Community

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think you guys are too harsh. I remember last season's opener wasn't too hot either. I think they have to get through the "story" kind of stuff to set up the year.

I have faith.
The 3rd episode of the season (Inspector Spacetime convention) was already seen by critics and it also got bad reviews. It is like the writers know the premise of the jokes they are supposed to make but fail to execute them properly. Like in this episode, Pierce always calls Jeff gay, but the execution was poor. The audience was concerned about the show changing so they had Abed imagine a multi-camera laugh track show, but never really made any jokes about it.

Pizoi

Golden Squire
This episode was straight up awful, as bad or worse than most of last season which I thought was mostly shit. There's only been a couple decent episodes since season 2 ended.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Episode felt more like a parody, whole thing fell flat, I maybe chuckled a few times. Doesn't necessarily mean the sky is falling but it's not a good start to the season.

Unlike a lot of people I actually liked S3, even if it was definitely a drop in quality from S2, so I'm keeping my hopes up.

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The audience was concerned about the show changing so they had Abed imagine a multi-camera laugh track show, but never really made any jokes about it.
I took it as them insulting laugh tracks since its the only way to have a popular comedy and went about it fine, I think the episode was on par with most of the shit from last season which I didnt care fore either.

Knytestorme_sl

shitlord
I'm also wondering if that episode got fucked because of the Chevy Chase thing. It seemed almost like the headspace moments were done using Fred Willard because Chevy had left before they were filmed, and I don't think you actually see more than the sleeved arm sitting next to Abed every time they cut to him entering happyland. I'm willing to accept not getting more than a chuckle or two from this episode because I have the doubt that Chevy leaving fucked with the flow they had planned, but if the rest of the season keeps up being as unfunny as this ep was then I don't think I'd really care to see #6seasonsandamovie of it

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Joel McHale was on Howard Stern this week and he said Chevy was around to film every episode this season.

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
What... the... fuck.... did they do to community...
I can put up with laugh tracks in other comedies, but for some reason it was especially annoying here. I really can't think of a worse episode than this, I hope next episode they're back to form.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
What... the... fuck.... did they do to community...
I can put up with laugh tracks in other comedies, but for some reason it was especially annoying here. I really can't think of a worse episode than this, I hope next episode they're back to form.
I'm pretty sure the laugh tracks were in there to make fun of other comedies with horrible laugh tracks.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The laugh tracks etc were obviously a jab at multi-camera shitshows like Big Bang. But it just didn't work. Felt kind of like what Rengak said. Felt like it was written by people that watched every episode but just didn't have the chops to pull off one themselves.

Best line was Shirley when they were doing the popcorn and Annie was ranting. "Oh, this isn't a conversation is it?"

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm undecided if the problem with the sitcom in Abed's head was that they went too over the top or they didn't go over the top enough. It felt like they wanted to do a parody of Community as a sitcom, but it mostly just felt like the parody elements were left out, or it went on too long. It wasn't a funny enough or well done enough of a gag to stretch almost half of the episode, unlike whenScrubs did the same thing.

spinnaker

reformed lurker
<Bronze Donator>
It wasn't a funny enough or well done enough of a gag to stretch almost half of the episode, unlike whenScrubs did the same thing.
The only thing I remember from that episode is Elliot's cleavage.

rrr_img_12648.jpg

rrr_img_12648.jpg

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
So wait, if the show took a tired and formulaic idea and made it suck, does that mean it did a good job of critiquing it?
For there to be critique, I'd say there either has to be parody or exaggerated enough to read their intent. This was more of an emulation. However, given Abed's personality, itdoesmake sense. He's someone who has a long history of seeing things through the lens of a sitcom, so it would follow that his fantasy would be more straightforward than critique, which makes me wonder if that is what they really were going for. So, in that sense, it worked in the context of Abed, but still not necessarily in the context of the show.

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
Harmon is a mastermind for getting canned or whatever. This show hasn't been very funny for a while, a few bright spots last season but mostly pretty meh. It felt like a typical bad episode from last season to me (with way too much happy place flash scenes), but now people can blame all the new guys

an accordion_sl

shitlord
Harmon is a mastermind for getting canned or whatever. This show hasn't been very funny for a while, a few bright spots last season but mostly pretty meh. It felt like a typical bad episode from last season to me (with way too much happy place flash scenes), but now people can blame all the new guys
Yeah, I agree with this. I was expecting something horrible based on the posts here, but it just a typical season 3 episode.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Hell, I liked the abed TV version. I think they should let them all graduate this season, then bring them back for one more season of the abed TV version. Complete with fred willard, who's probably a better pierce than chevy.