2012 NFL Season

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Rex keeping it real in the Bahamas.

rrr_img_7830.jpg

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Glad to be back guys, thanks for the welcome party!

Too early to talk about free agency? Either tonight or tomorrow I will write up a giant post on Bengals free agents, and it would be great to get some in depth analysis for other teams.
Michael Johnson is the biggest "must sign" for us in the offseason. Terrance Newman actually played well enough after the bye week that I'd like to see him come back - along with Adam Jones. Crocker and Clements can peace out.

After this season, I'm starting to think that it almost doesn't even matter who we have on our defense. Zimmer is the key. Our secondary is full of average players but our pass defense was off the chain down the stretch. I wouldn't even be sad if we lost Gruden. He stopped giving a shit as soon as he caught wind that he might become a HC elsewhere.

Tea_sl

shitlord
Michael Johnson is the biggest "must sign" for us in the offseason. Terrance Newman actually played well enough after the bye week that I'd like to see him come back - along with Adam Jones. Crocker and Clements can peace out.

After this season, I'm starting to think that it almost doesn't even matter who we have on our defense. Zimmer is the key. Our secondary is full of average players but our pass defense was off the chain down the stretch. I wouldn't even be sad if we lost Gruden. He stopped giving a shit as soon as he caught wind that he might become a HC elsewhere.
I'll go into it later, but I couldn't disagree more about Michael Jonson. I give that honor without question to Andre Smith for a bunch of different reasons.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I'll go into it later, but I couldn't disagree more about Michael Jonson. I give that honor without question to Andre Smith for a bunch of different reasons.
I forgot about Smith. I'd much rather have him on board.

The thing I don't get is the O-line sucking like it did down the stretch. It all coincided with Cook coming back under center. Whitworth is approaching his final years so it would probably be a good idea to get a LT relatively early. This team is so close to looking good that we have to fuck it all up in this draft.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Drafting a kicker in the 1st round it a terrible idea because you can pretty much get a decent enough kicker off the street. It has nothing to due with the quality of the kicker and everything to due with the wasted value of the pick. In that draft there were 11 pro-bowlers drafted before the next kicker was taken (who was Neil Rackers in the the 6th round). Also Rian Lindell and Shayne Graham went undrafted that year. Wasn't like if you didn't get Janikowski you were F'ed out of a kicker.

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...-mri-suggests/

The MRI exam of Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III's right knee suggested that Griffin has suffered partial tears of his anterior cruciate and lateral collateral ligaments, according to several people with knowledge of the test results.
Hearing on sports radio in NY, RG wants to try and rehab it over full blown surgery. Will be evaluated by Andrews in FLA in the next day or so to see if that's a possibility.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Reporter. Stock Pals CEO. Head of AI.
<Gold Donor>
Drafting a kicker in the 1st round it a terrible idea because you can pretty much get a decent enough kicker off the street. It has nothing to due with the quality of the kicker and everything to due with the wasted value of the pick. In that draft there were 11 pro-bowlers drafted before the next kicker was taken (who was Neil Rackers in the the 6th round). Also Rian Lindell and Shayne Graham went undrafted that year. Wasn't like if you didn't get Janikowski you were F'ed out of a kicker.
Why did 49ers sign Cundiff instead of just getting some guy off the street?

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You're right Araysar, hopefully the Bears draft a kicker in the first round this year. You'll be set long term. Meanwhile, we will be set long term with our UDRFA.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
You're right Araysar, hopefully the Bears draft a kicker in the first round this year. You'll be set long term. Meanwhile, we will be set long term with our UDRFA.
Bears already have the best and highest paid kicker in the NFL. Glad you finally figured out your kicker position though, if only you guys could have figured it out before last year's AFC game.

Bears already have the best and highest paid kicker in the NFL. Glad you finally figured out your kicker position though, if only you guys could have figured it out before last year's AFC game.
naw, i dont care what the stats say - Janikowski is the best in the league. Looks like a linebacker, and i have personally seen him dunk field goals from 70

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Would be nice if someone would teach our overrated coach how time outs work.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
naw, i dont care what the stats say - Janikowski is the best in the league. Looks like a linebacker, and i have personally seen him dunk field goals from 70
Well, the bottom line was that someone suggested that Janikowski was an awful pick and I merely pointed out that even without a benefit of hindsight picking Janikowski wasn't as nearly as bad of a choice as picking Brandon Weeden. At least Janikowski is good at his position and has been for over a decade. Dolby was old and sucked from the get go.

Tea_sl

shitlord
Free Agent chat time!

Bengals:

Pay the men:

Kevin Huber- P - Huber doesn't have the longest or most consistent punts, but he does excel at placing the ball down inside the 10. That's a punter worth keeping.
Andre Smith- OT - Andre Smith is one of the best right tackles in the league and is probably the future at left tackle for the Bengals. Ideally we'll see him switch sides with Whitworth next year. Beyond that Smith is probably the best player on offense for the Bengals - yeah even better than A.J. Green.
Pacman Jones- CB - Adam Jones has found his niche as a nickel corner and has really improved dramatically. He's more important to the defense than a lot of fans realize, and he shouldn't be bringing home a huge contract. Add some pretty good return skills and you have one of the best value guys for the Bengals.
Wallace Gilberry- DE - Gilberry has been steadily improving under Zimmer and he's another excellent value for an end that plays well against both the run and pass.
Josh Brown or Mike Nugent- K - 2 decent kickers. Pay one of them.
Clark Harris- LS - He's a long snapper. He doesn't fuck up. Pay him.

Want to keep, but probably can't:

Michael Johnson- DE - Excellent pass rusher with a freakish frame. He was pretty raw coming out of college and I don't think we've seen his full potential yet. The Bengals would love to keep him, but he is going to get paid by someone and it's probably in the Bengals best interest not to overpay for someone when they have quality starters waiting in the wings.
Terence Newman- CB - Guy had an excellent year after a bit of a rocky start. Presumably someone is going to want to reward that year with some money, and it's unclear what Newman's role in the defense will be next year. It's looking like he'll be the 4th CB, but he'll probably get a bigger contract than a back-up CB is worth.
Pat Sims- DT - Excellent interior tackle that has a knack for causing problems for the O-line. He's relegated to the bench because Peko is such a nice compliment to Atkins. He'll be a starter for another team next year.

Role Players - depends on how the draft and free agency shakes out:

Cedric Peerman- RB - Special Teams All Star. A passable running back.
Chris Crocker- S - He's not a good safety, but he does a ton for the defense in setting coverage. He's one of the reasons the Bengals defense improved this year. Bengals don't have a ton of depth at safety, so he may stick around for another year. Maybe.
Bernard Scott- RB - He's a mediocre compliment to the law firm, but the Bengals are going to be looking to upgrade here. Not much in the way of free agency this year, so it'll depend on how the draft shakes out.
Dennis Roland- OT - As a back up tackle he's pretty decent. Not great. Not horrible. He's just sort of there. Bengals will probably hold on to him.
Nate Clements- CB/S - He's fucking old and slow and he's a mediocre safety and a worse corner. That said if the Bengals can keep him as a back-up it won't be the worst thing in the world.
Bruce Gradkowski- QB - A thoroughly mediocre back up. Meh. I wouldn't be surprised to see him stay or leave. He won't be looking to start anywhere in the league though.
Dan Skuta- LB - He's not a good interior linebacker, but the Bengals are so thin at linebacker that he has a role to play in adding depth. Ideally he won't be with the team next year though.
Brian Leonard- RB - See also, Bernard Scott.

Questions?:

Thomas Howard- LB - Howard has been very good for the Bengals, but he's coming off an ACL tear and his replacement, Burfict, had a really good year. If they believe they can move one of them to the other side then he's definitely worth signing. If they don't like the fit then it's pretty unlikely he comes back.

Get the fuck out:

Brandon Tate- WR - He's a bad receiver and a bad returner and he should go away.
Richard Quinn- TE - Has made no impact on this team ever.
Jeromy Miles- S - He's somehow a worse safety than an 800 year old Nate Clements.
Manny Lawson- LB - Isn't great in coverage. Isn't great against the run. Kind of useless for a linebacker.
Robert Geathers- DE - Holy shit why did this guy start every game this year when his back-ups constantly out performed him. Get the fuck out.
Rey Maualuga- LB - The worst MLB in the league - not an exaggeration. Slow as fuck in coverage. Struggles mightily to read and diagnose plays. Is good at tackling people beyond the line to gain.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
And here I was just thinking that my Tuesday could really use a player by player breakdown of the Bengals FA situation. Thanks Tea.

What your team really needs is a real Qb that can actually get the ball to your all world WR.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
basically Bungles need a whole new team, got it.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
basically Bungles need a whole new team, got it.
They're a better team than the Bears. Let that sink in.

This Bengals team is one good draft away from being pretty damn good. I'm not sure if Marvin Lewis will step up to the plate and make something of it, but this team is finally showing some real promise. There's nothing wrong with Dalton. A lot of QBs aren't that great in their first couple years (Eli, Brees). Dalton has shown enough promise that I think he can be a great QB. Gruden doesn't do him any favors sometimes by trying to get too smart (let's pass to Gresham the entire first half in a playoff game!).

Skuta and Clements have got to go. I'm waiting for something to go horribly wrong every time I see him in. We have practically zero depth at safety so maybe getting rid of Clements is a bad idea, but I think we'll find worthy candidates in the draft and FA.

I hope we don't lose Michael Johnson. Dude has gotten better and better every year. I think Zimmer can make my grandmother a great DE though so maybe not paying him his money is a good idea.