Alien: Romulus (2024)

Leon

<Silver Donator>

I wish they would stop this 'screaming' noise music shit in the aliens trailer.

They literally fucking copied and paste the music template from this abomination:

Fucking lazy sacs of shit.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The artist did a fantastic job on that ^^ but the story has multiple issues that really make you go "wait what? that's retarded/makes no sense".

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I wish they would stop this 'screaming' noise music shit in the aliens trailer.

They literally fucking copied and paste the music template from this abomination:

Fucking lazy sacs of shit.

I think that screaming noise was a thing in the original Alien trailer as well. Speaking of lazy, though, I'm too lazy to look it up. Regardless I'm fairly sure it didn't start with Prometheus.

Still hoping that this movie ends up being a secret Prometheus sequel. It was supposed to be a trilogy, and they clearly abandoned the original plans before even Covenant (the original plan was for Elizabeth Shaw to find the engineer homeworld in the third movie, but instead they killed her offscreen and had David genocide the engineer homeworld in the second movie).

Even with the original plans scuppered, they were still saying there'd be a third movie in the trilogy before Covenant came out, and the ending of Covenant is a massive setup for a third movie. A similar one to what we're getting here, no less.

Yeah, this jumps forward in time quite a bit and takes place between Alien and Aliens, but it doesn't really matter, it can still be a Prometheus/Covenant sequel. They long since abandoned the "prequel trilogy" idea (that this whole thing would end with the engineer crash-landing on LV-426, which never really made sense anyway as the engineer in Alien was fossilized).

David doesn't age (much) and he's had a lot of time to build his legion. It'd be more interesting than a rando Alien movie.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Some behind the scenes shit. Honestly I wish Ridley Scott would just retire or die. The Alien movie we should have gotten was from that South African dude.

Hey but we got our very first black Android, but apparently he has problems!

I stand by my position, this is going to be a stinker.

• 1Like

Szlia

Ridley Scott has been senile for years, but Neill Blomkamp is worse and has no excuse for it! :D

• 1Seriously?

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Ridley Scott has been senile for years, but Neill Blomkamp is worse and has no excuse for it! :D
Totally agree with you about Scott, but Blomkampff, he at least tries to do original stuff.

I know he did some Goofy movie back during covid that was pretty shitty, but from what I had read and seeing his concept art for his rendition of a follow-up to Aliens, it looked promising.

Hell of a lot better than let's have a bunch of young people in space so we can introduce a whole new generation to a franchise that has been turned into shit so we can make more money.

I'm sorry but having grown up with all of those films, the comics, the games, this looks like garbage. Well shot, high res garbage, but no different than Prometheus, but I'm not going to go see it.

Don't you remember while watching alien Romulus, that amazing scene where there's a whole ton of facehuggers that jump at everybody! Oh my God they've got proto pulse rifles! Remember them, they were so cool! We're even bringing back the the original alien that somehow the company found floating around randomly in space!

I didn't necessarily care for his evil Dead remake. The guy knows how to make a good looking film but he obviously doesn't know how to actually make anything original. I guess he's just a gun for hire to reboot whatever franchise from whatever studio.

Fadaar

That guy
Blomkamp is 21st century George Lucas. Yes I know two of the prequels came out in the 21st century, fuck off.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Totally agree with you about Scott, but Blomkampff, he at least tries to do original stuff.

I know he did some Goofy movie back during covid that was pretty shitty, but from what I had read and seeing his concept art for his rendition of a follow-up to Aliens, it looked promising.

Hell of a lot better than let's have a bunch of young people in space so we can introduce a whole new generation to a franchise that has been turned into shit so we can make more money.

I'm sorry but having grown up with all of those films, the comics, the games, this looks like garbage. Well shot, high res garbage, but no different than Prometheus, but I'm not going to go see it.

Don't you remember while watching alien Romulus, that amazing scene where there's a whole ton of facehuggers that jump at everybody! Oh my God they've got proto pulse rifles! Remember them, they were so cool! We're even bringing back the the original alien that somehow the company found floating around randomly in space!

I didn't necessarily care for his evil Dead remake. The guy knows how to make a good looking film but he obviously doesn't know how to actually make anything original. I guess he's just a gun for hire to reboot whatever franchise from whatever studio.

If the whole premise of this movie ends up actually being that they "found the alien from Alien 1 floating around in space" then LOL.

Still think it'll be an end to the Prometheus planned-trilogy, but I'm prepared to be disappointed.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
If the whole premise of this movie ends up actually being that they "found the alien from Alien 1 floating around in space" then LOL.

Still think it'll be an end to the Prometheus planned-trilogy, but I'm prepared to be disappointed.
That's supposedly the theory from autistic dudes analysing the trailer. There's a brief moment where you see this asteroid looking thing fly into a Star wars style airlock and it looks like a big cocoon or something.

Watching the thing, I'm inclined to agree just because of that one shot.

Tried to find the video breaking it down, but no dice. I'll see if I can dig it up though. Problem right now is there's tons of stupid shit for clicks right now because of the algorithm.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Some behind the scenes shit. Honestly I wish Ridley Scott would just retire or die. The Alien movie we should have gotten was from that South African dude.

Hey but we got our very first black Android, but apparently he has problems!

I stand by my position, this is going to be a stinker.

wait what? American Inventorbot isnt following the rules?

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Szlia

Films are released on Wednesday around here so I got to see it. This is not a timeless masterpiece, but in the Alien franchise ranking list, it's probably 3rd or 4th ? My personal disappointment is the poor use of the layout of the station (90% of the movie takes place in a derelict space station). The great strength of Aliens is that it played with the layout of the base, with the contrast between where you are supposed to be (the hallways, the rooms) and where you are not supposed to be (under the floor, above the ceiling, in the ventilation system, in service ducts). You also have the far (the shipping docks) and the below (the alien lair). In Romulus, the spatial structure is more akin to the one of Alien 4: you walk around because you need to reach point A and then point B, etc and it all feels like a chain of locations rather than a coherent space that is being explored. This niche gripe aside, while the general movement of the plot works well, the scenario is certainly not nitpick-proof and I fear the scientific consultant was on holydays at several points during the writing and shooting of this film.

The high point is without a doubt the production design. The story being set between Alien and Aliens, it uses the same type of space-trucker, retro-future aesthetic that was the standout feature of the first two films. We also get a number of magnificent space vistas. Really some "that's why movie theater exist" type shots. But unlike something like, say, The Creator, this visual quality also give a sense of believability to the world that certainly helps to sell on ok but not necessarily great story.

In the same "ok but not great" bucket, there are several action or horror set pieces in the film, but it feels like not all the potential juice is extracted out of them, so I doubt any one of those will remain in the collective psyche for decades, like scenes from the first few Alien movies have been (and Romulus directly quotes some of those here and there).

A funny fact is that a bunch of the tension works because we know about the aliens and their ecology while the characters do not. I wonder how the film would work for someone seeing this without having seen another Alien movie ever.

It is so much better than what we could have legitimately feared, that I will give this movie 3 stars in my rating system (yuck, meh, *, **, ***, ****). For comparison Prometheus was yuck and Covenant was **.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Goatface

1723664301948.png

Juvarisx

Florida
Yea its sounding like a back to basics Alien / Aliens movie. If thats your jam then you should like it. If you want more Prometheus / Covenant then you suck and will be sad.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Films are released on Wednesday around here so I got to see it. This is not a timeless masterpiece, but in the Alien franchise ranking list, it's probably 3rd or 4th ? My personal disappointment is the poor use of the layout of the station (90% of the movie takes place in a derelict space station). The great strength of Aliens is that it played with the layout of the base, with the contrast between where you are supposed to be (the hallways, the rooms) and where you are not supposed to be (under the floor, above the ceiling, in the ventilation system, in service ducts). You also have the far (the shipping docks) and the below (the alien lair). In Romulus, the spatial structure is more akin to the one of Alien 4: you walk around because you need to reach point A and then point B, etc and it all feels like a chain of locations rather than a coherent space that is being explored. This niche gripe aside, while the general movement of the plot works well, the scenario is certainly not nitpick-proof and I fear the scientific consultant was on holydays at several points during the writing and shooting of this film.

The high point is without a doubt the production design. The story being set between Alien and Aliens, it uses the same type of space-trucker, retro-future aesthetic that was the standout feature of the first two films. We also get a number of magnificent space vistas. Really some "that's why movie theater exist" type shots. But unlike something like, say, The Creator, this visual quality also give a sense of believability to the world that certainly helps to sell on ok but not necessarily great story.

In the same "ok but not great" bucket, there are several action or horror set pieces in the film, but it feels like not all the potential juice is extracted out of them, so I doubt any one of those will remain in the collective psyche for decades, like scenes from the first few Alien movies have been (and Romulus directly quotes some of those here and there).

A funny fact is that a bunch of the tension works because we know about the aliens and their ecology while the characters do not. I wonder how the film would work for someone seeing this without having seen another Alien movie ever.

It is so much better than what we could have legitimately feared, that I will give this movie 3 stars in my rating system (yuck, meh, *, **, ***, ****). For comparison Prometheus was yuck and Covenant was **.
You can go ahead and spoil it for me and just throw it into a spoiler link, but am I right that it's the original alien that they somehow captured and then did machinations and experiments upon?

I know I've said it in the past but I have no burning desire to see this film. Yes it looks I will shot and slick, but all of the characters look like people that I do not care if they get mauled by the aliens.

• 1Like

Szlia

You can go ahead and spoil it for me and just throw it into a spoiler link, but am I right that it's the original alien that they somehow captured and then did machinations and experiments upon?
Barely a spoiler, since it covers the prologue and the exposition:
The prologue of the movie is a Weyland-Yutani ship recovering a kind of hibernating alien from the wreck of the Nostromo. The story follows a group of de facto slaves on a Weyland-Yutani owned planet who noticed a derelict space station and plan to board it, recover cryo-pods from it and use those to do the 9 years trip to an independent planet. The derelict space station having been the laboratory where Weyland-Yutani brought the recovered alien, things don't go as smoothly as they hoped.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Just came back from seeing it with the wife. It was pretty good, the atmosphere/ambiance/scenery is very much like Alien with all the grime and dirt everywhere and clunky designs, and the soundtrack was also pretty reminiscent of the Alien/Aliens sound ambiance. From the early trailers I was picturing a slasher-like film with a bunch of red shirt dumb teens but the team turns out pretty small and the characters are a little more developped than I expected, at least some of them. There are some interesting reveals too, so all in all I thought it was a worthy addition to the franchise, certainly MUCH better than some of the later entries.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users