World of Warcraft: Current Year

Dalien

Registered Hodor
Yeah, I care much more about open world fighting than I do about endgame raid metas, so warlock is probably fine.

I play aff lock, as others have said it's great for outdoors etc. Having your own pocket Voidwalker that you can heal lets you kill a lot of stuff that other classes can't.

In group content affliction can do good damage on longer fights under ideal conditions. The biggest problem in dungeons and such is that your damage has a lot of ramp up time (applying all of your dots) before you can start bursting out big damage. It's also very punishing on raid bosses if you pop all your shit and when it's time to nuke, you get hit by a mechanic or have to move a lot.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
EQ is still going.
The Realm is still going.

WoW will be around for a long time. Its just a question of when it will get put on life support, ie. reuse art assets for an entire expansion. Thats why I think an entire expansion going back "home" and "rebuilding" would be a great scape goat in the grand scheme of not fucking up anything and reestablishing lore etc. Its the expansion that I "thought" we were were going to get when they said that at the end of SL's we're going home and everything will be different. I was thinking/hoping for Cataclysm level of changes.

krismunich

<Silver Donator>
Not sure wow is cheap enough to run on backburner support. With the blade sales back then we learned that one realm for 5k people took 50 blades plus DB storage and things got more taxing with all the phasing lately. So if a lot of people leave because slow content or "shows over" attitude they also might pull an EA because loosing money. Also they would really need to throw everyone together on a handful of servers and give up a lot of the exotic localization.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Goonsquad Officer
Not sure wow is cheap enough to run on backburner support. With the blade sales back then we learned that one realm for 5k people took 50 blades plus DB storage and things got more taxing with all the phasing lately. So if a lot of people leave because slow content or "shows over" attitude they also might pull an EA because loosing money. Also they would really need to throw everyone together on a handful of servers and give up a lot of the exotic localization.
is that a lot? i don't know the server requirements for other mmos

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
If its profitable for EQ to stay online no reason WoW wont be viable to keep in a zombie state unless WoW has a truly atrocious back end.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
The Realm is still going.

WoW will be around for a long time. Its just a question of when it will get put on life support, ie. reuse art assets for an entire expansion. Thats why I think an entire expansion going back "home" and "rebuilding" would be a great scape goat in the grand scheme of not fucking up anything and reestablishing lore etc. Its the expansion that I "thought" we were were going to get when they said that at the end of SL's we're going home and everything will be different. I was thinking/hoping for Cataclysm level of changes.

Reusing art assets has certainly kept EQ going. Most new expansions only have, what, 3 or 4 new models? They've gotten a ton of mileage out of Planes of Power and reusing those zones/mobs, to say the least.

WoW being around for four more expansions (or 10-ish years) is well within the realm of possibility. Though it is likely they'll start dipping more into recycling. I expect the dragon-themed expansion to be full of dragon models from Wrath and classic.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
WoW isnt going to die anytime soon. Mostly because most players believe two completely nonsensical ideas about the game. The new expansion, leveling and story are great experiences. And the raids are great. The leveling process and story have only gotten worse over time. And the raids actually, objectively are uninspired garbage based more on cockblocking progress to keep people subscribed than anything else

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
is that a lot? i don't know the server requirements for other mmos

It depends on what they need for actual infrastructure vs what is available, I don't think it would be overly expensive the servers don't take that much(Unless they got some really weird DB querying going on that requires high-throughput..)

But also some of it is on the Cloud, maybe with MicroSoft experience in Cloud Infrastructure they'll fix some of the latency issues they've had sense going partly cloud based.

krismunich

<Silver Donator>
<quote>is that a lot? i don't know the server requirements for other mmos </quote>

So Ultima Online had a linear scheduler based system, everything on the screen had a queue ID and was handled one after another. You can run an UO server for 500 people on your desktop computer. EQ being a 3D app evolved to a more parallel system with more calculations about other interacting objects factorized. You can run an EQ server for 1000 people on a modern midsize server with a lot of RAM and fast I/O.
What made WOW so taxing and brought what everyone loves about the gameplay is mucgh better client predictions that are also calculated on the server. Timmy the DK grabbed the boss , Bob the mage casts magic missile, I backstabed immediately on the new position of the boss and the druid made a green puddle under us meanwhile those pesky doves flew around us all the time. No rubber banding and no warping for the amount of parallel stuff happening with players having vastly different latencies takes a lot of processing power.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Arent server based calculations also the reason that WoW became near unplayable at one point? I think it was Preach? that had a video back in BFA that had all these dice that represented Corruption, Gems, Talents, Buffs, etc. that were all calculated off a single attack that was also calculated for the other player based on all of their multitude of variables. So Nazjatar, when PVP broke out, became a slide-show when more than 20+ people were fighting in a single area. Could have just been the way the code was implemented, but gameplay was butter smooth otherwise. Im guessing PVE only slightly had a problem because the monster only had one variable to be calculated, rather than a defending players multitude of calculations. But Im also guessing thats another reason WoW doesnt have 40 man raids anymore.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Got something right about marriage
It was way more than just PvP. It happened just sitting in Dazar'alor in BFA. BFA was horribly optimized from top to bottom.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Arent server based calculations also the reason that WoW became near unplayable at one point? I think it was Preach? that had a video back in BFA that had all these dice that represented Corruption, Gems, Talents, Buffs, etc. that were all calculated off a single attack that was also calculated for the other player based on all of their multitude of variables. So Nazjatar, when PVP broke out, became a slide-show when more than 20+ people were fighting in a single area. Could have just been the way the code was implemented, but gameplay was butter smooth otherwise. Im guessing PVE only slightly had a problem because the monster only had one variable to be calculated, rather than a defending players multitude of calculations. But Im also guessing thats another reason WoW doesnt have 40 man raids anymore.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member

This Lore is more intriguing than the entire expansion of Shadowlands thus far.

I look forward to the new expansion of Lore at Riot Games.