College Football 2016-2017 Season

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
Typical FSU fashion. Looks terrible first half, then dominate the second. My team has personal experience with them on this matter.

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
Oh shit. The wheels are coming off.

This is the kind of shit that would happen when Jameis Winston was there. And guess who's on the sideline? It's free crab leg mojo.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
"FSU has trailed at halftime of a regular season game 6 times since 2013. The Seminoles have won all 6, including 2 wins when trailing by 13+"

Fun fact

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah. How the heck was that not targeting? Holy shit. Now that receiver is on concussion leave. And Texas has the win and no penalty.

Thanks Obama.

No idea. I think it is clearly targeting. Shitty rule and it should be legal (would be in the NFL) but that hit falls under the rule in my opinion.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Yeah. How the heck was that not targeting? Holy shit. Now that receiver is on concussion leave. And Texas has the win and no penalty.

Thanks Obama.

Can you remind me what targeting is? Cause that looks like a clean hit from that angle. The receiver clearly hadn't finished catching the ball, otherwise it would have been a TD, and the guy led with his shoulder pads, not the crown of his helmet. Both feet were on the ground so I don't see him being called a defenseless receiver. The only thing he could have done better from a technical standpoint was go a little lower so his helmet / shoulder pad would hit the ball. But the ball popped out anyway, so he hit low enough.

It's a rough sport. Sometimes people get knocked the fuck out. There must be something stupid and specific about the targeting penalty if that was targeting.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Holy shit, I just looked at the rest of the cougars schedule. So basically they're ending the year ranked top 2 or 3, or they lose one of those games and drop out of the rankings altogether. I'm not even sure all of these teams are division 1.

Sat, Sep 3 vs
upload_2016-9-6_14-39-57.png
Oklahoma W 23 - 33 Final

Sat, Sep 10 vs
-m-0cz8v8z__56x42.png
Lamar

Thu, Sep 15 @
-m-057xkj___56x42.png
Cincinnati

Sat, Sep 24 @
-m-05f70t7__56x42.png
Texas State

Thu, Sep 29 vs
-m-057xg6b__56x42.png
Connecticut

Sat, Oct 8 @
-m-025yr0y__56x42.png
Navy

Sat, Oct 15 vs
-m-04p_yp2__56x42.png
Tulsa

Sat, Oct 22 @
-m-04_1my0__56x42.png
SMU

Sat, Oct 29 vs
-m-08pxkj__56x42.png
UCF

Sat, Nov 12 vs
-m-04f7dc1__56x42.png
Tulane

Thu, Nov 17 vs
-m-0fbftr__56x42.png
Louisville

Fri, Nov 25 @
-m-076_0b2__56x42.png
Memphis

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Can you remind me what targeting is? Cause that looks like a clean hit from that angle. The receiver clearly hadn't finished catching the ball, otherwise it would have been a TD, and the guy led with his shoulder pads, not the crown of his helmet. Both feet were on the ground so I don't see him being called a defenseless receiver. The only thing he could have done better from a technical standpoint was go a little lower so his helmet / shoulder pad would hit the ball. But the ball popped out anyway, so he hit low enough.

It's a rough sport. Sometimes people get knocked the fuck out. There must be something stupid and specific about the targeting penalty if that was targeting.

Yeah, he lead with his helmet. The first thing to hit his opponent was his helmet. And it hit the other players helmet.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Yeah, he lead with his helmet. The first thing to hit his opponent was his helmet. And it hit the other players helmet.

Is that the definition? I don't know, judging from that angle, it looks like it was hand, shoulder pad, then helmet that hit. And there was probably an elbow hitting too on the other side before the helmet. I can't find a copy of that that's slowed down, but I did find this still which shows his shoulder and arm making contact and his head not making contact yet. It looks like the guy angled his body at the end to lead with the shoulder pad instead of the helmet. However, the shoulder pad is making contact with the receiver's helmet, so if targeting is just defined as making initial contact with the opponents helmet then this would fit.

1473127283652.jpg

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Targeting rule:

Targeting and Initiating Contact to Head or Neck Area of a Defenseless Player (Rule 9-1-4)
No player shall target and initiate contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent with the helmet, forearm, fist, elbow or shoulder. When in question, it is a foul. (Rule 2-27-14)

The only way you can argue it wasn't targeting is he actually was aiming for a lower point on the WR but the WR lowered the moment before they make contact. This logic is basically never used though.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I didn't even see the ND player duck down. IMO, I think the way he turned before contact showed he was trying to do it right, and that seems a lot like an 'intent' rule. His intent here was obviously to knock the ball loose, not to hurt someone. It's possible the first contact was shoulder to shoulder, and that might be a technicality that made them not call it. All I know is that according to the announcers, targeting can be assessed by the replay booth and the replay booth had plenty of time to review it while they were tending to him on the field.