Alien: Covenant (2017)

Szlia

Are we talking Alien: Isolation here? Because it's its own story. So is Alien vs Predator on Jaguar and Alien vs Predator on PC which is basically the 3 good Alien games I believe?

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Without Aliens, Alien wouldn't be as good as it is? maybe it's the other way around.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Are we talking Alien: Isolation here? Because it's its own story. So is Alien vs Predator on Jaguar and Alien vs Predator on PC which is basically the 3 good Alien games I believe?
Pretty good arcade game in the mid 90a based off the second one. Also avp2 was good as well.

Szlia

I never played them, so I was not 100% sure which one of the AvP games were good on PC. Are you saying both the first and second games were good? I think the good one has like flares you fire to both see and help you navigate but only 3 or 4 can be up at the same time or something similar.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The first AvP game for PC was the best because it has random enemy placement in single player. So as the Marine you are just terrified because your motion tracker would blip out of nowhere, get closer to you, then disappear. Then nothing. You'd look around frantically for minutes looking for the alien but you couldn't find it. Then it would blip some more going away from you, so you'd chase it only to run around a corner straight into an alien headshotting you. So you'd start over from your quick save 15 minutes earlier and the alien wouldn't even be there. But you don't know that, you just walk around all anxious and jittery and never find him. It was awesome.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
The best Alien video game was based off the original movie so check mate.
I played a pretty kick ass Aliens game for the Commodore 64. The very first thing you had to do was navigate the ship down to the planet while trying to keep it inside these fucking rings. Holy shit was that brutal.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
The best Alien video game was based off the original movie so check mate.
WRONG WRONG WRONG
Aliens_vs_Predator_2_Cover_CD_Front.jpg

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I played a pretty kick ass Aliens game for the Commodore 64. The very first thing you had to do was navigate the ship down to the planet while trying to keep it inside these fucking rings. Holy shit was that brutal.
I had the same game, don't think I ever made it past the first level.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah. No one went to see Alien when it first came out. All hail James Cameron for putting that movies on everyone's radar. Ridley Scott owes him a beer.

Part of the problem with this discussion is you're forced to take a side and then it seems like you're dogging the other. I think all of us love both movies. They're both great for different reasons.

I will still continue to think that Alien is the much more important movie, but that isn't to say Aliens wasn't important. It's was genre defining. I just think Alien has a bigger influence. I also think Cameron perfected sci fi action later on with T2, where Alien is pretty much already the perfect sci fi horror flick.

Original AvP on PC was the tits.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I had the same game, don't think I ever made it past the first level.
yup

rings begin at 3mins, i think these were worse than superman64, altho back then i might have been immune to the violent flashes of color, wow.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Alien Domestic Gross: $78,944,891.

Aliens Domestic Gross: $85,160,248.

Aliens is one of my all time favorite films but lets not pretend Alien was some tiny film no one ever heard of.

Taloo_sl

shitlord
Is it really that hard to understand he was "trying" to say that Alien created a terrifying movie monster. Aliens created a universe with a past, present, and future. A narrative. Marines in space on "another bug hunt". A company willing to finance and sacrifice a colony of humans to "see what happens" in the pursuit of bio-weaponry. The Alien Queen anyone? God damn power loaders?Taking the aliens themselves from a monster in the dark to a race of creatures that have understandable goals and a "reason" to face fuck and murder the shit out of people. Alien is an amazing film. Alien 2 : Return of this thing that hides in space tunnels would have been shit. Aliens "made" the franchise. It took a monster movie and built a mythos that people are still curious about and invested in to this day. Aliens took a simple but amazingly well executed formula and turned into it something else entirely.

I can't think of any other sequel in "any" genre that did that. It's the perfect sequel. It took the concepts form the first movie and ran with them and created something entirely new and was equally as good, if not better in it's own way. T2 isn't even a comparison. T2 is an amazing movie but it's T1, buy one robot get one free. It's just an infinitely better version of the first movie.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
I like Aliens better, but this post is ridiculous. Scott's movie set up the universe as much as Cameron's. That same corporation sacrificed the lives of the Nostromo crew for the Alien so that's not new or original. Space Jockey anyone? Xenomorph life cycle anyone?

You are just picking arbitrary things to atribute value to from the second film where there are easily more truly original universe creating ideas in the first.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Fun fact in the original cut of the movie Alien the Xenomorph glues people to walls and turns them into the eggs you see in the beginning of the movie, Ripley finds her crew mid transformation and flame throwers them.

Also the ending was different with her getting aboard the escape ship after the explosion, They do a voice over black with her contacting the company and setting a flight path for earth then cutting to the Alien who has snuck aboard the escape shuttle killed Ripley and was mimicking her voice to get to earth. The big shock was supposed to be that it was intelligent and could talk.

The ending tanked in test groups so they cut it out and refilmed a traditional ending and thus cinema was saved. For every movie that is dumbed down due to testing group showings you can always remember Alien.

But then again they also are responsible for the theatrical cut of Blade runner.....