28mm Miniature Tabletop Wargaming Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
Few More additions, Sorry for the shit pics. Using bathroom lighting and my iphone.

IMG_9143 (2).JPG
IMG_9145.JPG
IMG_9148.JPG
IMG_9149.JPG

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yea photos aren't very clear, all I can make out is pictures of a hundred dollar bill?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
On one hand GW is actually moving the 40K story forward and appears to be listening in fits and starts, such as bringing out the primarchs, to the point that the eighth edition rumors of being actually a good ruleset and trying to add smaller scale games back in could actually be true.

On the other hand, GW.

• 1Solidarity

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
Yeah I am waiting with baited breath on 8th. Haven't gotten into 7th at all, just too many special rules and OP shit.

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
On one hand GW is actually moving the 40K story forward and appears to be listening in fits and starts, such as bringing out the primarchs, to the point that the eighth edition rumors of being actually a good ruleset and trying to add smaller scale games back in could actually be true.

On the other hand, GW.

GW is pants-on-the-head retarded. Didn't they have this big event where all the armies fought each other and they promised however well certain armies played in clubs across the country the canon story would reflect those victories?

What a crock of shit. They pre-wrote the story, and hand-waved the victors (the Tomb Kings) because it was not convenient to sell the models they had already commissioned.

GW is going to fail, eventually, and it will be awesome (bunch of robber barons) and terrible (such cool models) at the same time.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If friends and family ever gets together to play Fantasy or 40k (we have almost 2 dozen armies all-in) then we just use the version of the rules that are the most enjoyable. Way too many odd or backwards changes over the years to bother with.

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If friends and family ever gets together to play Fantasy or 40k (we have almost 2 dozen armies all-in) then we just use the version of the rules that are the most enjoyable. Way too many odd or backwards changes over the years to bother with.

Wasn't GW rehashing the rules in each codex so that certain models were now useless and players had to buy more?

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Wasn't GW rehashing the rules in each codex so that certain models were now useless and players had to buy more?

No necessarily "useless", but with each new version they release new units and models that are considerably more powerful and appealing, so they can move the plastic/metal. So, the older stuff tends to fall out of favor a bit so that people feel like they have to buy "random monster/tank/titan__00213" for $75 or more.

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I still really love the new stuff in last year or two. I had checked in 3 years or so ago when they did like bigger termies.... Cool. But dumb tech priest with under ground Canon wtf. I don't like these centurion or whatever gun platform terminators. Always hated the wave of absurd small marine flyers.

But newer Tau suits and knights and similiar scale big stuff is cool. Not sure i have a local place so torn on relearning to paint or just but a few decent models for the shelf off eBay.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I am laughing my ass off at my 40k pals (I got out for good when the last Nid book raped me in the ass) now that they are getting the AoS treatment.

In other news, I have a shit ton of work to get my Trident army done in time for Lone Wolf, including attempting air brushing and water effects for the first time.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
AoS is actually really fun. 40k could use some AoS treatment. Right now the rulebook is a mess.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So the lady wants to do more together hobbywise. She likes artsy stuff and board games but isn't a big gamer other than Wii/PS4, standard board games not exceeding Cataan in obscurity, hyper casual MTG, and a few other various things I've introduced her to socially but I don't really do anymore.

Are there any small scale minis games that are any good right now? Warmachine seems a bit complex and needing more commitment than I'd want right now, GW is a joke and most of the other games I'm not really that familiar with. I wanted to look at that westerny one (Malifaux?) but doesn't do anything for me and maybe a bit too complex.

Necromunda or Mordheim would have been perfect, but so goes GW goes the support. Any recommendations where to look?

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Guild Ball is a smaller game. It can get as complex as you want it to be but in general it's an easy game to pick up.

Phazael - AoS is actually pretty complex. Have you played it since the General's Compendium came out?

• 1Like

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Nope, and still no interest despite some of the GW battered wives group pimping it on me. Skirmish based games don't interest me anymore, at least the large scale ones. And the current "complexity" in AoS stems from each unit having a bunch of special rules on the card next to its four stats...... which Heroscape did over a decade ago.....

Anyhow, Palum Palum
Deadzone is ok, for what it is (as is dungeon saga) but if you want to scratch that campaign style skirmish band itch from the Mordheim/Necromunda era, Frostgrave is probably a better choice. I can also vouch for guild ball being a more accessible version of Bloodbowl and a fun game. It has seen some play around the San Diego area, from what I have observed.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If you are looking for something that might not be as popular but is still fun (if it truly is just you and the wife), Arena Rex can be fun.

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
Guild Ball is the easiest to start and requires the least amount of terrain.

The Batman Miniatures Game is really good, but can be fairly complex. It also requires more terrain.

Infinity is very fun, very complex, and needs a lot of terrain.