Witcher 3

Phelps McManus

<Silver Donator>
Just play 3. I tried 1 and hated the combat, but I really liked it in 3. I didn't know any of the story from the previous games, and I thought this one was fantastic.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
I would at least read a summary of the first two. Witcher 2 is worth a play through. W1, not so much. It has not aged well.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Yeah I never played the others, but watched like a 10 minute max video on YouTube that outlined the world and past games.

Jais

Trakanon Raider
After playing Witcher 3 twice (NG+) I went all in for a completion run, bought the books, played 1 and 2 and am now like 15 hours back into 3.

I just played 1 and 2 on "easy" and 3 on Death March.

My gaming has out paced my reading so I've still fucked up the order.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
They all do such a good job of being independent stories set in a larger world.

The only real thing I gained from the backstory was a better understanding of characters relationships, but even then they do a great job of explaining it all.

Really, the books and first two games are just a pleasant read/watch for story but aren't at all needed to enjoy. Just more great stories in an awesome world,

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
I played 2 with a bugged mod that ended up with me having one hit kills on everything. Much preferred combat.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Books are great for understanding Geralt/Yen relationship. That one quest in Skellige made me almost chop onions...

spronk

FPS noob
I hated witcher 1 & 2 and only played 3 and had no problems following the story. Its a pretty simple story, and the characters you meet all have bios and stuff you can read up. No need to play the previous at all. I probably would have enjoyed more some of the character stuff, especially dudes like the witcher assassin or the healer but I never felt lost.

the books are all right, the first few are decent but its similar to wheel of time, etc where characters become extremely one dimensional. If stuff like malazan or kingkiller is 10/10 fantasy, then witcher books is closer to 6/10. I thought the witcher 3 story / characters / sidequests were WAY, WAY better than the books, and apparently the author of the books is a bit angry at the games.

amazing triss cosplay

Last edited:

Noahx

N00b
Just finished 3. Never played 1 or 2. If anyone is looking for a good game to play for 80hrs or so - give this a go. Suspect it will go on sale with the winter season coming - i'll probably pick up the DLCs if they go cheap.

I'd suggest the following if you are new to Witchering
- Read Witch 1 & 2 summary. Few Reddit posts have these... takes 1-2 minutes max
- Just a few mods make it a lot more fun. Nexus has them all... Remove weight restrictions, Auto Apply Oil, Fast Travel, Improve item durability ... (there are several mod choices to do all these things)
- Adjust the gamma in Full Screen mode (if you have lighting issues)

As for the game play / character
- Advancing the character is a no brainer. If you focus in specific areas you'll do better. There are a few OP skills like +1 toxic for each learned alchemy, Quen health shield,... but nothing will cripple your dude.
- Read the main plot quests / pay attention to them right from the beginning. If not, you'll probably go 1/3rd thru the game just slashing/quest completing without knowing what you are doing.
- Yes you will feel like you are just chasing someone/thing... enjoy the journey... The Baron... The Crones... just Boating around the sea... the nudity.
- Your choice will change the endings... some feel / seem better than others

If I was to do this again, I'd probably just do it on Easy or Storymode and approach it like enjoying a movie. The combat is annoying still but workable. I didn't get into Gwent but if you wanna, read up on it and play away.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Heart of Stone had better story IMO, but Blood and Wine is bigger than most games and still keeps the quality, so both of them are no-brainers.

dechire

Bronze Knight of the Realm
35 years of playing video games. Witcher 3 is my all time favorite. YMMV.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Smuggly
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
So I finally got around to buying this last night. Was dumb and didn't even notice a GOTY version that included all the DLC for $10 more. Is the DLC worth it? Should I buy the season pass?

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Damn. Well I guess I'll just spend $15 more on it than I should have.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
I wouldn't even feel bad about paying a little extra, CDPR deserves every penny.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Damn. Well I guess I'll just spend $15 more on it than I should have.

You've made a very wise decision....

latest?cb=20151016111617