2012 NFL Season

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
We all grieve in different ways man.
Just accept that you will be grieving around this time next year too and it makes life easier. I'm already wearing a cup for Romo's next kick to the nuts terrible INT to knock the Cowboys out of the playoffs.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I've never said that in the history of my Bengals fandom. This is the first time. And even you have to admit that this team is different. No Bengals team I've ever been a fan of (except for the magical 2005 season - fuck you Von Oelhoffen) would have pulled off that win against the Steelers. It would have been a close football until the second half would the Bengals would have given up. In do-or-die situations the Bengals always fell short and only made playoffs last year and in 2009 because they fell back into the playoffs since other contending teams dropped the ball. If next season ends up being a 4-12 outing then I'll stop all hope for the Bengals ever being relevant, but I honestly don't think that's going to happen. I think we're making playoffs again next year.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Reporter. Stock Pals CEO. Head of AI.
<Gold Donor>
Let's be real; the Bears are a sub-.500 team without their 10-20 defensive scores.
So we just eliminate the parts that dont fit our arguments and then work with that?

Let me try.

Lets face it, without their defense, the 49ers are a sub .500 team.

We saw what happened to them when the turnovers started to dry up in the second half of the season.
you mean when 2/3's of the starters were injured?

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
"No Bengals team ever...except that one just a couple years ago."

Keep trying to kick that football, Charlie Brown.
So salty about losing to the Bengals in a do-or-die game. Why you gotta put a man down?

And that "couple years ago" is nearly 10 now. So yes, once in the past 10 years I was hopeful. Not before or since until now.

Disp_sl

shitlord
So we just eliminate the parts that dont fit our arguments and then work with that?

Let me try.

Lets face it, without their defense, the 49ers are a sub .500 team.

you mean when 2/3's of the starters were injured?
Defensive scores are the most unpredictable plays in football. 1/4 of the Bears points this year were off defensive scores. Don't play your usual stupid self here.

The Bears offense is almost bottom of the barrel. It's so bad in fact that the Jets almost scored as many points this year on offense.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Let's be real; the Bears are a sub-.500 team without their 10-20 defensive scores. We saw what happened to them when the turnovers started to dry up in the second half of the season.
They didn't have that many defensive scores last year and weren't below .500. While this goes for a lot of teams, with an average OL they would have been a very good team. Even though the OL for the 49ers isn't amazing you can definitely see a difference with all the high round picks from the past that were used on it and the scrubs the Bears have been using for 3 years now.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So salty about losing to the Bengals in a do-or-die game. Why you gotta put a man down?

And that "couple years ago" is nearly 10 now. So yes, once in the past 10 years I was hopeful. Not before or since until now.
I'm trying to help you. I like you, you're good people. But I don't want to hold your hair for you while you're vomiting from the bender triggered by your abusive boyfriend(team) once again doing what he does and crushing your heart. Don't do it, he's just gonna hurt you again!

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
The Bears were 8-8 last year. They scored 63 points on defense this year and won 2 more games.
The Bears played this year in a division with where three teams had 10 wins or more

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Defensive scores are the most unpredictable plays in football. 1/4 of the Bears points this year were off defensive scores. Don't play your usual stupid self here.

The Bears offense is almost bottom of the barrel. It's so bad in fact that the Jets almost scored as many points this year on offense.
I dont see the argument here, you're taking parts of the equation, throwing away whatever doesnt fit and then only argue those that fit your argument, whatever it is. Football is a team sport, if you're going to argue whether one team is better than the other you'd have to include all of that.

My take on it? Bengals aren't better than the Bears, they played in an easier division and put together the same record as a team who had to compete for a playoff spot in a division with two other 10+ win teams and lost out by a hair.

They probably aren't worse either. If they played each other, I'd have a hard time picking the winner. But at the end of the day, the Bears have a lot of room for growth in 2013 with a lots of nice additions from 2012 and once they shore up the o-line in the offseason they will be even more formidable. I don't see the same for the Bengals. I dont know why you're comparing them though, they literally play each other like once every 5 years.

Sterling

El Presidente
His point is obviously that you can't assume that the Bears will be able to get like 10 defensive scores again next year. A solid base defense will likely still be a solid defense again next year though. Some things are just harder to repeat.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
His point is obviously that you can't assume that the Bears will be able to get like 10 defensive scores again next year. A solid base defense will likely still be a solid defense again next year though. Some things are just harder to repeat.
Because all those guys will all of a sudden forget how to punch the ball out during a gang tackle? It's a pretty stupid thing to predicate the expectations for next season on.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
To all of you Bengals fans with hope. Mike Brown is still your owner. Let it sink in.
That's why I'm open to the possibility of a terrible losing season next year. Two playoff appearances in a row just means that he bought another five years of fan loyalty without having to invest anything else in the team. At least we have an indoor practice facility now (paid for by the University of Cincinnati).

I dont know why you're comparing them though, they literally play each other like once every 5 years.
We play each other next season!