World of Warcraft: Current Year

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Either way, you can generally be good with effort. Old players had that down, they'd do fine today.

Then again I feel like doing Dire Maul's Prince & King were just about as hard as these higher end Mythic +s. Mainly just because aggro was actually a thing and mana had to be managed a lot more. Game definitely plays a lot faster that's for sure.

GonzytheMage

Golden Knight of the Realm
Let's be real, moving your mouse and moving more in a DDR fashion, although maybe more difficult with coordination (?) is nothing incredibly difficult. It's all about effort. If the players from back then wanted to put in the effort they would be good today as well. The difficulty of yesteryear was putting in all the overtime and additional effort other players didn't want. Not being a retard also helped.

But it usually equates to effort. Do fights require more movement & execution of mechanics? Sure. Did the past days of MMOs require quite a bit more effort. Yes.

I've been raiding since 2001 practically non stop since I started. I've been server best all the way to server irrelevant. The biggest difference I can tell now compared back to then is I don't have all the disposable time I used to have. Raiding is breaking down fights into smaller parts and executing a rotation without interuption optimally. Skills I don't think diminish too badly but more often that not sitting down to excel at the raid is not the only thing on my mind. Sometimes I'm also setting down to raid dead tired from weekly activities so again performance suffers or at least varies from day to day. The other biggest thing with older raiders is burnout and quite frankly they won't put up with retarded shit of today's gamer.

TLDR, fire is still hot and 30-50 year olds can't still move out of it. Now get off my lawn.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Then again I feel like doing Dire Maul's Prince & King were just about as hard as these higher end Mythic +s. Mainly just because aggro was actually a thing and mana had to be managed a lot more. Game definitely plays a lot faster that's for sure.
No. You are a terrible player, play with terrible players, or don't do above mythic+2

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
the number of raiders currently is staggering, in EQ you knew all the 2-3 top end guilds on your server and most of the players. In WoW there are 200-300 top end guilds per server and youve probably never met anyone in 90% of those nor can you recognize their guild tag.

I think the key things that stops people from being good raiders is the twitch game play, in EQ i very rarely (if it all) had to press buttons while moving, in WoW there is more twitch reaction where i need to be finger jamming about 2-3 buttons while moving around/into/out-of glowing spots on the floor.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
the number of raiders currently is staggering, in EQ you knew all the 2-3 top end guilds on your server and most of the players. In WoW there are 200-300 top end guilds per server and youve probably never met anyone in 90% of those nor can you recognize their guild tag.

I think the key things that stops people from being good raiders is the twitch game play, in EQ i very rarely (if it all) had to press buttons while moving, in WoW there is more twitch reaction where i need to be finger jamming about 2-3 buttons while moving around/into/out-of glowing spots on the floor.

I agree with this, we knew who top dogs were even across servers. Nowadays you often hear people ask "btw who is top guild on our server?" and noone even knows. Some people follow twitch and "x" forums or w.e and remain in the know but i dont think many bother with that. I personally havent remembered who a top guild was since i left jugg in TBC. I dont have the time/desire to raid that hard anymore and even if i did i wouldnt want to. I've always hated how mythic worked in WoW and my opinion remains on it, but i think PVP took a turn for the better this xpac, atleast it seemed better, i'd have to actually try it out to know it tho :p

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
I remember when I first came to WoW, it was with some folks from my casual EQ guild. We had one guy who was a typical cleric that went priest, but quit after a while because he couldn't handle the movement necessities. All these years later and I still get a laugh from it. I think people in general like the twitch gameplay, and it eventually grows on them. There's something about the sensory input that appeals to people's brains, like cats chasing laser pointers.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I kind of wonder what the next major iteration on the "raiding" dynamic will be.

The first generation (EQ obviously but also DAOC etc.) was all about just getting a ton of people together and capable of taking down a monster. The mechanics were incredibly basic and had to do more with ability cooldown usage and coordination than anything else.

Second generation was EQ2 and WoW vanilla through WotLK where the numbers of people involved were reduced to 40 and then further reduced to 25/10, but more varied strategies came about involving enemy abilities. Vanilla was all about Cleanse / Remove Curse and spreading/clumping as necessary and not too much changed from then through the end of the Lich King.

Third generation was Rift and WoW from Cata till now and considered a steady increase in "standing in fire" mechanics to the extent where we have giant pools of various kinds of crap all over the damn place. The primary danger comes not from adds so much as it is moving ground effects / clouds / waves / etc. which create situations that force small scale movement to dodge shit rather than large-scale movement to get in the right universal position.

Fourth generation was WildStar with the crazy use of telegraph attacks both from players and enemies. There has been some of this applied to WoW in the form of telegraphed abilities, but no where near the level seen in WildStar and certainly not in weird patterns.

So while First Gen raiding was all about stamina and herding cats, the present day is mainly continuous repositioning while weaving through a series of chained abilities that reward continuous attention and maintenance of the rotation.

If I were to identify a flaw in the current implementation it would be a lack of tactical decision making. Success today is not at all about making tactical choices, but rather about reading a predefined strategy in recipe format and then executing it. I would say WoW today has much more in common with Dance Dance Revolution than it does pen-and-paper Dungeons and Dragons. Heck, the content is brand new and people expect everyone to "know the strats" to the extent that there is a guide to each encounter that summarizes the abilities used and phases of the battle provided within the game itself!

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
in WoW there is more twitch reaction where i need to be finger jamming about 2-3 buttons while moving around/into/out-of glowing spots on the floor.
And then, you are a shadow priest who has to alternate between different rotations as often as possible.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
The primary danger comes not from adds so much as it is moving ground effects / clouds / waves / etc. which create situations that force small scale movement to dodge shit rather than large-scale movement to get in the right universal position.
I positively loathe the creeping vines from Cenarius, who are tracking invisibly some random dude in your raid.

If I were to identify a flaw in the current implementation it would be a lack of tactical decision making.
Yes. At the moment, the entirety of raiding is drilling a reflex "debuff #3! Move toward this designated spot!".

At the same time, if you had to make meaningful on-the-spot tactical decisions rather than pre-defined snap reactions, you would probably break 80% of normal and heroic raids.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
It is known

Khane knows now

Where else would he go 7/7H in one night
Pfft wouod have gotten Ursoc if goddamn daughter was not heing a little shit. Read like 30 stories last night. Wife read her little red riding hood the other night and now she is terrified at bedtime

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
And then, you are a shadow priest who has to alternate between different rotations as often as possible.

Hey sir, I rather enjoy my class. Its not boring af like a lot of the others and Im consistently in the top 3 dps.

WoW's difficulty only comes from the encounter as much as the people you are raiding with. If you read about it, it takes all of maybe 3 or 4 attempts to have a 70% ( I guess? ) personal success ratio. Meaning, on the 5th time Ive faced the encounter - I should have a solid understanding of what to expect. What is starting to present a real challenge is when two abilities will work together that can produce a lethal situation and knowing how to handle that situation is key. I usually only encounter that situation in Mythic +'s.

For instance, if you knew the last encounter in Mythic Maw + but not intimately, you may not know that you shouldnt stand in the back of the room when she gets ready to push all of you back. Creating a green puddle at your feet in the back of the room, where she will slam you back into that green puddle after you've ran out of it and you'll die. Simply not standing in the back of the room before she gets ready to do her KB is essential.

I enjoyed Wild Star because that games DDR was just nuts. I cant remember the name of the instance with the Dragon at the end, but running around the room in her hurricane esque abilitiy that encompassed the whole floor was exhilerating when you beat that shit. Even after doing it multiple times, that encounter was just a rush.

At the end of the day, still, if your group doesnt know wtf is going on and hasnt gave enough fucks to even watch a video on an encounter - you're dead fucking weight and its holding any player that does care, back.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Shadow Priest is insanely good in the right hands atm. Insane damage and a CD to heal all your pals during raid wide damage. 15% of the 250-260k I see decent ones doing is mighty nice on top of whatever the resto druid has going before the damage goes out.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Forgot to kill world boss on my mage this week so I went over to do it and one of the tanks died right before the boss did and said "no credit again" in raid chat for the WQ... except he got loot (lucky bastard got the trinket).

So it apparently wasn't the first time he killed the boss this week and also apparently still got loot AND didn't get credit again. Wonder if that's exploitable to kill world bosses over and over for loot.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Forgot to kill world boss on my mage this week so I went over to do it and one of the tanks died right before the boss did and said "no credit again" in raid chat for the WQ... except he got loot (lucky bastard got the trinket).

So it apparently wasn't the first time he killed the boss this week and also apparently still got loot AND didn't get credit again. Wonder if that's exploitable to kill world bosses over and over for loot.
Fuck that'd be amazing for withered jim. All dat mast/vers gear

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
When I killed the world boss on my druid I was dead when he died but I still got credit for the world quest and got loot. I was in a raid. Maybe if you are dead and solo and only tag his adds but not the main boss?

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
i killed that fucker 3 times, got the shitty crit ring and then burned 3 bonus rolls for the trinket, fuck that dude.

Who is the world boss this week?