Alien: Covenant (2017)

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
So something that looks promising, and a complete 180 into dog shit, surprise scares.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
yeah. not sure... Prologue could be literal. its just a prologue that will not effect the "actual" movie in any real way.

What i gather from that. They visit the planet. the engineer homeworld has been overrun by the xenomorph weapon, machines just on autopilot. (note the ground clearly has large masses of living beings in a horde. Xenomorph behavior, not engineer expected behavior. So, David "nukes" them with the jars, or nukes that just look similar to the jars.
We've never actually seen a world overrun by them. Basically always an uninhabited world, or colony with an outbreak, that needs to be contained.

Cut to the "real" movie, starring the colonists.

Really good call on the little specks maybe being xenomorphs. That fits way better with the story thus far and the little Ozymandias quote at the end.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
How does Shaw even have tools to repair David?

I've got a feeling that David coached her through it.... it seems sensible for that to be part of the knowledge for him to be programmed with would be self-maintenance. All he'd have to do is explain what he'd do to her assuming she wasn't already familiar.

(IIRC he was still a head capable of vocalizing at the end of Prometheus, right?)

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
I went and rewatched Prometheus. It was only the second time I've seen it.

The dumb parts that I thought were dumb before are still super dumb but the better aspects of the film came through more this time around. I can better understand why people like it. There's plenty of good stuff in there.

It still gets very potato at times though. Boy does Elizabeth's husband suck. If you edited out everything he says or does I think it would be a net improvement. If you purge him, the stoner geologist that gets lost despite bringing his own tracking drones and exo-biologist that can't recognize cobra behavior I think the movie would take a huge step forward.
The movie becomes more understandable (if not forgivable) when you know that the two "scientists" were originally "workers" in an earlier draft of the script.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Eh she had a few backpacks of gear in the end of the movie when you watch her loading everything up it's not too much of a stretch it looks like your typical space ages toolkit behind her.
Sure, in my "SHIT HITS THE FAN BAG", i always carry around a soldering iron when i gotta repair my robo buddy.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Sure, in my "SHIT HITS THE FAN BAG", i always carry around a soldering iron when i gotta repair my robo buddy.
Wakandan if I lived in a world that had robo buddies i'd totally have a robo buddy repair kit that's like carrying little baggies when you walk your dog.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser

Shit, go back and watch the movie again and take a drink every time she uses some piece of tech she's never been trained with. There wasn't any scene of her dragging the body out of the ship into a new ship either. A lot of people had the impression that she just took off into space with the head and head alone.

Just gotta start looking the other way.

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Shit, go back and watch the movie again and take a drink every time she uses some piece of tech she's never been trained with. There wasn't any scene of her dragging the body out of the ship into a new ship either. A lot of people had the impression that she just took off into space with the head and head alone.

Just gotta start looking the other way.

This thread inspired me to re-watch this yesterday. As a matter of fact, there is a scene of her struggling to lower David's body down off the crashed ship while talking to his head, so she clearly makes off with his body as well. I was surprised at that part as I had no memory of it.

Even watching her use the med-pod for her emergency abortion, it looked pretty intuitive, she was talking to herself clicking shit on it, emergency operation, foreign object, abdomen, surgery, go. Now her amazing fortitude AFTER that - though they do show her clearly in pain and gripping her abdomen at various points afterward, but still - that is fucking crazy. Sure she is shooting herself up with what I assume are painkillers the whole time but there is no way. And David literally poisoning the boyfriend after a VERY thin premise (would you do ANYTHING?? or whatever that jackass convo was), there is no goddamned way that android would deliberately do that to a living person. I read that Fassbender studied shit like Blade Runner for the role and totally avoided the first movies, and I thought, wow, that's admirable but fucking stupid, the mythos has androids established to act a certain way, why would you deliberately avoid that? Even though Fassbender is pretty much the lone bright spot here, though even a 5 watt bulb looks bright when its in a pitch-black room.

There was alot of badness here though, ALOT of pure badness, and I am a lesser person for having subjected myself to it again.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Even though I want to, I cannot bring myself to see this movie opening weekend. After the abomination of Prometheus, every fucking AvP, and every Aliens since #2... no fucking way they are getting $1 out of me until I have at least 3 trusted review sites saying it is worth it. It is time to stand up and say we do not want your retarded shit.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Even though I want to, I cannot bring myself to see this movie opening weekend. After the abomination of Prometheus, every fucking AvP, and every Aliens since #2... no fucking way they are getting $1 out of me until I have at least 3 trusted review sites saying it is worth it. It is time to stand up and say we do not want your retarded shit.
tbf, Prometheus was better than all AvPs and post Aliens movies.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
tbf, Hillary Clinton is hotter than Melissa McCarthy and Leslie Jones... but I don't want to fuck any of them, even with your dick. All you are claiming is that a 3/10 is better than a 2/10.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
tbf, Hillary Clinton is hotter than Melissa McCarthy and Leslie Jones... but I don't want to fuck any of them, even with your dick. All you are claiming is that a 3/10 is better than a 2/10.
I made it simple:

A:R, AVP, AVP2 and prometheus - 1/10

:)

Oldbased

> Than U
Just saw an actual preview for this on Disco channel. Definite "Aliens" feel to it. It basically looks to be pre Aliens as it is about a colony being overtaken by aliens.
Putting it all together from trailers I think we have the whole story.
From the trailers combined together:
David goes and bio nukes the engineers homeworld.
Years later that same planet is chosen to be an colony planet.
Colony shows up and steps on a dna pod mutating them into aliens.
Dinner follows.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
jesus fucking christ, connect the dots for third graders.

• 1Like

Oldbased

> Than U
jesus fucking christ, connect the dots for third graders.
Sorry:( I'll make it easier by posting the trailers in order so everything is fully ruined properly.
David does his thing.
Years later colony shows up to a planet. Hey, what are these pods we are stepping on? Don't know. I feel strange though. Like I am turning into a silicon based lifeform somehow. Wait, my blood reeks of clorox now.
Oh and look at this weird horseshoe shaped ship. We'll name it the David.

DINNER TIME.
Bonus. Space trucks beep beep
10/10 would watch trailers for whole movie again.

Last edited:

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
LOL I wasnt talking about your post, but the plot itself. I instantly assumed that was going to be the setup after seeing the prologue.

• 1Solidarity

TrollfaceDeux

<Bronze Donator>
this movie looks like a trainwreck in making.

James Franco and Danny McBride is just an icing on the cake...holy shit...

Oldbased

> Than U
LOL I wasnt talking about your post, but the plot itself. I instantly assumed that was going to be the setup after seeing the prologue.
Ya I know, I just hadn't been really paying attention until I saw the prolonged trailer tonight then remember the David one. It's a shame they gave up so much between those 2.
I guess they arrive on this planet in 2111 and the planet is called ORIGAE-6

I guess at least it isn't LV-426.
All sorts of date oddness out there.
Alien was 2122.
Aliens set off in 2179

So this movie predates Alien by 11 years. Hmmmmm. About that crashed ship and distress call.

Last edited: