Your games of the year!

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
If you like JRPGs in any capacity, you'll like Undertale, especially if you enjoy the Mario & Luigi RPG series. But if you're still not sure, you can download the demo off the Undertale website which includes the first major area of the game.
I've literally never heard of Undertale, but I LOVE the Mario & Luigi RPG games. Perhaps I should look into this.

dechire

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Mine.

1. Witcher 3

the rest in no particular order

Fallout 4, Dying Light, Vermintide, Until Dawn

Drajakur

Molten Core Raider
1. Fallout 4. Pretty much everything I was hoping it would be.
2. Bloodborne. Better than some Souls but not better than all Souls. Haven't tried expansion yet because see #1.
3. Witcher. I loved parts of the Witcher but I found combat pretty boring after a while. Even on hardest it was so easy. World and quests were amazing.
4. Battlefront. Everyone loves to trash this game for a lack of content but, for me, nothing beats Battlefront for a few 20-40 minute play sessions when I don't have time to do anything more substantial. Walker Assault is just fun.

1. Witcher 3, easily the best RPG this year and the combat/horse racing/boxing was somewhat tolerable by switching from m/kb to a controller
2. Divinity: Original Sin and Pillars of Eternity, just loved these old style RPGs
3. Ori and the Blind Forest: really well done and difficult platformer with beautiful graphics and musics

for multiplayer I'd go with Rocket League

Column_sl

shitlord
Looks like a good bit of us including myself picked Witcher 3.

Then Witcher 3 it is , if you picked anything else well maybe you should take up knitting. ;}

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'd definitely give Witcher 3 the Best Story/Writing award; nothing else is even close. Best overall game is a bit of a hard sell though, considering how completely broken the xp system is, practically any way you spec/gear Geralt leads to the combat very quickly becoming trivial even on the hardest difficulty, and the open world is more than a little lacking in interesting content.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I'd definitely give Witcher 3 the Best Story/Writing award; nothing else is even close. Best overall game is a bit of a hard sell though, considering how completely broken the xp system is, practically any way you spec/gear Geralt leads to the combat very quickly becoming trivial even on the hardest difficulty, and the open world is more than a little lacking in interesting content.
I understand that point and it is very valid, however I have yet to find a game that does open world well and stays challenging - I'm looking at you, Bethesda. The story telling, animation and quest design was a level above what anybody else pulled off so far, Bioware came close once or twice after building up a story over several years and still fucked up the ending. The game will be coming up again and again in years to come in discussions about RPGs and the weak moments will vanish, leaving behind only some of the best stories I have ever experienced in gaming.

Blood Baron, Fyke Isle, Coronation questline, Yennefer's quest in Skellige, Bald Mountain battle, Isle of Mists, tracking the giant across Skellige, what happens after battle for Kaer Morhen, the ending... The DLC only adds to this number.

I'm a cynical asshole when it comes to new games, since I rarely have time to play them at launch, but I had enough confidence in CDPR to set aside time for it and they have still blown me away.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
I'm playing Witcher 3 on the "Blood and Broken Bones" difficulty and it's giving me a rough time. I'm level 8 and just now was able to get an upgrade to my Silver Sword since Blacksmiths seem strangely absent in the game. Hopefully I can beat that bullcrap regenerating werewolf now.

Also, question about the Blood Baron storyline:

I got the ending where he hangs himself and found a cloth doll at his feet. I'm assuming I can take this to Tamara for more EXP/feels, but she's moved from her place at Oxenford. Anyone know where she is?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I've literally never heard of Undertale, but I LOVE the Mario & Luigi RPG games. Perhaps I should look into this.
Go get it. I wouldn't recommend it to everyone on the board but I'm pretty sure you'd love it, or like it at least. It is very good.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So clearly I need to get Witcher 3 for my new PS4. I have Bloodbourne,battlefront and Fallout 4 already. Was Grandtheft Auto 5 any good? I like the idea of a darker game but nobody really mentioned it.

spronk

FPS noob
gta 5 has sold over 50m copies, its pretty much assumed at this point everyone has played it. yes, its fantastic on PS4. i wouldn't really call it dark, its more humorous and cynical. its also 2 years old on PS3 and released in 2014 on PS4/xbone so thats why most don't talk about it much. still is in the top 10 sales charts every month though, just like minecraft.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm playing Witcher 3 on the "Blood and Broken Bones" difficulty and it's giving me a rough time. I'm level 8 and just now was able to get an upgrade to my Silver Sword since Blacksmiths seem strangely absent in the game. Hopefully I can beat that bullcrap regenerating werewolf now.
Did you not craft the Viper School swords at White Orchard?

Sulrn

Deuces
So clearly I need to get Witcher 3 for my new PS4. I have Bloodbourne,battlefront and Fallout 4 already. Was Grandtheft Auto 5 any good? I like the idea of a darker game but nobody really mentioned it.
gta 5 has sold over 50m copies, its pretty much assumed at this point everyone has played it. yes, its fantastic on PS4. i wouldn't really call it dark, its more humorous and cynical. its also 2 years old on PS3 and released in 2014 on PS4/xbone so thats why most don't talk about it much. still is in the top 10 sales charts every month though, just like minecraft.
My only gripe was being the lone PC player out of my friends with GTA on the ps4. GTA 5 is just enough of a sandbox to really do some crazy shit while still having enough fixed content to keep you entertained during lulls. Definitely worth a purchase, doubly so if you have a steady group.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I have no idea what the Viper School swords are.
Look up the guides for the various school armor/sword quests. That is if you want to make the game a total cake walk hehe.

Oh yeah Vorph, the new DLC ups the ante on difficulty considerably if you are looking for a challenge. But I do agree on the unbalanced leveling curve, I kinda complained about it when I first started but the rest of the game makes up for it.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
rrr_img_118784.jpg

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Or just look for some diagrams or quest items to send you on your way in every merchant's inventory. IIRC you can also just run across them if you are a completion freak.

Blood Baron, Fyke Isle, Coronation questline, Yennefer's quest in Skellige, Bald Mountain battle, Isle of Mists, tracking the giant across Skellige, what happens after battle for Kaer Morhen, the ending... The DLC only adds to this number.
I would add the quests involving Djikstra and the vampire serial killer quest you get after you freed Dandelion, the one that starts with Priscilla being assaulted

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
1. Witcher 3
2. Splatoon
3. Bloodborne
4. Xenoblade Chronicles X
5. Mario Maker
6. Fallout 4
7. Pillars of Eternity