X:Rebirth

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
There are plenty of traders around that are ferrying cargo, that actually swap goods with stations. The highway system is probably the worst, since it has both real NPCS traveling between areas and fake ones that try to make the highways more numerous than it really is. Instead of pointless NPCs cluttered about in and out of busy sectors, they've congregated all the 'traffic' into station areas though you can still see the real traders going about their business.
Are you sure? It seems so artificial, and im certain most of the npcs do nothing at all- but i guess I'll have to wait for a nerd to make a real analysis to know for sure. Some of the npcs may have a purpose

bytes

Molten Core Raider
So, what egosoft really sold to the poor souls who picked up the game at release, is a graphics engine with a mod toolkit added on top of it?

Kaosu

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Are you sure? It seems so artificial, and im certain most of the npcs do nothing at all- but i guess I'll have to wait for a nerd to make a real analysis to know for sure. Some of the npcs may have a purpose
Yes. There are cargo oriented vehicles aptly named 'water trader' or 'energy trader'. When you build a station, you can have the station pick up materials by itself rather than you supply the materials. You give the architect a budget and they'll try to get as much items through that budget as possible. If you wait long enough, you can see traders making its way to station, dropping materials off, then moving back to the factory/station that it belongs to.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Man this sounds like a horror story. I've never been really all that impressed with the gameplay of the prior games, but I was honestly hoping they were going to produce something tighter this time.

Alexzander

Golden Knight of the Realm
Fortunately, some users are beginning to report that Steam is granting refunds in Steam credit.

Gorestabb

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Thank goodness I didn't buy this on release. I'm a huge fan of the X series, but from what I've read here and around the internet is that this game is nothing like the previous X games apart from it being in space.

I think this is what happens when the publishers/investors demand the game caters to the console market, without knowing anything about their fan base. XBOX controller support? In a space sim? Really?

Denaut

Trump's Staff
You can scan ship to see if they are carrying cargo. Eventually you pick up which ones are trade ships and which are just traffic by sight. There is a logic to it as well, when I needed the otherwise unavailable reinforcement plates I went to the PMC Sation that makes them and found several ships ferrying the goods out of the system to cap.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Thank goodness I didn't buy this on release. I'm a huge fan of the X series, but from what I've read here and around the internet is that this game is nothing like the previous X games apart from it being in space.

I think this is what happens when the publishers/investors demand the game caters to the console market, without knowing anything about their fan base. XBOX controller support? In a space sim? Really?
It isbasicallythe same game... just at the moment very broken, unbalanced, and many of the UI elements need lots of work.

I actually quite like the controller support and find the game overall much easier to play with a controller than X3 was with a M/K.

Now I wouldn't recommend anyone buy it right now, and in fact told every one of my friend's that asked me about it to wait, but I find myself still playing the game when I come home and look at my steam list, even with the XCOM expansion sitting there waiting for me. I'm a little crazy though.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
The XCOM expansion is really good, apart from all your augmented soldiers inexplicably swap their badass armor for short sleeved T-shirts.
Maybe the genes they use for augmentation are from Jersey? I mean, all that tanning bed UV light has to eventually cause some kind of beneficial mutation.

Looking forward to XCOM, I imagine I'll get tired of Rebirth some time this or next week.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
someone did the research on x-rebirth forums. long story short, x-rebirth was a console abortion. Theres tons of refrences to xbox in the game files.

egosoft.com :: View topic - X-Rebirth: The story of the failed console game
Yea, that doesn't really mean anything. If you pulled apart Vanguard and Conan the same way you'd find all sorts of similar references in the code and GUI art. Doesn't mean the game was ever in serious contention for coming out on a console, especially considering how much it costs.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Yea, that doesn't really mean anything. If you pulled apart Vanguard and Conan the same way you'd find all sorts of similar references in the code and GUI art. Doesn't mean the game was ever in serious contention for coming out on a console, especially considering how much it costs.
No, you wouldn't. You're an idiot.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
No, you wouldn't. You're an idiot.
Yes, you would. Xbox Controller GUI art is absolutely in the Vanguard files (as is references to xbox), and on Conan (and TSW) we used an xbox controller internally to control the free camera (among other things) for testing and videos. So parts of the code handle xbox controllers and reference xbox library files. I am not some random schmo making things up, I worked on those games.

X:Rebirth doesn't need some irrelevant console experimentation theory to explain what happened. It was a too ambitious project built by too small a team on too tight a budget released before it was finished. That's it.

In any event, it is stupid to blame a console for a bad game. They would have known for years at this point it would never have worked on the existing consoles, they would have abandoned any attempt at that long ago.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
That seems unlikely. We're moving towards more and more purpose suited computers, not less. Having fixed specs makes it easier to design the game for optimal performance.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Im far too lazy to download vanguard and check its shaders, so I'll concede that maybe every game is released with xbox tags in the gpu handling part of it. That said, the job posting for xbox 360 devs on their website and the very old news article where egosoft claimed to be looking at a xbox port make it extremely hard to deny they were developing with xbox in mind

I can and will blame consoles for making it shit. Take diablo 3. I know the game was shit because the game was shit, but the horrible consolized ui made it a pain for PC users. PC users play on pc, we don't want console limitations ham fisted on us.