Coffee Thread

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
sure depending on how much you want to spend,....
Whats a step up?, the bodum for that you get a conical burr grinder and an anti static glas container so your coffee grounds don't jump everywhere, it can of course get more expensive from then on, but thats only really for espresso territory, where you need ultra fine adjustments. (or you prefer more features like bigger hopper or a dosser)
I just had a guy at Costco tell the same thing - I was looking at some beans (and he told me that he had both coffees I was pondering purchasing) and told me that he uses the bodum with the anti static glass container...so - thanks for the link because my current grinder is shit. Yay Amazon Prime. Yay new coffee (PT's coffee out of Topeka KS - Columbia and Park Avenue (air roasted) St Vincente honduran).
I will try it in two days :)

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I just had a guy at Costco tell the same thing - I was looking at some beans (and he told me that he had both coffees I was pondering purchasing) and told me that he uses the bodum with the anti static glass container...so - thanks for the link because my current grinder is shit. Yay Amazon Prime. Yay new coffee (PT's coffee out of Topeka KS - Columbia and Park Avenue (air roasted) St Vincente honduran).
I will try it in two days :)

Oh cool, i visited PT's roasting facilities back in 2012, I remember them saying they were the top roasting supplier for KS, beans were nice, i was travelling so I only had my aeropress and grinder with me, (gave me an extra bag when i told the guy this) maybe i'll revisit their beans again.

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
Oh cool, i visited PT's roasting facilities back in 2012, I remember them saying they were the top roasting supplier for KS, beans were nice, i was travelling so I only had my aeropress and grinder with me, (gave me an extra bag when i told the guy this) maybe i'll revisit their beans again.
I realized that I didn't identify Park Avenue as a St. Louis roaster..so if you are here - you should try them too, as a bonus Park Avenue is famous for their gooey butter cakes.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I realized that I didn't identify Park Avenue as a St. Louis roaster..so if you are here - you should try them too, as a bonus Park Avenue is famous for their gooey butter cakes.
Oh no, i was only there for a few month when my wife was starting up a plant

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Normally, I would agree in re flavors, for some reason, this one is pretty tasty...but only when mixed with dark roast 100%. Otherwise it would be too much. At least for me.

Dark roast is the well done steak of the coffee world!

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
Dark roast is the well done steak of the coffee world!
Oh...to each his own.
I think it may depend more on the bean and if it can stand up to brunette versus blonde....that and my palate likes variety...in almost all things.
I can appreciate individual nuances in foods and beverages. I do the same with music, books, movies, activities and people. ;)

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
How the fuck I missed this thread, I'll never know.

My shitty blade grinder broke (and by broke I mean my wife used it on whole cloves and now it's fucking ruined), so I bought a Cuisinart Burr Grinder for $35 from Amazon. How badly did I fuck up that purchase?

I'm mainly brewing pourovers via a Hairo or Chemex.

Tried Caribou coffee this weekend
http://amzn.to/2ar1TCS

They're the same roasters as Peets, eh not as fully bodied as my current number one Don Pablo
http://amzn.to/2ar22WK

Tho, i miss their city roast, i think i'll try that again.
This is incorrect, Caribou's roasting plant is in Minneapolis [proper] (unless it changed in the last 18 months). I don't think they started sourcing the Peet's stuff from there after the holding company bought Caribou, but I could be wrong. The friends I have that work there are in IT, so I don't get a ton of info.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
How the fuck I missed this thread, I'll never know.

My shitty blade grinder broke (and by broke I mean my wife used it on whole cloves and now it's fucking ruined), so I bought a Cuisinart Burr Grinder for $35 from Amazon. How badly did I fuck up that purchase?

I'm mainly brewing pourovers via a Hairo or Chemex.

since it's a disc grinder (uses two flat discs) and not a conical burr grinder (picture two funnels) you'll get the "flakey" grinds (i'll look like dandruff and not uniform like salt). Also you'll get old grinds since flat grinders leave 1/2oz in the discs, (which is why ppl always try to get a conical grinder if possible) which could change your flavor profile.

However you've been using a blade grinder... so it'll be better than that, however you're not gonna like the bin that holds the coffee, it'll get messy with grinds everywhere, you'll need to constantly wipe your countertop and/or put some tray underneath the grinder.

This is all just prep tho, it'll be annoying only later on, firstly you'll relish in the fact that you can have unattended grinding.

I'd still recommend the bodom as the good fairly priced option, clean up is minimal with the glass jar and it's a conical grinder too, you can ask Ms. Gravy how it's working for her.

However being that you have a Chemex, i'm surprised you don't have a manual burr grinder, i've linked the metal kind i get for like 8bucks.

Actually the internals are entirely a direct copy of the hario slim grinder, since i just repurposed a piece of plastic from my old hario slim, at 1/3 the price of a hario slim you should have at least one.

Also, i have 1 specifically for pepper and another for spices, you could get your wife one for the spices she can use to grind, rather than use a cruddy blade grinder. Why do i use a coffee grinder for peppercorns and spices? you have near infinite settings and you can get down to espresso fine with these grinders, while a basic pepper grinder will give you big chucks of pepper, try it, it's only like 8bucks.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Alright, I'm going to cave and get one of the handheld burr grinders... which would you recommend?

Honestly the biggest reason for the handheld is because it'll be quiet, so I can make the coffee before my kids/family are up.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Alright, I'm going to cave and get one of the handheld burr grinders... which would you recommend?

Honestly the biggest reason for the handheld is because it'll be quiet, so I can make the coffee before my kids/family are up.
the cheapest one, they are all the fucking same internals this one right now (because they change so quick) is 10bucks I have 3 from different companies, all the same, they just silkscreen a different logo.

And again, it's the same exact shit as a 25$ hario, so thats a great deal.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Get the metal mesh filter with it too?
i thought you were a chemex guy? you doing the aeropress too?, well if you prefer crema, yea try the metal mesh filter, most get the "S-filter" brand, they've gone through a few iterations.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I'm about 80% V60, 20% Chemex. I want an aeropress to take with me when I travel (to the inlaws, camping, etc).

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'm about 80% V60, 20% Chemex. I want an aeropress to take with me when I travel (to the inlaws, camping, etc).
perfect, the metal grinders i linked fit rightinside an aeropress
4DjnlmW.jpg

Destiny's Paw

Golden Squire
Been drinking coffee for forty years and been noticing the quality of "off the shelf grind" going to crap and taste like mud. Any robust coffee drinkers have a brand that I could try that is worthy of a auto-drip machine?

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Man, I don't know shit about coffee but the Nespresso machine I just bought with my Chase points is the bomb. Cafe Latte all day boys