doesn't matter. 8.1 is a free upgrade if you have 8. If you can get 8.1 right off the bat it might save you a little extra downloading time is all.
Talking with that guy right now on reddit! Thank you very much! Will get a key for super cheap.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Talking with that guy right now on reddit! Thank you very much! Will get a key for super cheap.
Received a key, and try to use it this morning to create an ISO for windows 8, and the key isn't working. I've PMed the guy back, so we'll see.

Edit: The key he had sent me was Win 8.1 pro, instead of Win 8 pro. So I just said I'd go 8.1, no big deal. He did send another Win 8 pro key instead, but told him I'm not going to use it, but we'll see.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
What do you mean you used it to create an ISO for Windows 8? What key did you ask for? 8.1 or 8? Pro or Standard?

Edit: NM just saw your edit. There's really no point in going with Windows 8 since you're going to upgrade to 8.1 anyways.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Yeah I figured as much. Or you can download the one I listed and get the same thing with updates *shrug*

Saban_sl

shitlord
So running into a problem whenever i try to play a video embedded in any app, like bing finance or the news app or even the tour videos that come with some of these apps. Soon as you play a video, you get video for about a half second and then it goes black and you only get audio. Assuming its a problem with whatever media player it uses to play media, but i'm not really sure what setting i might have to fuck with to fix it. WMP seems like the obvious culprit but i havent had any luck messing with it.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I want to upgrade my home PC from Win7:32bit, to Win8.1:64bit. The guy on Reddit, is he still actively selling Windows 8.1? Is it 64 bit? Is there more cost involved since Im going from 32 to 64 bit? Or is it just as simple as it sounds? Download the ISO, burn it, buy a 64 bit key from Higherpower420 for like 15 bucks and install?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Theres really no difference in the way you upgrade/install going from 32bit Win 7 to 64bit Win 8. I'd recommend a clean wipe of your HD and then an install. I really, really don't like doing upgrade installs of operating systems. It just never works as cleanly as it should.

Just make sure that your current PC is new enough that it has BIOS settings to tell it to boot from a USB device. The install that I got of Win 8 was like 20 gigs, no way thats fitting on a DVD to install.

Jovec

?
Theres really no difference in the way you upgrade/install going from 32bit Win 7 to 64bit Win 8. I'd recommend a clean wipe of your HD and then an install. I really, really don't like doing upgrade installs of operating systems. It just never works as cleanly as it should.
Second the wipe/install method in general, however I do not think one can do a 32-bit to 64-bit upgrade of Windows regardless of the versions involved.

If you do the start button mod, does it mess up your metro apps page?
Most should allow you to still go to the Start (aka Metro) screen via icon in the replaced start menu. I never bothered though, just boot to desktop and change the Win key to go to the Apps screen instead of the Start/Metro screen and you have essentially the same functionality. For everything else I just do it the Win8 way, which mainly amounts to right-clicking the start button (or Win+X shortcut).

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Second the wipe/install method in general, however I do not think one can do a 32-bit to 64-bit upgrade of Windows regardless of the versions involved.
This is and has always been the case. You can never do an "upgrade" from 32 bit to 64 bit. It has to be a clean install.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Want to waste time updating 32 bit win 7 to win 8 pro 64 bit, read on!
Just as a forewarning about the whole 32 and 64 bit process ~ I initially had the 32 bit version of Win 7. Since I bought the Product Key from reddit, I thought it would be simple enough to just download the ISO for Win 8 from Microsoft, itself. However, it never gives you the option to choose between which bit version you want. So if you are doing this, Windows 8 will automatically install the 32 bit version based off your old operating system regardless of what you want. (regardless of formatting the drive) After installing win 8 and finding out its still 32 bit, I applied to Customer Support to find out how to get it done (since every article I read was full of people that had no fucking clue. Especially after knowing the entire process.)

Customer Support said I had to have Win 7 64bit installed in order to install to Win 8 64bit (formatted and all). So now I have to get a Win 7 64 bit version. I wasnt going to purchase that shit, so I pirated the ISO for 64 bit. Used a temporary product key and installed windows 8 with the ISO that I originally downloaded on Win 7 32bit. But wait? Whats this? Its still 32 Bit Win 8? Wtf is going on!?!?! Another visit to Customer Support and I find out there is no ISO available to install just the 64 bit version of win 8. Frustrated, I close chat and go to see what I can find on the Torrent sites. (All this shit is so confusing, I know... but ill clear it up in a second.) When reading the torrents comments, I find out that even though the title says 64 bit, it doesnt necessarily mean that its actually 64 bit. In one last sigh of patience, I went back to Customer Support and explained everything to an Asian guy named Tyrone. Wtf? .... Anyways... Come to find out, the ISO of Win 8 Pro that I downloaded was automatically turned into the 32 bit version because my OS was 32 bit at the time. So what did I have to do? Go back and reinstall Win 7 - 64 bit, then re-download the Win 8 ISO in order to the get the 64 bit ISO. Then I was able to do a Fresh Install of Win 8 Pro 64 Bit.

Side Note - Ask someone you know that knows how to do this shit. Customer Support and Articles know shit all about the process. I actually think Customer Support was trying to hide the fact that there is no ISO available that is 64 bit only.
TL;DR--

To go from a 32 Bit version of Windows older than 8 to 8, you have to follow this process if you buy the Product Key and dont get an install DVD that comes from Microsoft.
-If your OS is currently 32, do not download the ISO for Win 8 yet. Install Win XP, Vista or 7: 64bit and then download the ISO. This automatically makes the ISO 64 bit. Now when you install, you can format the hard drive for a clean install of Win 8 64 bit. Hope this saves you a few hours and some frustration.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
How do you quickly disconnect your VPN in Windows 8? The Networks option looks the same when your disconnected or connected.

rrr_img_62555.png

Is this the usual Windows 8 design retardation or am I doing something wrong?

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I don't see a "Network" in Settings.

hCoY60K.png

The wireless icon just takes me back to my original post issue.

It's fine to say "You have to go through the control panel. Windows 8 is kinda retarded and didn't think having a VPN disconnect option in the Networks app was useful."

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
If you don't want to use the control panel, From your screenshot, click change PC Settings - > Network.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
If you don't want to use the control panel, From your screenshot, click change PC Settings - > Network.
That gives me the option to edit or remove my VPN. No disconnect.

I know how to disconnect it. It just bottles my mind that they didn't put it in the really easy to access Networks screen where it let me connect to the VPN in the first place.