You know you're getting old when.....

Larnix

Blackwing Lair Raider
My son is only 11 but my wife over mother's him to the max. Just today he had some friends over and she had them jump out before she pulled into the garage. He was in such a hurry to hang with his buddies he didn't shut his door, wife pulled in and the garage shut the door for him. Door is superficially fucked.

Of course she could have double checked but he has never forgotten before. She is upset with herself and not him even a little bit upset with him.

Also he left a chocolate milk in his book bag over the weekend that explored today. She passive-aggressively tried to blame me for not checking while she was out of town this weekend.

I keep reminding her those are both on him but she's doesn't want to hear it. I just told her I don't care if his bag smells like spoiled milk but we are only buying one. Maybe using a stinky bag all year will do the trick.

Goatface

girl from my high school class passed away. i couldn't remember her, even-though i knew i should. had find a yearbook online to jog my memory. also found out she married a 2 guys i knew back then that had both passed away.

• 1Like
  • 1Rustled
Reactions: 1 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>
I have (flipped the breaker to his room) it's highly effective but comes with more drama than its worth (for now).
OK, from a networking standpoint I have to ask how well you know and control your home network. If you are good in that arena and can keep him out of certain systems. You don't block the electricity/internet from his room, you just QOS it and start throttling down his bandwidth until the lag makes him start losing matches...

"Gee, I dunno, if you'd do what you're asked maybe the Lag Fairy will let up on making you suck this bad in all your online matches?"

• 3Worf
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 3 users

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
beat beating GIF by neomagazinroyale
Walking Dead Reaction GIF by FOX International Channels

• 3Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
Yup

We are united on most things, but the kids. She over-mothers them, needless to say this doesn't sit well with me. I plan on retiring in a few years, I have said if they aren't out of the house by then, I am.

On an unrelated topic, I messed up my back bending over to pick something up. I have never felt my age more these last couple of weeks.
Friend of mine has a kid in that age range. He got a pass from covid, but that went away. He wouldn't apply to colleges or make an effort to move in a positive direction. He came home one day, and got handed an application to McDonald's and was told to fill it out. Last I heard, he was going to community college. Not great, but it is a start.

The big difference between your situation and theirs is that the wife is on the same page.

If you want to glance into the future, consider my cousin. He was sheltered by his mother, no expectations were ever made of him. He flunked out of music degree at an open door college. He never had a real job, still lives at home. He doesn't help around the house at all and expects to be given what he wants. New SUV? He didn't like it so they got him a truck. The added bonus is paying for his kids. He never really had two nickels of his own to rub together, so they are paying for them. Are his kids fuckups? Yew betcha.

You said that if they aren't gone when you retire, you will be gone. That might not be a bad idea if he doesn't get his shit together.

Give him this. Tell him it is this way or the highway. 100% the wife will scuttle the idea, though.

324435.jpeg

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
That ASVAB book has to be for idiots, because I breezed through it in 30 minutes.
Isn't the asvab test itself literally for idiots? It's right there in the name, armed services vocational aptitude battery. A test to tell you you're highest and best purpose in life is 'cannon fodder'.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Isn't the asvab test itself literally for idiots? It's right there in the name, armed services vocational aptitude battery. A test to tell you you're highest and best purpose in life is 'cannon fodder'.
I think it's a scale... You know. From Cannon Fodder all the way up to Latrine Maintenance and Paint Licker. That said, it's apparently possible to score so low on the ASVAB that apparently they won't recruit you.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I think it's a scale... You know. From Cannon Fodder all the way up to Latrine Maintenance and Paint Licker. That said, it's apparently possible to score so low on the ASVAB that apparently they won't recruit you.

Can the test predict a person who will question WHY they're going to war? I always assumed this was the reason for the maximum ages.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
It's been +20 years since I took it, but this looks about right for general info. Assuming it hasn't changed, it's graded on a percentile scale. Higher scores > more options for jobs. Last time I looked the highest required score (overall or a specific category?) was an 85 for some geo/imagery/something kind of job. There were other requirements as well, as in you aren't going to be doing as a kid out of high school. Anyone who has a solid hold on general HS knowledge and some practical hands on tool/mechanical experience will be able to just about anything. Physical/psych/security clearance requirements aside. I got one of the study guides from the library and studied/refreshed my memory for 5 or 6 hours over the weekend before taking the test and had an overall score in the 99th percentile.

loudgas

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Minor update, my son has moved in with my father-in-law and is enrolled in online school.

...and got some "nerve relaxing' meds for my sciatica, wish me luck.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
This happened to me, and it really worked in my favor. I went from being a lazy degenerate to a frugal and financially smart degenerate that bought my own house at 22.
You're a furry that works for the federal government currently, correct?

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
It's called Gabapentin, does nothing so far.

I have found using one of those Dr.Ho devices with the pads being the most effective.
I don't often get sciatic nerve issues, mostly lower back muscle spasms, my doc prescribed me Tizanidine 4mg, like 90 pills a year ago, still have half a bottle left, it's pretty effective. It feels dumb but yoga has helped me a ton too when its really bad.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user