BB.com Misc Refugee Thread

Freeburn

Silver Squire
My problem is I can't get over the feeling that you are buying an apartment. I realize that construction is generally better so you don't have the apartment noise issues but still.
Yeah my main issue with it is I would be the horrible neighbor

I have a full dolby atmos surround sound setup (not sound bar crap but actual home theater) and it's just insanely loud. If I'm watching action movies I will put my dog outside or in another room so he doesn't go Def lol

My mom lives in a condo in Florida and it's built to withstand hurricanes, you can't hear a Fkn thing in it the walls and floors are sooooooo thick. I would need a building like that.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

northernlights7

Buzzfeed Editor
My problem is I can't get over the feeling that you are buying an apartment. I realize that construction is generally better so you don't have the apartment noise issues but still.

Condos/townhomes are essentially designed to appeal to people who want the feeling of owning a real house with fewer of the responsibilities that can typically come with it. Other than that, there's not much reason to buy a condo/townhouse over a detached house as a personal residence.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Freeburn

Silver Squire
Just to revisit this post quick....

Just noticed where you said you grew up spending 4 hours mowing a lawn with a push mower growing up. That's just silly; I'd say someone should really get a rider if their lawn would take them more than maybe 90 minutes not including other side things like weed wacking. Even spending 2 hours on it with a push mower would get old fast, so no wonder you hate it now lol
Yeah idk it was like an awkward lawn, like it wasn't really big enough for a ride on, but still alot for a push mower.

Either way my parents had me so they didn't care lol.

My parents weren't poor by any means, but not rich enough that they'd be like "well it takes freeburn alot of time to cut the lawn and he hates it so let's get a ride on mower"

• 1Like

northernlights7

Buzzfeed Editor

I have a full dolby atmos surround sound setup (not sound bar crap but actual home theater) and it's just insanely loud. If I'm watching action movies I will put my dog outside or in another room so he doesn't go Def lol

My mom lives in a condo in Florida and it's built to withstand hurricanes, you can't hear a Fkn thing in it the walls and floors are sooooooo thick. I would need a building like that.

Yep. You want to be loud with loud music, playing an instrument, and shit like that? You'd make an awful condo neighbor. Want to have a dog or two while having proper space for it? A condo/townhome isn't gonna be ideal at all for that.

It really just comes down to what one wants out of a home. If they want to do things like my examples above, a townhouse/condo situation won't work well. Want minimal responsibilities of home ownership while still sort of doing the home owner thing, townhomes can be great for people like that

Palum

what Suineg set it to

Yea, we are going to be most likely inheriting a condo on the coast in FL and have been thinking about what to do with it. I have been thinking about the 2-3 condos in various places retirement and just travel a bit in between. It's one of those things that I think we'll end up at a place where I just don't want to maintain everything anymore and it will be more convenient to have effectively hotel rooms close to places we'd want to visit and live in them vs. continue to sink money into a house at the point where the majority of our ROI on big maintenance items will have been used up.

• 2Like

yabbayabba

Golden Knight of the Realm
two floors and a basement - share one wall with a neighbor cause i have an end unit. I never hear them (older couple - actually really cool older couple - they're in their 60s and just started getting tattoos - the woman has one on her ankle the dude is close to having sleeves) but they sometimes hear my kid when she is jumping around.

Not much different than the rowhomes I used to live in in Philly - just a condo though so I don't own any of the grounds outside other than my patio and the first four feet from the house is for landscaping.
That doesn't sound too bad. And the thing with the condo is you could do some sound proofing if you really wanted to. My other issue with the condo is the lack of yard. While I don't want to mow it, I like a big yard so I don't have neighbors. Anything less than 100 feet is too close.

I had a neighbor like that when I lived in an apartment. The whole kitchen and living room would rattle from the bass. So I got one of those butt thumper subs and a powered amp and placed it high up on the shared kitchen wall then would play a 10 hour loop of an avalanche. It was enough to be heard over their sound system because they'd try and turn theirs up. And I'd only turn this on when I heard their bass so you'd think they'd get the idea of why I was doing it. But no, one time I heard them walking out the door complaining about how noisy I was.

• 1Like

yabbayabba

Golden Knight of the Realm
Yea, we are going to be most likely inheriting a condo on the coast in FL and have been thinking about what to do with it. I have been thinking about the 2-3 condos in various places retirement and just travel a bit in between. It's one of those things that I think we'll end up at a place where I just don't want to maintain everything anymore and it will be more convenient to have effectively hotel rooms close to places we'd want to visit and live in them vs. continue to sink money into a house at the point where the majority of our ROI on big maintenance items will have been used up.
If you had the money for one of those 80' RVs to travel the country in your retirement and have some assorted condos as some home bases wouldn't be a bad idea.

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
If you had the money for one of those 80' RVs to travel the country in your retirement and have some assorted condos as some home bases wouldn't be a bad idea.

Have done the RV thing in the past. Bought our last one months before COVID and recently sold it. The costs are outrageous now, it's the same price for many RV "resort" spots as it is for a hotel room now. Also, towing cross country is very tiring. Maybe it will rebalance at some point but it seems like inflation aside, the 'minimum cost of entry' for everything recreational went full retard post covid, which makes the value of previously cheap rec activities questionable. If I'm going to pay 50k for a 4x4 I'm just going to buy a new bronco or a wrangler, not a polaris lmao. Same deal with $150/night stays, might as well just use a hotel at that point.

• 1Like

Bald Brah

Molten Core Raider

Not a bad idea if they are in resort towns and you air b&b them out.

Terrible idea if you just want places to yourself. Better off having a home base somewhere you enjoy and just traveling.

• 1Like
For everyone in Florida

pleasestaysafe.jpg

Old time miscers will get it.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Am I really the only one here who actually enjoys some yard work to an extent? I don't like busting my ass on it real hard, don't get me wrong. That said, it only takes me maybe 90 minutes total per week (when it's raining a lot, it's more like 2+ weeks when it's dry out) to run a gas push mower through the lawn and to doll things up with a weed wacker. I almost consider it therapeutic when I do it, unless it's scorching hot out, but then I just do it early in the day before it gets truly awful out. In my case, it would make zero sense to pay a premium to have someone else do it for me.
upgrade to an electric mower and you can mow in the dark like i did this summer

Polaris

Lord Nagafen Raider
Nah, yard work is lame...especially when you get all kinds of random Bull Shit popping up (and thriving) all over the place/in inconvenient areas. I get all kinds of weeds and various bull shit that I don't want to deal with and on two different occasions have had boomers come over and "I have a weed whacker you can use if you need it..." Yeah, I take the hint...now fuck off.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Nah, yard work is lame...especially when you get all kinds of random Bull Shit popping up (and thriving) all over the place/in inconvenient areas. I get all kinds of weeds and various bull shit that I don't want to deal with and on two different occasions have had boomers come over and "I have a weed whacker you can use if you need it..." Yeah, I take the hint...now fuck off.
MyGhettoFantasy MyGhettoFantasy i think i found your neighbor

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Nah, yard work is lame...especially when you get all kinds of random Bull Shit popping up (and thriving) all over the place/in inconvenient areas. I get all kinds of weeds and various bull shit that I don't want to deal with.

Yard work is an important surrogate activity to keep otherwise soft and urbane Americans minimally tethered to their heritage of the yeoman farmer and landed gentry. To abandon all connection to the land invites a creeping madness as you become unmoored by reality. Cut the lawn not your dick off.

Erronius

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Just noticed where you said you grew up spending 4 hours mowing a lawn with a push mower growing up. That's just silly; I'd say someone should really get a rider if their lawn would take them more than maybe 90 minutes not including other side things like weed wacking. Even spending 2 hours on it with a push mower would get old fast, so no wonder you hate it now lol

4hrs with a push mower isn't that bad. I think I did closer to 10-12hrs a week as a kid for a few years.

That's not some sort of a humblebrag, either. It fucking sucked.

Every day after school I would mow for an hour or two. When it was wet it would take longer and usually eat my Saturday too. But later in the summer when it got hot, I might be done by late Wednesday or early Thursday night.

We had a lot of acreage, and the 'yard' was fucking ridiculous. Plus my father was a cheap bastard of the highest order. When he did finally 'splurge' on a used riding mower, it was the smallest riding mower you can get. I think he paid $100 or $150 for it? It was a Snapper though, and for as small as it was, that fucking thing was a million times better than a push mower.

But around that time my family also decided to start fixing all of the fencing in the fields and doubling down on the livestock. So all of time the riding mower saved me, was then spent doing a bunch of that fucking shit.

The only thing I hated worse than push-mowing, was doing fencing. When my dad was too cheap to buy fence posts (he relented years later) I would have to go out with a chainsaw and find the straightest hedge-apple limbs/trees and cut posts. That wood never rots. Then I'd have to spend a lot of time digging holes in the clay with one of those clamshell diggers, by hand.

The weird thing about it, was that for all the labor I did as a kid, I was super skinny and never gained weight until I joined the Army. It was fucking bizarre.

• 1Like