Winter 2016/2017 Anime

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Tanya is so so good, nothing else really compares to it this season. The only other things I've stuck with watching are Little Witch Academia, Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, Gabriel Dropout, Acca 13, Akiba's Trip and Konosuba S2. Next season looks pretty stacked with good shows, I'm excited for it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I'm not a fan of the animation in Tanya. Started watching the show, but the squished looking characters bothered me.

• 1Like

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
I thought that too during the first episode, fish lips especially bothered me. But then episode 2 hooked me, and it just keeps getting better.

• 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Assuming you never saw the late 90's classics like Trigun or Cowboy Bebop, here's a few that might be up your alley, just gonna go down the list I (painstakingly) updated a while back om MAL:

91 Days -- Fairly recent one set in prohibition era... United States I think?
Ajin -- Also recent w/ 2 seasons, the animation takes some getting used to but it's a good one. I'd rarely recommend the Japanese audio over a dub but it's worth watching the Japanese version purely for the guy who does the voice of Sato.
Attack on Titan -- You've probably heard of it, hell it's even been airing on American TV. Good action and one of those shows where you probably shouldn't get too attached to any characters.
Black Lagoon -- Another classic action show. Watch the dub, the dialogue and colorful nature work so much better in English.
Death Parade -- Interesting show based off of what I think was a one off OVA or something, plot is a little hard to explain better off watching the first few eps.
Fate/Stay Night franchise -- Personally I never saw the original adaptation from 2006 but from what I hear I didn't miss much. Fate/Zero and Unlimited Blade Works are both worth a watch though if you watch Zero first you'll really hate the characters from UBW. Viewing order doesn't matter though. Fate/Zero is one of the best English voice jobs of any show I've seen and would recommend it.
Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood -- I never finished the original FMA airing but from everything I've heard, outside of them blazing through a lot of potential content in the first few episodes of FMA:B, Brotherhood is far superior in every way. Fantastic show and well worth the watch even if it is 64 episodes. Also recommend the dub version.
Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex (I & II) -- The tv series based in the universe. Vastly superior to the movie, highly recommend it.
Jin Roh The Wolf Brigade -- Movie that came out in 1999. Absolutely fantastic, bit of an alternate "what if" Japan in the post WW2 timeframe.
Knights of Sidonia -- Same studio that did Ajin. Think Battlestar Galactica but replace the cylons with some ugly ass tyranid/zerg type enemy. English dub seemed pretty solid from what I saw, I had originally watched it as it aired as the English version is Netflix only and came out after the season(s) had ended.
Mob Psycho 100 and One Punch Man -- Two show adaptations of mangas by the same author. OPM is pretty much a pitch perfect spoof of everything super hero related, especially older shows like DBZ. Mob Psycho is... different? Gotta watch to really get a feel for it. Don't give up after a few episodes, I was about to drop it but glad I kept going.
Mobile Suit Gundam franchise -- I haven't seen them all but if someone wants to chime in with their opinions feel free. The currently running Iron Blooded Orphans is probably the most grounded in reality you get excepting 08th MS Team.
The Seven Deadly Sins (Nanatsu no Tazai) -- Really cool adventure/fantasy show about 7 badasses although the 7th has still yet to be seen in either the show or the manga (I think?). There's a 4 episode OVA series that came out that takes place immediately after the first season and another season should be along at some point.
Overlord -- The only "stuck in a game" series I'll recommend. Considered Log Horizon but there's too much filler and season 2's art just bugs the fuck out of me. Overlord is about a guy who doesn't log out of a video game on the day the servers are supposed to go down and even though they never explain how the tech works I'm assuming it's VR based like a bunch of other "stuck in a game" shows. Servers don't go down and now he's part of the world as, what he thinks to be, the only player still left. NPC's go from just static functions to actually developing personalities and whatnot. Short at only 12 or 13 episodes and I believe a season 2 is coming at some point.
Psycho Pass -- Haven't actually finished it myself but plan to at some point. Similar thematically to Minority Report, future Japan has developed a system that can monitor the mental status of people and whatnot.
Samurai Champloo -- Samurai based show directed by the same guy who did Cowboy Bebop. Watch it in English.
Steins;Gate -- Show based around time travel. Usually I hate that premise but the show is absolutely fantastic. Also one of the shows I'd recommend the English dub on, the cast does a great job.

I'm probably missing tons of good stuff but this is what I could find right off hand

No Game No Life
Juuni Kokki (The Twelve Kingdoms)
Initial D. All of them. (I'm a nerd for racing shows)
Baby Steps
DanMachi
GATE
Haikyuu!!
Log Horizon
Shokugeki no Soma
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei
Full Metal Panic & FMP: Fumoffu!
Paprika (movie)
Haibane Renmei
Parasyte
Gundam Build Fighters & Gundam Build Fighters: Try
Death Note
RahXephon

• 1Like

Malkav

French Madman
Tanya is so so good, nothing else really compares to it this season. The only other things I've stuck with watching are Little Witch Academia, Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, Gabriel Dropout, Acca 13, Akiba's Trip and Konosuba S2. Next season looks pretty stacked with good shows, I'm excited for it.

Kinda looks like a similar playlist to mine. You should try Demi-Chan. Decided against it at the start of the season because "uuurgh monster girls", but watched the 9 episodes in the last two days and it's actually quite fun/cute.

• 1Like

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
I've watched a few episodes of Demi-Chan, and I liked them, but they didn't really hook me like the ones I listed did. I'll probably give it another shot though.

• 1Like

Fadaar

That guy
I like that show because the characters aren't a bunch of whiny cunts and actually have decent personalities which is more than you can say for 99% of the high school based shows.

• 1Like

Malkav

French Madman
I like that show because the characters aren't a bunch of whiny cunts and actually have decent personalities which is more than you can say for 99% of the high school based shows.

And the teacher is actually believable and a competent educator.

And of course, Hikari is awesome.

• 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
So I lucked into a ticket to see the SAO movie Ordinal Scale on Thursday on the big screen at a local theater here around Chicago.

Supposedly it's pretty great visuals and audio. May be kinda weird reading subs in a movie theater (never done that before honestly.)
They were playing this in Hawaii as well. $15 for a ticket, and it was playing on the largest this island has. I would say less than 10 empty seats in the house (of around 500). I really enjoyed the movie, but didn't enjoy the audience that much. I know that I'm an otaku (nerd), but Jesus Christ. These fuckers are pathetic. The theater was probably 75% younger guys. 16 to early 20's. There were a few adult families, or adult singles (I'm 35, and was solo). Some boyfriend girlfriend types. Anyway, it was a truly pathetic audience. The audible gasps from guys when Kirito and Asuna kissed. Or he "fell" into her boobs. Followed by lots of comments of "I didn't think this was a Hentai!"

They squealed like children when they were fighting the "big boss" and unveiled their final form.

Anyway, the movie was awesome. I'm glad that I went to see it. It's probably the best kind of end for SAO that I could imagine. These people need to get their dicks wet. I'm pretty sure that I was never that bad while being a younger anime nerd.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
They were playing this in Hawaii as well. $15 for a ticket, and it was playing on the largest this island has. I would say less than 10 empty seats in the house (of around 500). I really enjoyed the movie, but didn't enjoy the audience that much. I know that I'm an otaku (nerd), but Jesus Christ. These fuckers are pathetic. The theater was probably 75% younger guys. 16 to early 20's. There were a few adult families, or adult singles (I'm 35, and was solo). Some boyfriend girlfriend types. Anyway, it was a truly pathetic audience. The audible gasps from guys when Kirito and Asuna kissed. Or he "fell" into her boobs. Followed by lots of comments of "I didn't think this was a Hentai!"

They squealed like children when they were fighting the "big boss" and unveiled their final form.

Anyway, the movie was awesome. I'm glad that I went to see it. It's probably the best kind of end for SAO that I could imagine. These people need to get their dicks wet. I'm pretty sure that I was never that bad while being a younger anime nerd.

I pretty much agree with this. Though this isn't the End for SAO. After the credits they basically confirmed season 3 sometime.

I enjoyed the movie immensely. I probably had the strangest take that anyone has for this movie.

It was great but if you look at the story and the implications..this movie had elements of several Black Mirror episodes hah.

• 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I suck. Left right after the movie instead of staying for possible after credits goodness.

• 1Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Is this new? The second season for Overlord was announced to be under production yesterday. I'm hyped!

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
It's news but it was always going to be the case. The sales for Overlord are really good.

• 2Like

Soulfire

Golden Knight of the Realm
That latest episode of Gundam, Damn... Im not seeing much of a way out for Tekkadan out of their current position. Still got quite a few episodes left before the end. I hope Lok, Rustal and that blonde chick all get taken out in the most gruesome way possible. With Barbatos's mace all the way up their ass.

• 2Like

Gromit

Golden Knight of the Realm
McGillis better pull some amazing magic outa his ass for this go well.

• 1Like

Leon

<Silver Donator>
Yeah this is not gonna end well for tekkadan.

Fuck I know it's coming but I can't stop watching.

• 1Like