Alien: Covenant (2017)

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It was a seed colony and the couples were sent to start families etc.
Send a gay couple, to populate a new planet.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rime

<Donor>
If they have artificial wombs, then sure. But that tech is not that far along at this point in the series or should not be.

Otherwise, not sure why they would send a gay couple... you would want more women. So maybe bisexual ladies would work better than gay dudes?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
If they have artificial wombs, then sure. But that tech is not that far along at this point in the series or should not be.

Otherwise, not sure why they would send a gay couple... you would want more women. So maybe bisexual ladies would work better than gay dudes?
Skills unrelated to baby making to keep the colony alive ....

Just the pilot crew only?

Rime

<Donor>
Maybe. But you are telling me they could not find a woman pilot or at least a couple of pilots? I get it. There are gay people out there and they have every right to do whatever they want. But if I am sending people to seed/start a colony in a venture that likely costs billions, if not more money, and will take decades --- I would plan for lots of redundancy. Unless those dudes are highly pragmatic and willing to inseminate a few ladies, I do not understand why they would be in the crew.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Maybe. But you are telling me they could not find a woman pilot or at least a couple of pilots? I get it. There are gay people out there and they have every right to do whatever they want. But if I am sending people to seed/start a colony in a venture that likely costs billions, if not more money, and will take decades --- I would plan for lots of redundancy. Unless those dudes are highly pragmatic and willing to inseminate a few ladies, I do not understand why they would be in the crew.
Oh they are definitely including it just for the diversity nod but it isn't going to entirely kill the movie I'm sure. Just don't think it's that jarring for me.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Rime

<Donor>
I agree. It does not break the movie on it's own, but it is another straw on the poor camels back.

• 2Solidarity

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
I assume this was like one of those shake 'n' bake colonies or first attempt / setup for one, send married ppl on a one way trip with more in route later to help populate the location once all is working since its better to have long distance living with someone of interest.
Married, I am meaning paired couples, may not be different sexes, much like the proposed current Mar trip. Send high skilled and others that want to go on a 1 way trip. In comparision LV-426 had about 60-70 families.

Given the known size of this current crew, it would be semi limited to plant humans and see what happens in 500 years later. With the Weyland logos all over everything more than product placement in a Michael Bay film, it has to be company sponsored. More ppl would be coming with more equipment and supplies.

Would be interesting if the equipment the Nostromo was pulling back to earth was something that wasnt needed from this colony going belly up. Would be interesting is this planet or spacestation (Later) was called Thedus.

Gah, I played too much Eve in the past. I wanted to look up the rest of the stats on this. lol

NOSTROMO

The Factory Starship lumbering with the depths
of inter-stellar space.

Function: Petroleum tanker and Refinery.
Capacity: 2000,000,000 tons.
Length: One and one half kilometers.

M-Class star-freighter
Forty-two million in adjusted dollars.
That's minus payload, of course.

1a61a6e9b332d8bed019a60d8f85b752.jpg

Side note, LV-426 was working for 20years peacefully by time of Aliens. It hasnt grown much in that time but I would guess it may be due to atmospherics not being breathable for until within the last half of that 20years. Another is the time in distance travel. Naturally over time humans learn to speed up its means for traveling same distances faster.

From Alien they were six weeks off course and was going to take 10months to return to earth at current position. Assumed they left Thedus to head to Earth originally before the signal was picked up from Mother to pull them off course. The travel to LV-426 seemed to be shorter time than the 10 months between Alien to Aliens within that

Fifty-seven years from Dream when Ripley was found since RageQuit Nostromo, 62 years if Newt was same age as Amanda Ripley and Dream was BS. That guess - 20years (shake n bake) = roughly 27-42 years difference from Alien to Aliens, if correct it might be about seventeen days travel to LV-426 from Earth in Aliens if from Earth (Unclear).
All rough math. Its late.... But hyped for this!

shoe-side-detail.jpg

• 2Like

Butthurt

<Nazi Janitors>
The swarm like feel does not make it look like any human relative. at 2:12 in the prologue you can see them pouring out of an entrance to the central arena thing, that shit looks like your worst zerg nightmare from above.

I see that. Does the black goo work on xenomorphs too? awesome

khorum

Murder Apologist

In the context of the film series yeah, they've shown that the tech for artificial wombs should be around. I dunno if it's in Covenant but the autodoc in Prometheus showed capabilities way beyond artificial gestation. We've already got artificial wombs working on lambs today:

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
Just saw one of the tv spots today, she video blogs they have 2,000 ppl. Guessing in stasis. Looks like its going to become messy later if something gets on the main ship.

Rime

<Donor>
I was going off of the book timelines. Which I guess are no longer cannon or whatever. *Shrug* I was big into the Aliens Universe growing up. All of the books (bad as some of them were), the comics, action figures, etc.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Well it might be even simpler than that! You could just be assuming xher gender and they don't actually need an artificial womb at all.

2CF9D77700000578-3256399-image-a-32_1443715861422.jpg

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
I bet you the writers got that covered.

If the company is involved then they don't actually give a shit about the people and just want to get a xenomorph specimen, because that's all they ever want (why is it so fucking hard in the first place)?

Last edited:

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
By the way some of you seem to be legit Alien fans, if any of you haven't, take the time to buy and play Alien: Isolation, best Aliens game ever.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I like the other guess more than what we got but that said 'fuck em.

David was the only character I gave a shit about in Prometheus so I'm all aboard Team Robot Does Things For Reasons I'm Unsure Of.