Alien: Covenant (2017)

Szlia

The only bad thing is the explosion of Nostromo but that due to lack of money and time to re do it.
I think you forget the part where Ripley goes through the whole of the Nostromo and back to save the cat.

For me, the horror elements of Aliens are superior to the ones of Alien, because it multiples the places where you do not want to be. In Aliens, we go under the floor, over the ceiling, in the air vents, inside the colonized area, in the lower levels, in an airlock that leads outside a spaceship, we get trapped in a sick bay with face huggers, etc.

I think Alien is at the origin of the "space trucker" trope though, the idea of non-glamorous space travel where blue collar workers toil on decrepit space ships. Isn't it?

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
I'll watch "Battle Beyond the Stars" or "Krull" before "2001 a Space yawn!"
What no love for Event Horizon?

khorum

Murder Apologist
Maybe you are just older now and your tastes have changed.
Well I saw it recently back-to-back with Leon when they released the remastered blurays... and LEON definitely ages waaay better than Fifth Element. But like I said it's one of my favorite scifi movies anyway. It's still in my top 5 despite that:

Blade Runner
Aliens
Children of Men
Fifth Element

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
I think Alien is at the origin of the "space trucker" trope though, the idea of non-glamorous space travel where blue collar workers toil on decrepit space ships. Isn't it?
That trope is my favorite trope. I really dislike films that show space travel as some ultraclean apple product. I want steam and grease and ladders and cramped spaces in my spaceship.

Caliane

I think you forget the part where Ripley goes through the whole of the Nostromo and back to save the cat.

For me, the horror elements of Aliens are superior to the ones of Alien, because it multiples the places where you do not want to be. In Aliens, we go under the floor, over the ceiling, in the air vents, inside the colonized area, in the lower levels, in an airlock that leads outside a spaceship, we get trapped in a sick bay with face huggers, etc.

nah. I mean starwars was 1977, with Alien being 1979. Han solo, the millennium falcon in general fits Space trucker.
2001 in 1968 was a pretty realistic take on space travel. vs, the fantasy of a Star trek. T-shirts and running shorts in space..

really to look back at 2001. again, it came out in 1968.
Barbarella came out that same year. as well as Planet of the Apes, and Destroy all monsters.

Fantastic voyage was 1966.

Not sure if it ever showed up in any of the monster movies of the 60's.

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
Found it

http://movieviral.com/viralcast/Alien-Engineers.pdf

Tldrs Much better

• First Act is the same until they get to the planet.
  • The planet is actually LV-426 from the first and second movies.
  • They go into the Engineer Spaceship and the two guys run off like in the movie, They don't find random jars of goo the two guys do die from a Snake/Centipede thing.
  • The man scientist doesn't get infected by David he falls down a hole and gets facehugged by a White-Facehugger. Then he goes back to his ship and dies when a Proto alien comes out.
  • David goes rogue as he gains AI when he taps into the engineers advanced computers.
  • David locks down the human ship and leaves into the engineer ship while the Proto alien kills people.
  • David finds girl scientist still inside the alien ship and drags her to a holding bay with Genetically altered Versions of the proto aliens(These are the ones we see in the other movies) and he has her get facehugged.
  • He explains that for some reason the Engineers are coming back to earth to kill the humans and they made the perfect human killing organism to do it, unfortunately they break loose and kill them.
  • Female scientist goes into the fancy medpod from the movie and it saves her life while the alien bursts out of her. She is trapped inside the pod for 8 hours while it grows and murders someone. She is able to kill it.
  • The rest of the crew find David in the control room of the alien ship and watch as he wakes up a engineer who was in cryosleep. like in the movie the engineer kills David and tries to take the ship to earth.
  • Like in the movie one of the two guys who originally died to the snake come back to life and are like half human half alien hybrids. One actually kills an alien then gets shot but manages to kill the bitch woman from the movie. No old Weyland subplot here.
  • The ship takes off but the engineer dies mid step and falls over, apparently he was frozen because he had an alien in him an ULTRAMORPH bursts out of him, giving us three stages of aliens in this movie.
  • Female scientist and the head of david kill the ultramorph by tossing it into an ore processor and the crew on the human ship find a way to kamikaze into the engineer ship.
  • Female scientist and head of david play chess in a life raft like in the movie waiting for someone to rescue them either human or engineer.
This was far and away superior to the film we got. Its a real pity. It all started going downhill the moment they announced it wasnt going to be true prequel to Alien, while still looking for all intents and purposes a prequel to alien. One giant cluster fuck. If the IP wasnt so strong from its first two films, it woul dbe dead.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
And find its a barren wasteland after being destroyed by their own weapon. Then she cries like a dumbass, again.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
This was far and away superior to the film we got. Its a real pity. It all started going downhill the moment they announced it wasnt going to be true prequel to Alien, while still looking for all intents and purposes a prequel to alien. One giant cluster fuck. If the IP wasnt so strong from its first two films, it woul dbe dead.
I'll be honest. I still don't think that synopsis is all that great, but it's certainly more cohesive than what we ended up with.

khorum

Murder Apologist
They should just shut all that shit down and wait till James Cameron is ready to take over the Aliens franchise.

As great as Alien was, noone would give a shit about the Alien canon if it wasn't for Cameron's Aliens. He's actually shown an ability to actually IMPROVE a franchise with a sequel instead of shitting on it too (with T2 and duh, Aliens).

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
They should just shut all that shit down and wait till James Cameron is ready to take over the Aliens franchise.

As great as Alien was, noone would give a shit about the Alien canon if it wasn't for Cameron's Aliens.He's actually shown an ability to actually IMPROVE a franchise with a sequel instead of shitting on it too (with T2 and duh, Aliens).
What? Get the fuck out of here with that.

khorum

Murder Apologist
What? Get the fuck out of here with that.
Don't let me stop you from hipstering up with howAlienwas superior cinema and thatAlienswas a shallow popcorn-flick made for stupids.

AliensWAS the breakout mainstream hit that propelled the franchise as a cultural icon, and many folks went back to watch Alien after seeing James Cameron's sequel. I love Alien to death, but that's just how it played out. His success with reinvigorating Alien got him the chops to make the sequel for Terminator.

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
I love both but don't even try to pretend that Alien didn't have a massive impact. That's what I object too. Scott brought two massive genre changing films to Sci-fi.

Caliane

I love both but don't even try to pretend that Alien didn't have a massive impact. That's what I object too. Scott brought two massive genre changing films to Sci-fi.
in the same way The Thing had a massive impact. But Aliens turned it into a cultural icon and a franchise. he's not wrong.

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
in the same way The Thing had a massive impact. But Aliens turned it into a cultural icon and a franchise. he's not wrong.
Except one was because of the other. They are basically two different genre's as well. Aliens would not be with out Alien. Alien grossed almost as much as Aliens did.