Desktop Computers

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So all my new shit will be here tomorrow :) 1600x, 16gb Gskill Flare X pc3200, H110i, and a Gigabyte B350 Gaming 3 mobo. I'll throw my 1080Ti, and 3 850 Evo SSDs in there on a clean install of Windows 10 and see what's what. Pretty excited, though I must admit I feel kind of dirty going AMD but I couldn't resist! Muwah haha.

I'm kind of already annoyed with Ryzen though because I really wanted to go 32gb of ram, and Newegg had the Gskill Flare X 32gb set (2x16gb sticks) for $199 when I ordered, compared to the $175 I paid for 16gb. However it's only spec'd to run at 2400mhz vs 3200mhz for the 16gb set - and I hear that memory speed is like king shit as far as Ryzen performance is concerned :(
I'm curious to see if you have any issues booting with Ryzen. Post in this thread if you don't mind. I went with the Gigabyte B350 G3 too, but with a 1600 instead of 1600X. It's looking like I'll have to wait until Tuesday for everything to arrive.

That's the only thing I'm a little concerned about. And the reason I went with the Gigabyte board is dual boot BIOS, so hopefully updating it won't be a giant cluster (which are some of the negatives I heard about the MSI board). It also seems to have better support for RAM, as I've heard of people being limited to below 2333MHz because of poorly implemented/written BIOS.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Easy to explain:

If you play at 1080p/60fps all you need is a 1060 and you'll basically never need anything better.

If you have a 1080p/120+ or 1440p/60 fps monitor, you want to find a 1070 on sale.

If you have a 1440p/120+ fps monitor, you should try finding a 1080 on sale.

If you have a 3440x1440 Ultrawide or 4k monitor you want a 1080ti.

My 1070 has been fine with 1440p 144hz.

Fulorian

Golden Knight of the Realm
I'm curious to see if you have any issues booting with Ryzen. Post in this thread if you don't mind. I went with the Gigabyte B350 G3 too, but with a 1600 instead of 1600X. It's looking like I'll have to wait until Tuesday for everything to arrive.

That's the only thing I'm a little concerned about. And the reason I went with the Gigabyte board is dual boot BIOS, so hopefully updating it won't be a giant cluster (which are some of the negatives I heard about the MSI board). It also seems to have better support for RAM, as I've heard of people being limited to below 2333MHz because of poorly implemented/written BIOS.

Most people have had zero issues getting the G.skill Flare X to run at their advertised timings on Ryzen w/ any recent BIOS. The 2x8 3200 14/14/14/34 kit I got ran flawlessly out of the box. Just enable the profile and reboot twice.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Nah second monitor is shit like Chrome (though I usually have a twitch stream open), Skype (don't judge me, it's not my choice), and shit like that.

Should I be getting third party fans if I get the h110i?
naw, it's already like $130, if you use the software and just run fans at 50%, you should be good, unless you OC like a demon.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I'm looking at something like this atm. I have to spend some time and look at cases. I'm unsure if I'm going to get an extra storage drive or just rip the 3tb out of my current (which I'm not taking apart, it'll be used for other stuff).

System Build - PCPartPicker

I'll probably be a little over what I wanted to spend, so it might be like a month before I bite. Is there anything coming out in the near future that might change costs that I should wait?

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I'm looking at something like this atm. I have to spend some time and look at cases. I'm unsure if I'm going to get an extra storage drive or just rip the 3tb out of my current (which I'm not taking apart, it'll be used for other stuff).

System Build - PCPartPicker

I'll probably be a little over what I wanted to spend, so it might be like a month before I bite. Is there anything coming out in the near future that might change costs that I should wait?

Link is blank.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Ordered mine two and a half days ago, and it's still processing.

Probably the first and last time I order from Jet. They've got a long way to go to become a legitimate competitor to Amazon.

Sucks. I ordered a Roku from them during Black Friday last year and it came fast.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Sucks. I ordered a Roku from them during Black Friday last year and it came fast.
I think it's because they use so many third party sellers. I was doing some reading and it sounds like a lot of the time they're probably not updating to Jet's system, so people will receive things and it will never reflect that it even shipped.

I contacted their help desk last night and they basically just said, "We're working with the seller, we're confident you'll get your shit by the date we said." I don't exactly get warm and fuzzies from that reply.

It's entirely possible that my chip gets here today. But in 2017 to have a system that can't update is inexcusable. Sours me on using their service ever again.

Edit: Just shipped. Fucking 3 days after I ordered. Hopefully it's actually a 1600 and also not broken.

Last edited:

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile
Posting from my Ryzen build. Zero issues so far. Everything has been smooth. Ram booted at 3200mhz with A-XMP profile no problem.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Someone mentioned fans last page and every since I put together my new build with PWM fans they act strange, or maybe normal? It's like instead of there being this gradual ramp up of speed when needed they're pulsing between low and high. They're plugged in correctly and bios / windows settings look good... Not sure, need to dig in a little, maybe it is working as intended, not sure.

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile
Second day on Ryzen and all seems fine. 4ghz @ 1.4vcore, 32~ ish c idle, 50~ ish c gaming. No crashes or BSODs yet. Only issue I had was DX12 renderer in Division is buggy and causes FPS drops and micro stutter. Runs like butter under DX11 though, and my minimum framerate has improved. Really can't complain at all.

• 1Like

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Someone mentioned fans last page and every since I put together my new build with PWM fans they act strange, or maybe normal? It's like instead of there being this gradual ramp up of speed when needed they're pulsing between low and high. They're plugged in correctly and bios / windows settings look good... Not sure, need to dig in a little, maybe it is working as intended, not sure.

Pretty sure that is going to depend on software. Some will monitor the temps and step up the fan incrementally at set speeds. You likely aren't at a linear increase and it's just bouncing between the two speeds as it is fluctuating in temp. Go into your MB settings and look for fan control. On my Asus it is called "Q fan control". I disabled mine and run 100% all the time because I bought quiet fans.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Pretty sure that is going to depend on software. Some will monitor the temps and step up the fan incrementally at set speeds. You likely aren't at a linear increase and it's just bouncing between the two speeds as it is fluctuating in temp. Go into your MB settings and look for fan control. On my Asus it is called "Q fan control". I disabled mine and run 100% all the time because I bought quiet fans.

Ah yeah. I found that, and then also found something in AI Suite I never really bothered to open that ran a fan test and plotted the curves of everything. Now they're nice a smooth. Mostly silent, not 100%, but not pulsing like before.

• 1Like

Neki

Molten Core Raider
Who was that guy that ordered the 16k computer on here that came in a fucking military looking crate?

It looked insane but I still wouldn't have paid that when I could have paid my vehicle off.

rrr_img_44896.jpg
rrr_img_44894.jpg
rrr_img_44895.jpg

Specifications:

Chassis Model
: Special Deal Hot Seller - Black OPS Aventum II
Exterior Finish: Onyx Black Matte Finish with Red Stand
Trim Accents: - Not Available
Processor: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 4960X 3.6GHz (Six-Core) (Extreme Performance)
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme X79 (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 32GB DDR3 1866MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)
Power Supply: PROMOTION: 1500W EVGA SuperNOVA NEX1500 Classified (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) <b></b>
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs) (Slim Slot Loading Edition)
Storage Set 1: 1x (1TB Solid State (By: Samsung) (Model: 840 EVO Series) <b></b>
Storage Set 2: - No Thanks <b></b>
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s):3x SLI Triple (NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN 6GB (Includes PhysX)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: 1x NVIDIA Tesla K20 Computing Processor (5GB of Memory) <b></b>
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux Copper: Digital Storm Copper Pipe Custom Cooling System (Video Cards + CPU + Chipset)
H20 Tube Color:Red Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive) <b></b>
Chassis Fans: Upgrade Chassis With LED Performance Fans (Red) (Up to 6 Fans) <b></b>
Internal Lighting: Digital Storm HydroLux RGB LED Lighting System (Requires HydroLux Control Board & Software)
Airflow Control: Digital Storm HydroLux Thermal Management Control Board & Software
Chassis Mods: Hailstorm II: Bottom Baseplate Mod (Cleaner Wiring Look & DS Logo Branding) <b></b>
Noise Reduction: Noise Suppression Package Stage 2 (Optimized Airflow & Fan Speeds with Noise Dampening Material) <b></b>
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro/Deluxe/Sabertooth Motherboard)
Boost Graphics Card(s):Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability <b></b>
Boost Memory: Memory Fan Kit Only (Does not include memory overclocking service) <b></b>
Boost OS: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system <b></b>
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 15-20 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 6 Year Limited Warranty (6 Year Labor & 4 Year Part Replacement)

$16.8K

That's insane

I wonder how much it will cost to build a similar rig the days?

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
A couple Grand? It's tough to say. I don't know what those Titans go for now. But having 3x for gaming is dumb.