World of Warcraft: Current Year

Chris

Potato del Grande
We have a new king.

Lol at the comments.

People complaining there wouldn't be enough keybinds. You can get about 36 with one shoulderpad press, with two it's exponentially more.

People complaining you can't heal. There's a quick and easy targeting system using dpad to cycle through party or raid targets.

I'm at 2100. These people need to admit that either this works, or that their game is easy. There's a whole other MMO where this is half the players and the raids are far more difficult.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Lol at the comments.

People complaining there wouldn't be enough keybinds. You can get about 36 with one shoulderpad press, with two it's exponentially more.

People complaining you can't heal. There's a quick and easy targeting system using dpad to cycle through party or raid targets.

I'm at 2100. These people need to admit that either this works, or that their game is easy. There's a whole other MMO where this is half the players and the raids are far more difficult.
(The amount of) Key binds arent the issue. I think I use something like 17-18 on average, and 3 more "if it gets bad enough" buttons. So around ~21 at most. Fluxuating with different trinkets. I think the biggest part about a controller and key binds would probably just remembering the combination to use a specific spell you dont use that often, when it could simply be a "G" press on a keyboard. Which really, thats the main argument. Not that its impossible. But that to expect the average player to be as proficient as they would playing on a m/k. Or for example, when you harvest an herb. Your chances of harvesting a 3 Star Herb is a lot better with an Herbalism tool, than it is without it (if you catch my analogy).

Unrelated: Theres a guy in the guild that plays a billion alts - and he's proven he can do 7's and 8's in his 590's. If he actually focused and had reliable people to pull from, then he could probably be in the 11's and 12's. Another guy in the guild that does well, and I was impressed by his commitment to PUG's cause he's doing 11's and such.. until I learned he's really just got a handful of friends he plays with constantly from his SOD guild. That doesnt make him any less of a player, but it really points out the fact that .. you need friends to make it into the higher ranks with any speed. Especially when you add in the fact that they use voice chat with each other.. which even Im guilty of not wanting to get into Voice Chat.. so its kinda "meh" to me.

I think its exceptionally hard to PUG as something like a Tank because there are so many other factors that you have to be cognoscente of. I need to get an addon that tells me what CD's the healer has and be aware of what those CD's are, thats for sure. Just so I know I can string trash packs together. But it has to be specific trash packs, because I cant have multiple tank busters in the group, which means I have to know the mob makeup of every single group and to be aware of what their tank busters are called...

But to also be wary of low DPS as a whole. I could have saved myself 20 minutes (out of 35) if I had just figured out that the PUG I was in had DPS was exceptionally low for the Key we were in, in GB. We scathed by on the first two bosses by maximizing Defensives and Healing cooldowns to maximum - only to realize that on the last boss.. fuck man, there is no where to fucking run on your 7th, 8th, 9th fucking tentacle wave. Never mind fucking cool downs and bubbling through them. The tentacles are your legit soft enrage and Ive never encountered just a field of those fuckers before because the healer and I were doing our job as best as we knew how. But gah' damn, 400-600k on that key just aint cutting it, and thats with Lust. The second boss, I had already cleared the trash all the way to the door on the left side by stringing those 3 NPC packs together. That extra room helped, and Ive never had to go that far before.

Last edited:

Chris

Potato del Grande
Key binds arent the issue. I think I use something like 17-18 on average, and 3 more "if it gets bad enough" buttons. So around ~21 at most. Fluxuating with different trinkets. I think the biggest part about a controller and key binds would probably just be remembering the combination to use a specific spell you dont use that often, when it could simply be a "G" press on a keyboard. Which really, thats the main argument. Not that its impossible. But that to expect the average player to be as proficient as they would playing on a m/k. Or for example, when you harvest an herb. Your chances of harvesting a 3 Star Herb is a lot better with an Herbalism tool, than it is without it (if you catch my analogy).
It's laid out visually on the screen with tooltip pictures and spell names, so if you need a niche skill you can press L2, R2 or L2R2 and look through your abilities in 3 seconds.

Realistically you'll have your random crap on L2R2 so you'll get it in 1 second. I have general themes and patterns mapped out to help muscle memory - like L2 may be all the tank abilities and R2 all the DPS cooldowns.

It's literally the same speed as a Mouse/Keyboard and it's easier to learn, not harder. I didn't use shift/control/alt hotkeys at all when I raided Black Temple and Sunwell - I used 0-9 and maybe or or two letters. The niche stuff was slow mouse clicks.

The main drawback is it being a 3rd party addon so play outside of combat is a bit clunky sometimes. You also need to set it up and make tweaks as you get used to it.

You can try out a simple version of the cross hotbar control scheme in Path of Exile.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Unrelated: Theres a guy in the guild that plays a billion alts - and he's proven he can do 7's and 8's in his 590's. If he actually focused and had reliable people to pull from, then he could probably be in the 11's and 12's. Another guy in the guild that does well, and I was impressed by his commitment to PUG's cause he's doing 11's and such.. until I learned he's really just got a handful of friends he plays with constantly from his SOD guild. That doesnt make him any less of a player, but it really points out the fact that .. you need friends to make it into the higher ranks with any speed. Especially when you add in the fact that they use voice chat with each other.. which even Im guilty of not wanting to get into Voice Chat.. so its kinda "meh" to me.

Running with a static friend group also insulates the group from the big freakout in 10 key when someone dies. The fact is 1 death can't kill a PUG 10 key right now, hell if we're being honest, 2-3 or even 4 deaths can't kill most PUG 10 keys right now because people are so geared out and know which comps work best. But in a PUG any death at all incites panic, and someone will start up the hysterics as soon as it happens. Someone will have something to say or flame instantly. This hysteria is a huge key-killer as people become tilted and agitated and start throwing the key, missing basic mechanics they'd normally ace if the group wasn't getting flamed and threats with leavers.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
Running with a static friend group also insulates the group from the big freakout in 10 key when someone dies. The fact is 1 death can't kill a PUG 10 key right now, hell if we're being honest, 2-3 or even 4 deaths can't kill most PUG 10 keys right now because people are so geared out and know which comps work best. But in a PUG any death at all incites panic, and someone will start up the hysterics as soon as it happens. Someone will have something to say or flame instantly. This hysteria is a huge key-killer as people become tilted and agitated and start throwing the key, missing basic mechanics they'd normally ace if the group wasn't getting flamed and threats with leavers.
Yeah hysteria is the right word.

Any group that quickly IDed the issue and went again met the timer, any group that had someone complain failed the timer.

I didn't even get to 10 so there was even more leeway to fuck up.