Civilization 7

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The game millennia kinda flopped and had some serious flaws, but, the evolving ages and the varying choices were very cool. The age mechanic they're putting in c7 could be really awesome if done well. The evolving civ background also can be pretty decent, since you arent locked in from turn 1 and also arent themed or based on uu timing for all ins, or pick an early war setup but then try to evolve into late game econ or vice versa.

Basically the ideas themselves sound good, on top of the tile monopoly cleanup, makes it sound like a good thing. I'm not sure I trust them enough to preorder, but my hopes are SLIGHTLY up for a decent civ game. I think eu4 and stellaris each have 10x the steam hours of civ 5 and 6 for me. I'd like to have a slightly less intense and chill game to play. Hopefully by the 2nd dlc this is it...

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
For some reasons, my pleasure in Civ games is to manage my mines, towns, irrigation, etc. I loved in a previous version when you could have trade post on special ressources far away, that was awesome and I dearly miss. Civ 6 was a complete miss by me since I found the system to be oversimplified.

Burns

Well, if anyone is looking for a new-ish 4X game that is fantasy and fairly complex, may I suggest Dominions 6. I sunk 1000+ hours into the 4th game with Warhammer races on a huge DnD map, and they mostly have just added mechanics on top of the older games, so they are very similar:

The fall sale might see another 30% off sale.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'll probably try this. Usually try each one. But I spent an incredible amount of my time in III and IV. Every one after that had better graphics but were basically the same game. Which is fine, it's a good formula and it wouldn't be a Civ game if they didn't follow it. But been there done that. Kind of tired of all the 4x games.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
I played the original Civ on my 386SX/16. I poured 1000's of hours into Sid Meier's Railroad Tycoon! or whatever. When I upgraded to my 486/100, I was amazed at how much faster the turns went in Colonization. I bought anything they slapped Sid's name on until the Call to Power Civ, whichever that one was. I think I own Civs 5 and 6 but haven't spent much time playing them; have played more of the alt-Civ's: Old World, Millenia, Humankind, but other than Old World never really spent much time with any of them.

I too await EU 5 but the way I can't get into many of these games, like Vic 3, I wonder if the Grand Strat genre just isn't for me any more. Was my go to gaming jam for most of my life.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, that's what I figured. Civ 4 was fine, I mean, it cheated but at least it felt like a fight. Civ 5 and especially 6 got very uninteresting, felt like your opponents were barely playing.

• 1Like

Goonsquad Officer
yea in civ 4 it was just a hammer designed to death ball up and advance at you. cheap shots and all. 5+ , i guess due to single unit occupation and hex movements the ai shit itself trying to find a new route. i hated it man. I'd rather some one make a square ass death ball version of civ again.

but i guess instead we're getting "play a new kingdom each age lol"

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, that's what I figured. Civ 4 was fine, I mean, it cheated but at least it felt like a fight. Civ 5 and especially 6 got very uninteresting, felt like your opponents were barely playing.

The only way to enjoy civ 6 is emperor difficulty imo. You get cheated pretty hard early game but you can catch up mid and have pretty decent runs. I wouldn’t play it but it’s the only grand strat that’s ported well to an ipad and nice to fart around on in the evening when watching TV. Almost any other of the big name grand strats are better.

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I heard that this will be online-only? Dealbreaker for me, if so...

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I can't wait for Harriet Tubman to be a leader and I spend the whole game stealing everyone else's settlers

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
The only way to enjoy civ 6 is emperor difficulty imo. You get cheated pretty hard early game but you can catch up mid and have pretty decent runs. I wouldn’t play it but it’s the only grand strat that’s ported well to an ipad and nice to fart around on in the evening when watching TV. Almost any other of the big name grand strats are better.

This. You have to play emperor difficulty for a challenge. Even THAT only matters early game, because once you hit the industrial era, it's like the AI doesn't attack, just go all in on a goal like the space race or something.

Goonsquad Officer
I miss the cat and mouse game from civ 4. Bronze age axe and spears and chariots dancing in squares to guard structures, while waiting for that second axeman to build so you can stack them for a proper army

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I heard that this will be online-only? Dealbreaker for me, if so...
The real dealbreaker for me is Denuvo. I have steam for DRM, I don't need trash DRM in addition to that. Hard pass.

*EDIT* This might be what you've heard about on-line only. Denuvo requires frequent checks online, and will lock the game if it can't connect. You can play with Offline steam, but trash DRM is trash DRM.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users