2012 NFL Season

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
This part right here. It's very rare that a QB can come in like Luck/RG3/Wilson and take their team to the playoffs (in fact, it's basically something that never happened until a few years ago with Flacco, Sanchez, and Ryan). If they do, it's generally because they had an amazing team around them or they were just off the charts good.

The Browns are a team hurting all across the roster. A typical quarterback is going to take a few years to develop. At that point, Weeden is already pushing the upper age limit on actually playing in the NFL. Shit, some of that college flash may return at some point, but how old will he be when it does? Would the Browns even be able to get an entire rookie contract out of him?
Notice the teams and QB's you mentioned, Flaaco went to a good team same with Sanchez and Ryan. The rookie QB's you named from this year Wilson falls into the same category SLIGHTLY because of that defense, RG3 and Luck are the reasons the Redskins and Colts are in the playoffs. Hell Luck is the first QB ever as the #1 pick to go to the playoffs in his first year, the shit is fucking rare and they had no god damn business taking a QB in the first round let alone a god damn 29 year old one.

Sparko

Silver Knight of the Realm
For some reason the Browns felt he could step in and perform at the NFL level right away. But as others have said, it's a bad team and it's pretty hard to judge his talent level or McCoy's talent level without them at least having a decent team. I agree it was a stupid pick for the Browns based on them having so many other holes to fill on that team. I just didn't agree that it was a bad draft pick based on his college career.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Notice the teams and QB's you mentioned, Flaaco went to a good team same with Sanchez and Ryan. The rookie QB's you named from this year Wilson falls into the same category SLIGHTLY because of that defense, RG3 and Luck are the reasons the Redskins and Colts are in the playoffs. Hell Luck is the first QB ever as the #1 pick to go to the playoffs in his first year, the shit is fucking rare and they had no god damn business taking a QB in the first round let alone a god damn 29 year old one.
Slightly? This is why I think Luck and RG III are better than Wilson. Seattle has the best defense in the NFL this year. The Colts and Skins basically rely on those guys to win games. When your defense is giving up 15 points a game like Seattle, you basically game manage and dont fuckup and ride the defense to victory.

But yea, Weeden was a prayer. Brian Billick always talks about how the HC looks good or bad based on his QB, and how when coaches get hired they have short term plans because of the coaching turnover and that it revolves around praying you get a good QB. The Browns are the Browns though, and took Winslow over Ben too.

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
Slightly? This is why I think Luck and RG III are better than Wilson. Seattle has the best defense in the NFL this year. The Colts and Skins basically rely on those guys to win games. When your defense is giving up 15 points a game like Seattle, you basically game manage and dont fuckup and ride the defense to victory.

But yea, Weeden was a prayer. Brian Billick always talks about how the HC looks good or bad based on his QB, and how when coaches get hired they have short term plans because of the coaching turnover and that it revolves around praying you get a good QB. The Browns are the Browns though, and took Winslow over Ben too.
I said slightly because I just didn't want to argue later with some wise ass either way because they felt like I am slighting him, while I agree with you I just didn't want to detract from the point I was making about the Weeden decision. Not that you are being a wise ass, just explaining "slightly".

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Hell Luck is the first QB ever as the #1 pick to go to the playoffs in his first year, the shit is fucking rare and they had no god damn business taking a QB in the first round let alone a god damn 29 year old one.
Pretty sure RG3 is the first guy at #2 to do it as well. Before this year no QB drafted #1 or #2 overall had ever led his team to even 8-8 in his first year. It's possible some team made it at 7-9 (I guess, too late for me to care enough to check), but unlikely. For 2 guys to do it in the same year is pretty crazy.

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
Brandon Weeden has to be the worse investment pick in the past 20 years (besides Jamarcuss the Hutt). Draft a 30 year old dude who zero upside who doesnt inspire the fanbase and is mediocre at best. The Browns are truly the dredge of the NFL. Only the Bills might be worse.
I respect the Bills because they're the only real New York team

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's very rare that a QB can come in like Luck/RG3/Wilson and take their team to the playoffs (in fact, it's basically something that never happened until a few years ago with Flacco, Sanchez, and Ryan).
The Ben would like you to take a seat over there. 14-1.

More seriously, Weeden at 22nd pick isn't good by any stretch but let's not pretend it's on par with some of the legendary busts. And saying Jamarcus wasn't a bad pick is silly. He was picked entirely on a great combine showing. And pretty much every time that happens it's a bad idea.

Hell, in the long run I'd wager Sam Bradford hurts his franchise more than Weeden ever will.

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
The Ben would like you to take a seat over there. 14-1.

More seriously, Weeden at 22nd pick isn't good by any stretch but let's not pretend it's on par with some of the legendary busts. And saying Jamarcus wasn't a bad pick is silly. He was picked entirely on a great combine showing. And pretty much every time that happens it's a bad idea.

Hell, in the long run I'd wager Sam Bradford hurts his franchise more than Weeden ever will.
We are not arguing that he was a bust or not, it might seem like semantics but there is a valid distinction between the comparison being made. They had no business drafting a QB with the 22nd pick period, the sheer amount of gaping holes they had in the roster with the current QB they had gave them zero fucking need for the position. McCoy wasn't good by no stretch of the imagination but even he showed flashes on that shit ass fucking team, Tom fucking Brady woudn't have done shit with that team. If McCoy wasn't the answer then they had time to see if he was shit or not while they built the rest of the team back up. The people involved in drafting Weeden knowingly and purposely fucked that entire organization with a hail mary attempt at saving their jobs. When you factor in the fact that Weeden will be fucking 30 next year it just makes it even more blatantly apparent how much they didn't give a fuck the rest of the NFL world could figure it out the second that pick was announced. Notice how he had a shit year just like everyone predicted and the people whose hail mary wound up getting picked off was fired on the very first day that shit is allowed to take place.

A bust is a bust, Weeden was simply put the stupidest fucking draft decision in my lifetime. I challenge you to find another team that drafted a player of a position they had no need for and that in his second year in the league would be 30 years of age or a situation equally mind blowingly fucking ignorant then I stick with my opinion on this. The only caveat is you can only go back to 1979, ones before it don't count
smile.png

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Of course it was stupid, but it's not the franchise destroying decision you guys are acting like it is. Jamarcus was a worse pick, in every way. If Weeden was a top 10 pick it would be an argument. They decided they needed a QB and there was aperceivedhuge gap after Luck/RG3 so they reached. Teams do it every year at various positions. It's a bad pick, but it's nowhere near the worst picks ever.

But I guess that's not really the discussion. It's not whether it's the worst pick, just the dumbest. But I'll maintain the Jamarcus pick was dumber too just because it was #1.

BTW that year the Browns drafted Brady Quinn with the #22 pick. Just coincidence I noticed=P Looking at that entire QB draft class is depressing, I think Kevin Kolb is by far the best drafted QB of 2007....Jesus.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Reporter. Stock Pals CEO. Head of AI.
<Gold Donor>
The most tragic thing is that you realize that if they really really really wanted a QB, they could have drafted Russell Wilson instead of Weeden. A guy 5 years younger and with a better set of skills than that derpface Weeden

WEEDEN.jpg

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
This part right here. It's very rare that a QB can come in like Luck/RG3/Wilson and take their team to the playoffs (in fact, it's basically something that never happened until a few years ago with Flacco, Sanchez, and Ryan). If they do, it's generally because they had an amazing team around them or they were just off the charts good.

The Browns are a team hurting all across the roster. A typical quarterback is going to take a few years to develop. At that point, Weeden is already pushing the upper age limit on actually playing in the NFL. Shit, some of that college flash may return at some point, but how old will he be when it does? Would the Browns even be able to get an entire rookie contract out of him?
Sanchez and Flacco didn't do anything to take their teams to the play offs. Great run games and defenses and then pretty much them not throwing too many interceptions

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The Browns are a bad franchise, and the Weeden pick personifies them perfectly.

There is no defending that pick. I dont care if he was the 22nd pick he was still a 1st rounder who was fucking THIRTY. Its not like he was a raw talented type guy who could ignite a fanbase and find a rapport with some of the skill posit.....oh wait thats right they dont have any. They used a first rounder on a guy who is a marginal upgrade over what they had at the expense of upgrading their receiving core, defense, or o-line. Yeah Richardson looks like a good pick but going with Weeden with that 2nd 1st round pick was fucking RETARDED.

And lol at the people who say drafting an o-lineman with a 1st round pick is dumb. The Niners used 2 first rounders on o-linemen a few years back, on top of having drafted Staley with a high pick a couple years before that. Now they enjoy one of the sturdiest offensive lines in the game allowing the rest of the offense to gel and have success. The Niners used to be bad, but they were REALLY bad when they couldnt protect Smith. Once they got the o-line shored up shit started to change. And the defensive picks compounded the o-line picks and tada, a good team was formed. The Browns are incapable of this.

Orcus_sl

shitlord
Makes sense.

Kenner would be the correct answer.

You act like if you live here you haven't seen 90% of what New Orleans has to offer...I guess it all depends what you consider authentic New Orleans cause to me that covers a very broad spectrum. That could range anywhere from the amazingly chill people you can meet around the french quarter to the ghetto ass project people. It seems every time I go down there though I run in to the retards. I personally love the food and the atmosphere and usually try to go eat somewhere in New Orleans at least once a week as there is no other food like it in the world. I would never live in New Orleans though.
That was a drunk post, and I grew up in Kenner! I'm technically a kennabrah, but no greasy stache, criminal record or 80s 5.0 mustang. You're doing it right, as long as you're enjoying the quarter and eating the food regularly
smile.png
I've seriously met people from Kenner and the westbank that wouldn't go into Orleans parish. I even lived on bourbon street for a few years, that was an experience, then uptown. Lots of great people downtown and uptown, mid city as well, few of my best friends live near city park, but you're right it's a bit of a checkerboard.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I would like to welcome the Redskins, Colts, Bengals, and Vikings fans back to the NFL Season thread from the Playoff thread. Good to have y'all back with the real teams, Cowboys and Steelers.