<Silver Donator>
lol@ gundam africa: Child soldier.

So true.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Is Youjo Senki getting a 2nd season? Really hope so, show is damn good.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Leon

<Silver Donator>
Fuck man, Gundam is the game of thrones of anime. Shino :(

Easily top 3 favorites for me right now, the show just keeps getting better and better, but I don't know how many times I can get my heart ripped to pieces like that lol

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 2Like

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
I want to see a spinoff series of Fafnir from Kobayashi's Maid Dragon. Make it a comedy like NHK or Genshiken.

• 1Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
So, horriblesubs just did a movie called Dragon Dentist. It was actually pretty good.

• 1Like

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
So Konosuba this season just isnt anything interesting which is sad - Its just ok but nothing like season 1.

• 1Like

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think season 2 is hilarious, though there's a little less story development maybe. The axis cult was great last episode.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I had initially passed on season 1 of Konosuba and just got caught up on it. The story progression is going nowhere so far, but this season has been funnier. This last episode was one of my favorites.

• 2Like

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Last episode was probably the best yeah, though I do agree that I haven't been feeling season 2 as much as the first.

• 2Like

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
So I lucked into a ticket to see the SAO movie Ordinal Scale on Thursday on the big screen at a local theater here around Chicago.

Supposedly it's pretty great visuals and audio. May be kinda weird reading subs in a movie theater (never done that before honestly.)

Wish it was on Friday so I didn't have to go to work the next day but oh well. Really looking forward to it.

• 1Like

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
Anyone hear anything about the kings avatar(not entirely sure what the anime title is going to be? it is supposed to be out in april- the ip is owned by tencent(who owns riot games/league of legends). i've read about 1/3rd of the light novel (there are about 1300 or so chapters left to be translated- at least i have not found a fully translated version as of yet) and it is quite good(the light novel).

this past season, i have not watched much, the only one i have faithfully is Tanya the evil, the rest i've just not have had the I MUST WATCH THIS vibe...

• 1Like

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Skimmed through thread and got a question for you guys:

As an old fuck that loved Ninja Scroll / Ghost in the Shell / Akira / Neon Genesis Evangelion / The Bastard / some anime about the church and crazy shit going on that I don't remember the name of, are there any animes out there that are similar to those? Its been difficult to find anything along those lines.

• 1Like

Fadaar

That guy
Assuming you never saw the late 90's classics like Trigun or Cowboy Bebop, here's a few that might be up your alley, just gonna go down the list I (painstakingly) updated a while back om MAL:

91 Days -- Fairly recent one set in prohibition era... United States I think?
Ajin -- Also recent w/ 2 seasons, the animation takes some getting used to but it's a good one. I'd rarely recommend the Japanese audio over a dub but it's worth watching the Japanese version purely for the guy who does the voice of Sato.
Attack on Titan -- You've probably heard of it, hell it's even been airing on American TV. Good action and one of those shows where you probably shouldn't get too attached to any characters.
Black Lagoon -- Another classic action show. Watch the dub, the dialogue and colorful nature work so much better in English.
Death Parade -- Interesting show based off of what I think was a one off OVA or something, plot is a little hard to explain better off watching the first few eps.
Fate/Stay Night franchise -- Personally I never saw the original adaptation from 2006 but from what I hear I didn't miss much. Fate/Zero and Unlimited Blade Works are both worth a watch though if you watch Zero first you'll really hate the characters from UBW. Viewing order doesn't matter though. Fate/Zero is one of the best English voice jobs of any show I've seen and would recommend it.
Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood -- I never finished the original FMA airing but from everything I've heard, outside of them blazing through a lot of potential content in the first few episodes of FMA:B, Brotherhood is far superior in every way. Fantastic show and well worth the watch even if it is 64 episodes. Also recommend the dub version.
Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex (I & II) -- The tv series based in the universe. Vastly superior to the movie, highly recommend it.
Jin Roh The Wolf Brigade -- Movie that came out in 1999. Absolutely fantastic, bit of an alternate "what if" Japan in the post WW2 timeframe.
Knights of Sidonia -- Same studio that did Ajin. Think Battlestar Galactica but replace the cylons with some ugly ass tyranid/zerg type enemy. English dub seemed pretty solid from what I saw, I had originally watched it as it aired as the English version is Netflix only and came out after the season(s) had ended.
Mob Psycho 100 and One Punch Man -- Two show adaptations of mangas by the same author. OPM is pretty much a pitch perfect spoof of everything super hero related, especially older shows like DBZ. Mob Psycho is... different? Gotta watch to really get a feel for it. Don't give up after a few episodes, I was about to drop it but glad I kept going.
Mobile Suit Gundam franchise -- I haven't seen them all but if someone wants to chime in with their opinions feel free. The currently running Iron Blooded Orphans is probably the most grounded in reality you get excepting 08th MS Team.
The Seven Deadly Sins (Nanatsu no Tazai) -- Really cool adventure/fantasy show about 7 badasses although the 7th has still yet to be seen in either the show or the manga (I think?). There's a 4 episode OVA series that came out that takes place immediately after the first season and another season should be along at some point.
Overlord -- The only "stuck in a game" series I'll recommend. Considered Log Horizon but there's too much filler and season 2's art just bugs the fuck out of me. Overlord is about a guy who doesn't log out of a video game on the day the servers are supposed to go down and even though they never explain how the tech works I'm assuming it's VR based like a bunch of other "stuck in a game" shows. Servers don't go down and now he's part of the world as, what he thinks to be, the only player still left. NPC's go from just static functions to actually developing personalities and whatnot. Short at only 12 or 13 episodes and I believe a season 2 is coming at some point.
Psycho Pass -- Haven't actually finished it myself but plan to at some point. Similar thematically to Minority Report, future Japan has developed a system that can monitor the mental status of people and whatnot.
Samurai Champloo -- Samurai based show directed by the same guy who did Cowboy Bebop. Watch it in English.
Steins;Gate -- Show based around time travel. Usually I hate that premise but the show is absolutely fantastic. Also one of the shows I'd recommend the English dub on, the cast does a great job.

I'm probably missing tons of good stuff but this is what I could find right off hand

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Skimmed through thread and got a question for you guys:

As an old fuck that loved Ninja Scroll / Ghost in the Shell / Akira / Neon Genesis Evangelion / The Bastard / some anime about the church and crazy shit going on that I don't remember the name of, are there any animes out there that are similar to those? Its been difficult to find anything along those lines.

Give Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans a shot. It's essentially Gundam: Child Soldier, acknowledging how fucked up it actually is to have kids running around in giant robots because they're cheap and disposable. It's pretty brutal and people end up dying all the time.

Tanya the evil is probably the best new show this season. An asshole businessman pisses off God so he gets reincarnated as a magical girl in a world that is roughly WW 1 Europe with magic.

• 1Like

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Assuming you never saw the late 90's classics like Trigun or Cowboy Bebop, here's a few that might be up your alley, just gonna go down the list I (painstakingly) updated a while back om MAL:

91 Days -- Fairly recent one set in prohibition era... United States I think?
Ajin -- Also recent w/ 2 seasons, the animation takes some getting used to but it's a good one. I'd rarely recommend the Japanese audio over a dub but it's worth watching the Japanese version purely for the guy who does the voice of Sato.
Attack on Titan -- You've probably heard of it, hell it's even been airing on American TV. Good action and one of those shows where you probably shouldn't get too attached to any characters.
Black Lagoon -- Another classic action show. Watch the dub, the dialogue and colorful nature work so much better in English.
Death Parade -- Interesting show based off of what I think was a one off OVA or something, plot is a little hard to explain better off watching the first few eps.
Fate/Stay Night franchise -- Personally I never saw the original adaptation from 2006 but from what I hear I didn't miss much. Fate/Zero and Unlimited Blade Works are both worth a watch though if you watch Zero first you'll really hate the characters from UBW. Viewing order doesn't matter though. Fate/Zero is one of the best English voice jobs of any show I've seen and would recommend it.
Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood -- I never finished the original FMA airing but from everything I've heard, outside of them blazing through a lot of potential content in the first few episodes of FMA:B, Brotherhood is far superior in every way. Fantastic show and well worth the watch even if it is 64 episodes. Also recommend the dub version.
Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex (I & II) -- The tv series based in the universe. Vastly superior to the movie, highly recommend it.
Jin Roh The Wolf Brigade -- Movie that came out in 1999. Absolutely fantastic, bit of an alternate "what if" Japan in the post WW2 timeframe.
Knights of Sidonia -- Same studio that did Ajin. Think Battlestar Galactica but replace the cylons with some ugly ass tyranid/zerg type enemy. English dub seemed pretty solid from what I saw, I had originally watched it as it aired as the English version is Netflix only and came out after the season(s) had ended.
Mob Psycho 100 and One Punch Man -- Two show adaptations of mangas by the same author. OPM is pretty much a pitch perfect spoof of everything super hero related, especially older shows like DBZ. Mob Psycho is... different? Gotta watch to really get a feel for it. Don't give up after a few episodes, I was about to drop it but glad I kept going.
Mobile Suit Gundam franchise -- I haven't seen them all but if someone wants to chime in with their opinions feel free. The currently running Iron Blooded Orphans is probably the most grounded in reality you get excepting 08th MS Team.
The Seven Deadly Sins (Nanatsu no Tazai) -- Really cool adventure/fantasy show about 7 badasses although the 7th has still yet to be seen in either the show or the manga (I think?). There's a 4 episode OVA series that came out that takes place immediately after the first season and another season should be along at some point.
Overlord -- The only "stuck in a game" series I'll recommend. Considered Log Horizon but there's too much filler and season 2's art just bugs the fuck out of me. Overlord is about a guy who doesn't log out of a video game on the day the servers are supposed to go down and even though they never explain how the tech works I'm assuming it's VR based like a bunch of other "stuck in a game" shows. Servers don't go down and now he's part of the world as, what he thinks to be, the only player still left. NPC's go from just static functions to actually developing personalities and whatnot. Short at only 12 or 13 episodes and I believe a season 2 is coming at some point.
Psycho Pass -- Haven't actually finished it myself but plan to at some point. Similar thematically to Minority Report, future Japan has developed a system that can monitor the mental status of people and whatnot.
Samurai Champloo -- Samurai based show directed by the same guy who did Cowboy Bebop. Watch it in English.
Steins;Gate -- Show based around time travel. Usually I hate that premise but the show is absolutely fantastic. Also one of the shows I'd recommend the English dub on, the cast does a great job.

I'm probably missing tons of good stuff but this is what I could find right off hand

Lots of good suggestions here. I agree on Log Horizon. The first season was really good, but the second was god awful. I would still give the first season a shot though. Lot's of good world building in it that makes the 2nd season just that much worse.

Another mecha show that would be worth checking out is Aldnoah Zero. While the 2nd season wasn't as good as the first, it was pretty damn awesome overall with a great soundtrack. The whole thing can be found on Netflix.

• 1Like

Fadaar

That guy
Yeah Aldnoah was another I considered but season 2 just let me down so hard after how brilliant season 1 was. I left off anything that started this winter season but dear god yes, Tanya is just a special kind of creature. I'd hesitate to call "her" evil even if that's the title of the series (although this last episode might have done it), just very effective at getting the job done in a WW2 German sort of way.

• 1Like

Malkav

French Madman
Tanya is basically a sociopath in a little girl body with magic powers.

• 1Like