Awesome Games Done Quick 2017 (Jan 8-15)

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
It would have been close but I don't think he had 50 seconds of Ganon warping in there

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
TARANTULAR!

On a side note, Xelna in the Zelda: A Link to the Past race just casually had the 2nd best run of the game ever. Oh and he is the guy who is the record holder... just about everything went perfectly through the whole run. I suspect that with a little bit of luck in the final Ganon fight he could have improved his world record.
Incredible run. And here I thought seeing my old ROB avatar in the Kirby's Dream Land 3 run was going to be the highlight of the night.

Szlia

I missed the whole Contra block, but Metal Slug 3 was a pretty neat run. It's true though that the most interesting aspect for me was that it's much easier to see the insane amount of crazy detailed animations in the game when not playing it, something that a simple "let's play" also allows.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I appreciate them but 2hr30m is a bit much for me to watch them more than all the other times they've been run. Not that they should stop running it, it is a good break for people that have seen it. Does seem like there are more races / team events this year which has been cool.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Man that Batman Forever run had me rolling. The two guys were hilarious, game was hilarious, and it legit had an enemy named Tarantual which just fuckin detroyed me.

The Awful Games block is my favorite every year. It ran from Batman Forever (a bridge between Batman and Awful blocks) through WolfQuest. Batman Forever, Timecop, Rocky & Bullwinkle, and Big Nose the Caveman and the interview with Authorblues & LackAttack after Dragon's Lair were definitely the highlights this year

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
4 hour speed runs make me not want to watch. But you do get some cool info on the game I will admit. The best games to watch are momentum based platformers.

Szlia

I recommend watching Grandpoobear's run of Super Dram World. It's a Super Mario World mod that is pretty clever and ridiculously hard.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I love watching those. Need to catch the VOD of it.

Did they do a super Mario maker relay this year? I enjoyed those the last two times.

Caliane

superdram world is next, at 1ish Est.

didnt see a mario maker block. tried searching for it in the schedule, but nothing came up. unless I couldnt think of the search term.

Szlia

No Mario Maker this year. A team relay thing was entered just like the previous year, but it was not selected by the organizers, possibly because it was a bit more of the same and that it can easily go over estimate. They also have a Mystery Game relay race going at some point that kinda scratch a kind of similar hitch (people having to overcome something they discover as they play it).

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
TASBot blocks are usually good but they do a terrible terrible job of explaining what is going on.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
They host TASBot the same every year and every year the hosting is terrible. The whole "feigned ignorance" is so dumb.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Yeah, they kept us in the dark way too long. There was no explanation at all as to why we went from Zelda 3 to Super Mario 64 and Portal on a SNES. It was actually getting frustrating to watch, which is a shame because the tech behind what they're doing is probably pretty impressive.

Also, I don't know what the point is getting the Twitch chat involved when it instantaneously devolves into mass spamming every time.