Alien: Covenant (2017)

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
AvP 1 and 2 for PC were both amazing. First one was hard as hell and scary as shit, second had awesome multiplayer (the third one was ass).

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Is it really that hard to understand he was "trying" to say that Alien created a terrifying movie monster. Aliens created a universe with a past, present, and future. A narrative. Marines in space on "another bug hunt". A company willing to finance and sacrifice a colony of humans to "see what happens" in the pursuit of bio-weaponry. The Alien Queen anyone? God damn power loaders?Taking the aliens themselves from a monster in the dark to a race of creatures that have understandable goals and a "reason" to face fuck and murder the shit out of people. Alien is an amazing film. Alien 2 : Return of this thing that hides in space tunnels would have been shit. Aliens "made" the franchise. It took a monster movie and built a mythos that people are still curious about and invested in to this day. Aliens took a simple but amazingly well executed formula and turned into it something else entirely.

I can't think of any other sequel in "any" genre that did that. It's the perfect sequel. It took the concepts form the first movie and ran with them and created something entirely new and was equally as good, if not better in it's own way. T2 isn't even a comparison. T2 is an amazing movie but it's T1, buy one robot get one free. It's just an infinitely better version of the first movie.
This can be seen as a good thing, as well as a fucking horrible thing. Every movie past Aliens has been a fucking abortion. So yes, it absolutely created a mythos for the Alien universe, but it was turned into a pile of dog shit sequels.

Caliane

Is it really that hard to understand he was "trying" to say that Alien created a terrifying movie monster. Aliens created a universe with a past, present, and future. A narrative. Marines in space on "another bug hunt". A company willing to finance and sacrifice a colony of humans to "see what happens" in the pursuit of bio-weaponry. The Alien Queen anyone? God damn power loaders?Taking the aliens themselves from a monster in the dark to a race of creatures that have understandable goals and a "reason" to face fuck and murder the shit out of people. Alien is an amazing film. Alien 2 : Return of this thing that hides in space tunnels would have been shit. Aliens "made" the franchise. It took a monster movie and built a mythos that people are still curious about and invested in to this day. Aliens took a simple but amazingly well executed formula and turned into it something else entirely.

I can't think of any other sequel in "any" genre that did that. It's the perfect sequel. It took the concepts form the first movie and ran with them and created something entirely new and was equally as good, if not better in it's own way. T2 isn't even a comparison. T2 is an amazing movie but it's T1, buy one robot get one free. It's just an infinitely better version of the first movie.
Evil Dead1, 2, Army of Darkness. AoD changed genres, an totally surpassed the original.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
That really depends on what you consider Evil Dead 1 to be. I think of it more as a rough draft. ED2 is the actual film and it's better than AoD.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I'll agree that this doesn't really count because it already had a TV series doing the "world building" but we all know The Wrath of Khan was infinitely better than the first movie, and paved the way for the rest of the sequels. I daresay that if it had been as dull as the first movie, we might not have seen any more movies, and perhaps not even all the subsequent TV series either.

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
Yeah. No one went to see Alien when it first came out. All hail James Cameron for putting that movies on everyone's radar. Ridley Scott owes him a beer.

Part of the problem with this discussion is you're forced to take a side and then it seems like you're dogging the other. I think all of us love both movies. They're both great for different reasons.

I will still continue to think that Alien is the much more important movie, but that isn't to say Aliens wasn't important. It's was genre defining. I just think Alien has a bigger influence. I also think Cameron perfected sci fi action later on with T2, where Alien is pretty much already the perfect sci fi horror flick.

Original AvP on PC was the tits.
After Alien came Galaxy of Terror, with one James Cameron in charge of production design

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Holy shit when Tim Selleck kisses that chick it was like trailer magic. I have to see this now.

Taloo_sl

shitlord
This can be seen as a good thing, as well as a fucking horrible thing. Every movie past Aliens has been a fucking abortion. So yes, it absolutely created a mythos for the Alien universe, but it was turned into a pile of dog shit sequels.
In film yes. In most other media the property has consistently been quite good. Not always of course but way more often than not. AVP1/2, AVP arcade game, comics, novels, etc.

Caliane_sl said:
Evil Dead1, 2, Army of Darkness. AoD changed genres, an totally surpassed the original.
I hadn't considered AoD and you're certainly right. It's probably the second best example of what I was talking about. With that said and despite the fact that I adore those movies(2 I'm eh on but w/e)... It's not quite the same. The mythos and universe in AoD is still kind of "throw away" and there's not a damn thing wrong with that. It's an entirely different kind of film. There's no "hook" to the deadites etc. It just kind of is what it is which is a fun, silly movie. Obviously there have been games, comics etc but I wouldn't put it in the same league as Aliens when it comes to taking something simple and formulaic and really giving it the means to stand up as a unique and interesting setting. It's just kind of a one off to me I guess. ED/AoD are stories about Ash, everything else is just kind of tacked on for him to play off.

By no means am I right, it's just my personal opinion. I'm glad you brought it up though as that's exactly what I was talking about. ED->AoD just doesn't quite get there when it comes to what I was talking about though, at least for me.

Vvoid_sl said:
I'll agree that this doesn't really count because it already had a TV series doing the "world building" but we all know The Wrath of Khan was infinitely better than the first movie, and paved the way for the rest of the sequels. I daresay that if it had been as dull as the first movie, we might not have seen any more movies, and perhaps not even all the subsequent TV series either.
Yeah the series did the world building there haha. It's another good example though because WoK showed that Star Trek could be something a little more serious and meaningful than a alien/crisis of the week series. That the characters and universe had enough depth for people to give a shit to put it simply. Wayland-Yutani etc were just convenient outs to things like "Why didn't they just give the robot a space hammer and send him into the vents?" in Alien. They were just background to make pieces fit together. In Aliens Burke put a face to W-Y and made them an active participant in the story and how it played out. It's hard for me to articulate but after seeing Alien W-Y was just a random name that didn't signify anything and that I probably couldn't have remembered the name of after a few weeks. After seeing Aliens W-Y was an actual "thing".

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
It pisses me off something fierce, how IGN and Gamespot shit on Isolation.

I still haven't done a replay on nightmare mode, I'm waiting for the Oculus Rift to hit the market.
Fuck gamespot and fuck even more IGN

Devlin

Golden Squire
That really depends on what you consider Evil Dead 1 to be. I think of it more as a rough draft. ED2 is the actual film and it's better than AoD.
Evil Dead 1 is like the prototype, Evil Dead 2 is a masterpiece.

I didn't enjoy AoD at all really compared to 2. I thought it was trying way too hard to be cheesy and goofy and succeeded.

The humour in 2 wasn't goofy, it was more unsettling.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I thought the "Paradise Lost" title was a joke
frown.png

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I kinda wanna watch that now.
Me too . . . is that the clown from the Devils Rejects (Or whatever the Rob Zombie movies are?)?

Also . . . was that a giant rape worm? What the fuck. Lol

Some day, I am going to do drugs again, and I need to watch that when I do.

Edit: Yeah, I got 3 minutes into that movie. It requires drugs.

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
Me too . . . is that the clown from the Devils Rejects (Or whatever the Rob Zombie movies are?)?

Also . . . was that a giant rape worm? What the fuck. Lol

Some day, I am going to do drugs again, and I need to watch that when I do.

Edit: Yeah, I got 3 minutes into that movie. It requires drugs.
Sid Haig, yes that is him.