Desktop Computers

Fucker

Log Wizard
I'd like there to be someway to preview fan noise. I know that sounds vague but I'd like to know, before purchasing, if this NH-D15 G2 would make an acoustic difference over my Peerless Assassin. They seem to cool almost identically when noise normalized, but I would definitely pay more if the fans spinning up was less noticeable. I can definitely notice when my Peerless Assassin spins up unless the game/media is relatively loud itself.

Jovec

?
I think what annoys me is those unexpected cpu cranks. Playing a game, loading a map, sure, I expect a brief spin up. Watching something and some background task decides it needs to munch your cpu for a bit, that's annoying.

Fan ramp up / hysteresis can be configured either in BIOS or with fan control software to respond more slowly to temperature changes.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
this house is a bequiet fan house, tho i'm pretty behind on fan generations i have like a lot of purewings 2, theyre now on purewings 4

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I think I have finally made my decision on a new PC. I have weighed the cost savings of building my own versus a pre-built and building my own does not seem worth my time nor worth the potential RMA hassle/troubleshooting. With all that in mind, I think the best bang for my buck is the Starforge Navigator Elite.

$2,450

1720119164514.png

I do want a little more storage, but I think I am going to get an external SSD for that. Any thoughts/advice? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I think I have finally made my decision on a new PC. I have weighed the cost savings of building my own versus a pre-built and building my own does not seem worth my time nor worth the potential RMA hassle/troubleshooting. With all that in mind, I think the best bang for my buck is the Starforge Navigator Elite.

$2,450

View attachment 535409

I do want a little more storage, but I think I am going to get an external SSD for that. Any thoughts/advice? Thanks in advance!
just buy a new 4tb hd and install it yourself
14fd7ac160936a5b92cf15e12b159272.png

Crucial P3 Plus 4TB PCIe Gen4 3D NAND NVMe M.2 SSD, up to 5000MB/s - CT4000P3PSSD8

you can get a 990 for 100bucks more for if you wanted, clone it (takes like 10minutes)

i just did this w/ samsung magician for a 980 2tb to replace an old 1tb

you can make that 2tb your secondary d drive if you want or put it in an external usbc and have a really fast thumb drive (this is what i do i use it as my 2ndary backup)

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Jovec

?

$2,450

View attachment 535409

I understand your decision to go with a prebuilt. For fun I tried to replicate it but swapped a couple of parts to better variants (CL30 RAM, SS power supply, 360 LFIII AIO RGB, and Solidigm P44 Pro 2TB SSD) and ended up at $400 under the SF build. I used a $120 Antec C5 RGB case as a placeholder, but I'd look for the new C8 model. You can also save on the Win11 key too.... Starforge seems to be doing things right though.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I understand your decision to go with a prebuilt. For fun I tried to replicate it but swapped a couple of parts to better variants (CL30 RAM, SS power supply, 360 LFIII AIO RGB, and Solidigm P44 Pro 2TB SSD) and ended up at $400 under the SF build. I used a $120 Antec C5 RGB case as a placeholder, but I'd look for the new C8 model. You can also save on the Win11 key too.... Starforge seems to be doing things right though.
I did the same thing on New Egg and was around $250-$300 less if I built it myself. I also replicated the same PC as best I could with XIDAX and was +$500ish.

My issue now, is that every day I have to talk myself out of buying the 55" Odyssey ARK.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I did the same thing on New Egg and was around $250-$300 less if I built it myself. I also replicated the same PC as best I could with XIDAX and was +$500ish.

My issue now, is that every day I have to talk myself out of buying the 55" Odyssey ARK.
we'lll you'd actually save more $$$, if you used parts you actually wanted like a 4tb nvme

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Still $899 - scroll down some.

1720226960609.png

Im tempted to, but its white - if it were normal it would be fine but at the risk of not making a decent profit id end up using it and wouldnt go well with color scheme - worth a gamble to someone, at worse amazon will refund you anyways.

Last edited:

Jovec

?
I'm not even going to risk it. Every review for the seller TKF Electronics refers to clothing items and they had a history of no ships in 2022. If it was Sold by TKF, fulfilled by Amazon I'd probably risk it.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'm not even going to risk it. Every review for the seller TKF Electronics refers to clothing items and they had a history of no ships in 2022. If it was Sold by TKF, fulfilled by Amazon I'd probably risk it.
only thing i'd ever risk is amazon warehouse/amazon resale, i never go third party anymore

if you did buy 3rd party, you HAVE to call up amazon first, say your item is jacked/fucked within the 30days, and say the seller has been unresponsive, "i don't want to deal with them anymore"

then amazon will give you a refund/credit, then they'll email you the return slip

how is this different than just going on the website and clicking on a return request? you do NOT get a refund until the 3rd party oks the refund, so what happens when you return in a fucked up 4080 to 3rd party?

"oh this refund is invalid, whoops"