World of Warcraft: Current Year

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Yes. Since I had to make new characters to play the game again, I picked out classes that were ranked the highest in Mythic+ and Mythic Raiding. Of course thats Affliction Warlock and Vengeance Demon Hunter Tank. (I rarely play healers, so I didnt level one.) Damn if they dont have a Charge, a hunter-like disengage, and two fucking charges of leap. Lets not forget that they have Double Jump and Glide as a base standard. Monk comes close, but there is just no contest.

Like the developers just dont seem to understand (or care?) why the Demon Hunter and Monk are considered so highly. Yet, they leave the Protection Paladin with basically the same defenses, insignificant heals because theyve been nerfed to death, and limited mobility.

Can confirm VDH is S tier in M+ again this expac. No tank comes close for obvious reasons above.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Burns

Like the developers just dont seem to understand (or care?) why the Demon Hunter and Monk are considered so highly. Yet, they leave the Protection Paladin with basically the same defenses, insignificant heals because theyve been nerfed to death, and limited mobility.
Demon Hunters, sure, but I think monks are the least played class (outside of the brand new evokers locked to a ugly ass race)? Every time I play, the DPS spec has been bottom 50%, tank was mid tier, and healer was difficult to play because it's heavily cooldown reliant. The DPS spec specifically seems to have a competition with Ret and Enhancement on who stays in the dumpster the longest.

Dunno if this means much:
2024-08-23 22.44.22 www.dataforazeroth.com 3d0d3c4f2c4d.png

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I don't give a shit about lore personally, I've been playing Lost Ark past week, and that VLT will give you brain damage if you pay too much attention.

I'll be damned if I'm not bored as fuck right now though, I'm so fucking bored I loaded up Star Trek Online again FFS, and that shit is completely fagged up. First fucking quest I do on there has a gay hologram from Discovery crying about his (not actually his) dead lover, rather than focusing on the fact the fucking universe is about to be destroyed.

I can stand a little gay, I don't care about fruit bowls, the real question is: is it actually fun? SL was ok for a few weeks, if this at least matches up with that I may say fuck it.

If Metzen actually has control over this now, and really has been toning down the stupid shit, it's probably the first glimmer of hope this game has combined with the sale to MS.

Not gonna lie, always liked chasing mounts/achievements/ect, after a few expansions probably have that to fall back on at least. Long as they didn't fuck up fishing, WoW has the best "chill" version of fishing out of any MMO, and it can actually be rewarding. So if that got changed to something gay, then fuck no.

I don't think anyone on this forum would put Dragonflight or War Within over Shadowlands.

I plan on buying it, but I accept it's not likely to meet SL on the fun and interesting scale.

• 1WTF

Burns

I don't think anyone on this forum would put Dragonflight or War Within over Shadowlands.

I plan on buying it, but I accept it's not likely to meet SL on the fun and interesting scale.
Wat? Shadowlands sucked. Worst Xpac by far... well maybe not by far, but under BFA.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Wat? Shadowlands sucked. Worst Xpac by far... well maybe not by far, but under BFA.

Shadowlands:

Old stories and familiar characters in hero roles. Check.

Fairly interesting zone design and art even in it's simplicity. Check.

Decently badass big bad. Check.

Dragonflight:

Nameless ZXqyergolpkxiv Qvic named raid dragons and quest NPCs that nobody gives a fuck about. Check.

Somehow even more soulless and empty than a completely fractured Shadowlands afterlife where everything is actually dead. Irony. Check.

Theme that nobody gives a fuck about. Check.

• 1WTF
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 users

Burns

Shadowlands:

Old stories and familiar characters in hero roles. Check.

Fairly interesting zone design. Check.

Decently badass big bad. Check.

Dragonflight:

Nameless ZXqyergolpkxiv Qvic named raid dragons and quest NPCs that nobody gives a fuck about. Check.

Somehow even more soulless and empty than a completely fractured Shadowlands afterlife. Irony. Check.

Theme that nobody gives a fuck about. Check.
Lore mostly died at the end of Panda/beginning of WoD. They had a renaissance with Legion, but they couldn't hold that line and went straight back into the trash. Furthermore, the Wafu Silvanas writing with the Jailer and Anduin sidekick storyline was fucking retarded.

The Dragonflight storyline was equally retarded and also easy to skip. At least it had fun Dragonriding and real talent trees.

Dungeons and raids were the same as always. M+ sucked in both because it gets old, fast (as always). Zone design and dailies were about the same. They even both had the same rep grind set up, although it was at least easier/not as timegated in Dragonflight.

Edit: Oh, not being able to switch out reputation skills in Shadowlands was one of the most retarded moves they ever pulled. Hybrid classes that wanted to play 2 or 3 different rolls got specifically boned on that front, for around half the xpac or longer.

Last edited:

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Lore mostly died at the end of Panda/beginning of WoD. They had a renaissance with Legion, but they couldn't hold that line and went straight back into the trash. Furthermore, the Wafu Silvanas writing with the Jailer and Anduin sidekick storyline was fucking retarded.

The Dragonflight storyline was equally retarded and also easy to skip. At least it had fun Dragonriding and real talent trees.

Dungeons and raids were the same as always. M+ sucked in both because it gets old, fast (as always). Zone design and dailies were about the same. They even both had the same rep grind set up, although it was at least easier/not as timegated in Dragonflight.

Point being he said 2-3 weeks of fun. Shadowlands had novelty fun for a short time. Sure if you played the expac out, it was disappointing and sucked-- similarly to how War Within is likely to play out. He asked if this is going to be at least 2 weeks of fun like Shadowlands, and the answer is probably not unless Delves are really that fun.

M+ Shadowlands still had a very active pro MDI scene because it had skips/routes and skips make or break whether M+ is good or not. Dragonflight M+ fell off a cliff in participation that they shouldn't have even held an MDI because so many teams had pulled out of the expansion before beta even ended.

Burns

Point being he said 2-3 weeks of fun. Shadowlands had novelty fun for a short time. Sure if you played the expac out, it was disappointing and sucked-- similarly to how War Within is likely to play out. He asked if this is going to be at least 2 weeks of fun like Shadowlands, and the answer is probably not unless Delves are really that fun.

M+ Shadowlands still had a very active pro MDI scene because it had skips/routes and skips make or break whether M+ is good or not. Dragonflight M+ fell off a cliff in participation that they shouldn't have even held an MDI because so many teams had pulled out of the expansion before beta even ended.
...and you said no one here would put Dragonflight over Shadowlands, when I would expect the exact opposite. If you want to go further, the first months of Dragonflight were better received than Shadowlands. I would expect this xpac to be on par with everything since Legion... for the first month at least.

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
...and you said no one here would put Dragonflight over Shadowlands, when I would expect the exact opposite. If you want to go further, the first months of Dragonflight were better received than Shadowlands. I would expect this xpac to be on par with everything since Legion.

Comes down to whether you value mechanics over setting when talking about short term fun.

"Damn those Dragonflight mechanics really sold me bro" Mechanics aren't going to make or break an expansion for someone that isn't actively playing WoW as their main game. Only sock types are going to claim mechanics are the reason Dragonflight was more short term fun.

To someone coming back to or coming from outside of WoW, they could care less about how great the "mechanics" are if they are only playing for 2 to 3 weeks.

How good is the War Within mechanically? Who really cares? It's not going to make it a yay or nay to someone looking to play casually.

Burns

Comes down to whether you value mechanics over setting when talking about short term fun.

"Damn those Dragonflight mechanics really sold me bro" Mechanics aren't going to make or break an expansion for someone that isn't actively playing WoW as their main game. Only sock types are going to claim mechanics are the reason Dragonflight was more short term fun.

To someone coming back to or coming from outside of WoW, they could care less about how great the "mechanics" are if they are only playing for 2 to 3 weeks.

How good is the War Within mechanically? Who really cares? It's not going to make it a yay or nay to someone looking to play casually.
I played both Dragonflight and Shadowlands for around a month. It was for mechanics.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I played both Dragonflight and Shadowlands for around a month. It was for mechanics.

Dragonflight was being marketed on mechanics. There was a whole push behind it from Blizzard's marketing. So I'd expect that answer to be influenced by the expansion theme of Dragonflight "NOW THIS IS MECHANICS!" pod-racing push-- since the expac had literally nothing else going for it besides "come check out these stripped down mechanics".

War Within should have followed a Shadowlands story reset, because thematically that makes the most sense. Dragonflight is an abortion no matter who had what kind of fun with dragonriding and mechanics. Everyone knows this whole reset should have happened after SL, Dragonflight is a detour.

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
With SL I simply wasn't interested enough beyond the initial chunk of content, the tower got old really fast, as did that all the daily shit. I think I made it a month purely because of Voldeth Voldeth and the fact he is always so gungho about helping guildies out, even us casual scrubs (Bro needs some kind medal on here, honestly)

If the content held my interest, and I had at least a handful of people to do it with, I'd stick around longer than a few weeks. If the raids are still dance dance revolution type shit, I'll likely fade fast, just not physically capable doing that kinda shit anymore, I started getting like that at end of Legion, long before I knew i had MS.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Lmao so there's a scaling bug where you can run +15 keys on an 80 in DF and get 593 gear. However you get one shot for some reason (maybe this is a compromise thing for EA?) but if you get carried by 70s you can farm to the gear and get ahead.

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
Seems like a ridiculous waste of time for gear that isn’t even that good. I’m sure dozens of people are doing it.

krismunich

<Silver Donator>
Played through campaign and did all the "Sojourner of" side quests. I don't know what to say, plays like someone took all the mechanics from past expansions and mixed them together. Also I have yet to see a single new texture.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I play Alliance so maybe this is faction dependent, but are there any Horde characters in this expansion plotline? So far it's Anduin + Moira & Dagran + Alleria + Bran & Magni. Thrall was there with Jaina for a hot second at the start but then they both left to get reinforcements.

• 1Truth!

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
BfA was the worst xpac I ever played. Just absolute garbage from start to finish. I never played Shadowlands as a result, so maybe that was worse? DF was actually decent. If you enjoy tradeskills it was actually almost great.

• 1Like

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider

What insanity is this? Shadowlands was not well received, especially by this board. Torghast sucked and people hated The Maw which was a significant part of progression. Meanwhile people actually enjoyed the dragon flying. The statement you're looking for is "no one would put any recent expansion ahead of Legion" rather than arguing which pile of shit smelled less bad.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So EA kinda screwed with a lot of things in weird ways based on what was blocked off.

Delves so far are... Ok. Some of the mechanics are really awful, like the spore things that agro on you and when they get low explode doing lots of damage and knocking you back. Well the problem is that you can never kill them. So basically you and to with areas that have a bunch of mobs and some of these spores and it's just kinda pinball and burn through it.

So far I'm not seeing anything like MT was where it's consistent punishing but beatable mechanics that you could feel better about as your gear curve went up over time.