Yakuza series

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
For anyone confused: Like A Dragon is the Japanese name for Yakuza, which they're now calling the US releases. The game Like A Dragon was basically Yakuza 7 with a new protagonist. LAD Gaiden is basically Yakuza 7.5 because it's what old protagonist Kiryu was doing after Yakuza 6 (LAD 6). Then LAD 8 (Infinite Wealth) combines the two protagonists. So basically they started to go forward with a new protagonist, wimped out, and are now bringing back the old one in a side-quel before re-combining the stories for Infinite Wealth (which is Yakuza 8 and also Ichiban Game 2).

Edit: This is pretty weird, nobody seems to have this game for sale today. Is it digital only for the first week or something weird like that?

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
only japan is getting a physical release, digital only in USA/EU. You can buy a copy on play asia though as ps4/ps5 is region free

its also on gamepass, plays on PC and xbox

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Wow, that's garbage. Collectors and people who like to resell things they aren't keeping are getting flipped off.

Digital-only releases have begun. Because fuck you that's why!

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
As I understand it, Gaiden is a traditional brawling Yakuza game (just a short one) and Infinite Wealth is gonna be a turn-based game that might have brawl elements. IW is basically LAD2 and Gaiden is basically Yakuza 7. (Course, LAD 1 was the official Yakuza 7, and LAD 2 is Yakuza 8, hence Gaiden).

Went ahead and bought this on Playasia for $40 + shipping. Should work in a US PS5 and I assume language options are ingame. Never had to get anything from Japan before though. Lame AF to make it digital-only and I bet this significantly hampers sales.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
20231203_013936.jpg

Finished this game. Really worthwhile for a Yakuza fan, even if it's on the short side. Feels like one last hurrah for the old Yakuza style of game before it goes turn-based.

The ending is probably the most powerful moment in the whole series.

Kiryu sees some of the things that the kids he adopted (who are now all older) have been leaving at his grave every year on the anniversary of his "death". He of course can't talk to them or let them know he's alive. He completely loses it and breaks down when he's looking through their remembrances of him and shows real emotion for probably the first time I can remember. I think this allows him to move on finally, though.

20231202_164400.jpg

20231202_164412.jpg

20231202_164420.jpg

20231202_164428.jpg

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Yakuza 8 is out. Looks pretty awesome, almost like a modern Earthbound.

• 1Like

Chapell

Trakanon Raider
I really like brawlers :/
I should try Yakuza 7 and see if i can handle turn-based this serie.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

I think they kind of combined some brawler aspects with RPG aspects in this one. Which is fitting because they combined the Kiryu series with the Ichiban series.

LAD Gaiden is basically Yakuza 7.1, what Kiryu was doing during Yakuza 7. I definitely recommend playing it first, especially if you prefer brawlers.

Gonna be a few weeks before I get this one. Might even wait until after FF7's done, because I have a feeling Yakuza 8 is gonna pull me in for like two months. Like Sekiro has (still haven't finished that one).

• 1Like

joz123

Potato del Grande
Definitely try out Y7. The combat is a little wonky sometimes but it's a really good rpg and tons of minigame stuff to do. The new main dude is probably my favorite protagonist in any game.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
Played a few hours and finished the first chapter so far. It is weird to me how they mention the pandemic in the game and it takes place in the real world. Also a vtuber is a plot point in the game. Video below not related to that but funny how they put a twitch streamer in the game.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Played a few hours and finished the first chapter so far. It is weird to me how they mention the pandemic in the game and it takes place in the real world. Also a vtuber is a plot point in the game. Video below not related to that but funny how they put a twitch streamer in the game.

They put more than one. Pretty sure at least Kson is also in it.

• 1Like

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So I started Yakuza 0 thinking that would be a good entry point into the game. I’m really loving it. The writing is superb and I can’t believe how addicted I am to this game. I look forward to playing it some more.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

joz123

Potato del Grande
So I started Yakuza 0 thinking that would be a good entry point into the game. I’m really loving it. The writing is superb and I can’t believe how addicted I am to this game. I look forward to playing it some more.
0 is great. Most of the Yakuza games you get XP to level up skills but in 0 it's money so you can exploit that with a certain big dude. Also you should try out Lost Judgment if you haven't, has a ton of minigames and the best fighting system of the brawlers before 7.

• 1Galaxy Brain

Droigan

Trakanon Raider

Great series. Writing is top notch, which is what makes them so spectacular. You have the crazy stories / side quests / minigames , many very lighthearted, in combination with a massive scope heavy lore mafia/political intrigue story with fantastic voice acting and actors. Yakuza main story is the True Detective season 1 version of gaming narratives.

You've entered a 4-500 hour journey though if you want to complete all of them.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Great series. Writing is top notch, which is what makes them so spectacular. You have the crazy stories / side quests / minigames , many very lighthearted, in combination with a massive scope heavy lore mafia/political intrigue story with fantastic voice acting and actors. Yakuza main story is the True Detective season 1 version of gaming narratives.

You've entered a 4-500 hour journey though if you want to complete all of them.
That’s great news. I love achievements but I may have to put those aside for these games if I wanna make through the series 😂

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Oh man, you're lucky you get to play these for the first time. Yakuza 0 is awesome and still my favorite. Yakuza Kiwami continues that story to a pretty satisfying conclusion. Then Kiwami 2 looks incredible and has a great villain. I liked those first 3 the most. The rest all kinda do their own thing but they're all good at the very least. Definitely put aside any inclination to platinum these because they take an age and a half and burnout can set in pretty hard with this series. Hopefully not before getting through all of it (for me burnout set in around Yakuza 4 and I more or less stumbled through the rest of that and 5/6).

• 1Like