Desktop Computers

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
they also have the non plus for 10bucks cheaper but like the w/r are garbage (but it is the cheapest name brand 4tb nvme so far at 199)

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
My desktop is approaching 7 years old and I was looking into building another one, but the cost of graphics cards is really making me not want to do it. I have a GTX 1060 right now which is a dinosaur by today's standards. However, it only cost me $280 and it was pretty good at the time. Now it looks like a fucking average card will cost me between 2x and 3x that. What the fuck am I getting for that?

You are getting AI bullshit and frame gen that you probably don't need for the games you play.

Your best bet is to sit tight until the new Nvidia and AMD cards come out. The general consensus since AMD is bowing out of the top-end market this generation is that they are going to try to capture the mid-level market by aggressively going for the best value cards so it should put some downward price pressure on the non-high-end GPU market.

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
You can get 7800xt for $450-500, and it handles 1440p with ease. If you bought a 1060 back in the day, I’d expect that is in your wheelhouse in 2024. That’s what I got for the PC I built a few months ago, and it has been quite the upgrade to the 2060 super I had in my old PC

gak

<Gold Donor>

i.gif

Palum

what Suineg set it to
idk why anyone would be using a faggot ass intel over a ryzen anyway, you get what you deserve
Yea not that I'll upgrade most likely for another 5-6 years but at this point Intel will need a Renaissance before I consider them again.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
idk why anyone would be using a faggot ass intel over a ryzen anyway, you get what you deserve

I flop back and forth but likely going the next interation of X3D this time around. I just wish AMD would target the top end for GPU and make Nvidia sweat a little. I always feel intel pairs with Nvidia and AMD with AMD - its a skewed mindset but its rare im asked to make a build that doesnt follow that pattern.

gak

<Gold Donor>
Intel Extends Warranty of Boxed 14th & 13th Gen CPUs By Two Years In Light of Instability Issues

Intel has announced that it will be extending the warranty periods of its 14th & 13th Gen CPUs by an additional two years due to instability issues.

The instability issues affecting Intel's 14th & 13th Gen CPU seem to have no end with new reports and cases emerging on a daily basis. While the company has tried to mitigate the issues through a range of updates which include BIOS fixes, patches for the eTVB, & an upcoming microcode BIOS update that will roll out around mid of August, there's no permanent solution as Intel itself stated that there's no reversal for the chips that have already been degraded through elevated voltages.

In its official response, Intel stated that it won't issue a recall for its 14th and 13th Gen CPUs and it won't stop the sales either. However, the company did state that it committed to making sure that its customers get heightened support through its customer support service. All affected users are said to be offered a replacement chip if they are affected by this instability issue and the company has now extended the warranty period of its chips by an additional three years.

Intel's 14th & 13th Gen CPUs come with a 3-year warranty and with the 2-year extended warranty, you will now have 5 years of warranty support on your chip. It's a decent gesture from Intel and the company has also stated that all customers who are facing instability issues are supported through the exchange process. The warranty covers owners of a boxed Intel 14th & 13th Gen CPU and since the company has already revealed that chips rated at 65W & above TDPs are in the list of affected parts, all of those will be covered.

These are challenging times for Intel as it faces trust issues not only with its customers but also with its partners. We have heard recently from multiple partners and vendors that given all of the issues affecting 14th & 13th Gen CPUs, there will now be a marketing push towards AMD and its Ryzen CPUs which can affect the sales of not only existing chips but also the upcoming Intel Core Ultra 200 "Arrow Lake" Desktop parts which are expected to roll out in Q4 2024 (October). A class-action lawsuit is also in the works which we reported a while ago.

[Dec 2022] The first instances of "Out of Video Memory" issues on 13th Gen Core i9 CPUs were reported back in 2022.
[Throughout 2023] Several users have started reporting game crashes and issues in high-profile AAA titles such as Callisto Protocol and Hogwarts Legacy (among many others). Both tiles are based on Unreal Engine (released in 2023) and feature a shader compilation process at the start. There are currently thousands of such issues reported on Steam Community Forums and Reddit.
[February 2024] A post by Sebastian Castellanos brings the issue to the limelight, highlighting the "worrying trend" of stability issues affecting 14th and 13th-gen CPUs.
[February 2024] Our editor along with various other tech outlets start reporting the issue and bringing the matter on to the mainstream media. Quickly, it is pointed out that underclocking and undervolting the chips can result in better stability.
[April 2024] NVIDIA Issued a formal statement that the stability issues are not related to its GPUs but rather Intel CPUs.
[April 2024] Intel announces its investigation of the reports of instability issues affecting 13th and 14th Gen CPUs.
[April 2024] Motherboard makers quickly roll out "Baseline" power profiles in new BIOS, which lower power limits on high-end 14th & 13th Gen CPUs but also lead to significant performance drops.
[May 2024] Intel releases a statement, recommending motherboard makers to ship "Intel Default Settings" in BIOS by default rather than customized settings.
[June 2024] Intel discovers a bug within its eTVB microcode while investigating the root cause of 14th and 13th Gen Instability issues. This doesn't fix the instability problems. Board makers quickly roll out BIOS with a new microcode fix.
[July 2024] Intel denies an RMA to HardwareTimes editor who already RMA'd at least two CPUs which produced instability issues.
[July 2024] Wendell from Level1Techs & Steve Burke from GamersNexus are the first big tech media outlets on YouTube to further highlight the instability issues, diving into additional details such as OEM frustration with the matter and a possible recall.
[July 2024] GamersNexus highlights a potential "oxidation" defect being a problem with a certain batch of Intel 14th & 13th Gen CPUs that might lead to instability problems.
[July 2024] Intel says the 14th & 13th Gen Mobile CPUs are not affected by the same instability issues as the desktop CPUs.
[July 2024] Intel issues a statement confirming that they have found the root cause of the instability issues which happen to be elevated operating voltages and will be issuing a new microcode fix to its partners by mid of August
[July 2024] Intel confirmed that oxidation issues existed in a previous batch and that there's no solution for CPUs that are already degraded.
[August 2024] Law firm initiates a possible class action lawsuit against Intel CPUs facing instability issues.
[August 2024] Intel extends the warranty of its boxed 14th and 13th Gen CPUs by an additional 2 years.

With the microcode patch expected to be available around the same time frame as the launch of AMD's high-end Zen 5 CPUs, it will be interesting to see if Intel finally has a solution to the issue or if we have to wait for further updates down the road.

1.jpg

2.jpg

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Intel Extends Warranty of Boxed 14th & 13th Gen CPUs By Two Years In Light of Instability Issues

Intel has announced that it will be extending the warranty periods of its 14th & 13th Gen CPUs by an additional two years due to instability issues.

The instability issues affecting Intel's 14th & 13th Gen CPU seem to have no end with new reports and cases emerging on a daily basis. While the company has tried to mitigate the issues through a range of updates which include BIOS fixes, patches for the eTVB, & an upcoming microcode BIOS update that will roll out around mid of August, there's no permanent solution as Intel itself stated that there's no reversal for the chips that have already been degraded through elevated voltages.

In its official response, Intel stated that it won't issue a recall for its 14th and 13th Gen CPUs and it won't stop the sales either. However, the company did state that it committed to making sure that its customers get heightened support through its customer support service. All affected users are said to be offered a replacement chip if they are affected by this instability issue and the company has now extended the warranty period of its chips by an additional three years.

Intel's 14th & 13th Gen CPUs come with a 3-year warranty and with the 2-year extended warranty, you will now have 5 years of warranty support on your chip. It's a decent gesture from Intel and the company has also stated that all customers who are facing instability issues are supported through the exchange process. The warranty covers owners of a boxed Intel 14th & 13th Gen CPU and since the company has already revealed that chips rated at 65W & above TDPs are in the list of affected parts, all of those will be covered.

These are challenging times for Intel as it faces trust issues not only with its customers but also with its partners. We have heard recently from multiple partners and vendors that given all of the issues affecting 14th & 13th Gen CPUs, there will now be a marketing push towards AMD and its Ryzen CPUs which can affect the sales of not only existing chips but also the upcoming Intel Core Ultra 200 "Arrow Lake" Desktop parts which are expected to roll out in Q4 2024 (October). A class-action lawsuit is also in the works which we reported a while ago.

[Dec 2022] The first instances of "Out of Video Memory" issues on 13th Gen Core i9 CPUs were reported back in 2022.
[Throughout 2023] Several users have started reporting game crashes and issues in high-profile AAA titles such as Callisto Protocol and Hogwarts Legacy (among many others). Both tiles are based on Unreal Engine (released in 2023) and feature a shader compilation process at the start. There are currently thousands of such issues reported on Steam Community Forums and Reddit.
[February 2024] A post by Sebastian Castellanos brings the issue to the limelight, highlighting the "worrying trend" of stability issues affecting 14th and 13th-gen CPUs.
[February 2024] Our editor along with various other tech outlets start reporting the issue and bringing the matter on to the mainstream media. Quickly, it is pointed out that underclocking and undervolting the chips can result in better stability.
[April 2024] NVIDIA Issued a formal statement that the stability issues are not related to its GPUs but rather Intel CPUs.
[April 2024] Intel announces its investigation of the reports of instability issues affecting 13th and 14th Gen CPUs.
[April 2024] Motherboard makers quickly roll out "Baseline" power profiles in new BIOS, which lower power limits on high-end 14th & 13th Gen CPUs but also lead to significant performance drops.
[May 2024] Intel releases a statement, recommending motherboard makers to ship "Intel Default Settings" in BIOS by default rather than customized settings.
[June 2024] Intel discovers a bug within its eTVB microcode while investigating the root cause of 14th and 13th Gen Instability issues. This doesn't fix the instability problems. Board makers quickly roll out BIOS with a new microcode fix.
[July 2024] Intel denies an RMA to HardwareTimes editor who already RMA'd at least two CPUs which produced instability issues.
[July 2024] Wendell from Level1Techs & Steve Burke from GamersNexus are the first big tech media outlets on YouTube to further highlight the instability issues, diving into additional details such as OEM frustration with the matter and a possible recall.
[July 2024] GamersNexus highlights a potential "oxidation" defect being a problem with a certain batch of Intel 14th & 13th Gen CPUs that might lead to instability problems.
[July 2024] Intel says the 14th & 13th Gen Mobile CPUs are not affected by the same instability issues as the desktop CPUs.
[July 2024] Intel issues a statement confirming that they have found the root cause of the instability issues which happen to be elevated operating voltages and will be issuing a new microcode fix to its partners by mid of August
[July 2024] Intel confirmed that oxidation issues existed in a previous batch and that there's no solution for CPUs that are already degraded.
[August 2024] Law firm initiates a possible class action lawsuit against Intel CPUs facing instability issues.
[August 2024] Intel extends the warranty of its boxed 14th and 13th Gen CPUs by an additional 2 years.

With the microcode patch expected to be available around the same time frame as the launch of AMD's high-end Zen 5 CPUs, it will be interesting to see if Intel finally has a solution to the issue or if we have to wait for further updates down the road.

View attachment 539360
View attachment 539362

Tech Jesus or The Brand Destroyer?

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
I passed on intel this build as the 7800X3D was the sweet spot for gaming. Boy am I glad I dodged that bullet. With the market loss today & them announcing they were cutting dividends, things are not looking too good for the blue team. They need another Core 2 leap.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
But the big one is obviously them cutting the budget to buy fruit for the office.

Jovec

?
Ryzen 9000 seems decent from the Level 1 review in terms of architecture improvements, but that doesn't really translate to the gaming side unless you increase the power limits.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Furry

BROWN NOW
<Gold Donor>
Bros my tower is 20 years old and I’m upgrading to the newest my graphics card, probably to the best possible next generation. Since my current tower can’t fit the monsters that exist now, anyone got any good tower recommendations for something that fits a 4080 with room to spare. Looks and price are completely unimportant. Space for an unreasonable amount of hard drives a big plus.

Jovec

?
Bros my tower is 20 years old and I’m upgrading to the newest my graphics card, probably to the best possible next generation. Since my current tower can’t fit the monsters that exist now, anyone got any good tower recommendations for something that fits a 4080 with room to spare. Looks and price are completely unimportant. Space for an unreasonable amount of hard drives a big plus.

Fractal Torrent (or Torrent XL) is still king if air cooling, but most cases are not providing a lot of 3.5" drive cages anymore (0, 2, and 4 are most common). How many drives do you need to install? I've linked my Define 7 XL here before - plenty of room for internals and something like 16 3.5" drive spaces by using the (not included) mounts. The Fractal Node 804 is another popular (and cheaper) 8 drive option and what I currently use for my NAS, but I've soured on it somewhat over the years. Silverstone is another brand I'd look at for NAS-like cases.

Last edited:

Furry

BROWN NOW
<Gold Donor>
Fractal Torrent (or Torrent XL) is still king if air cooling, but most cases are not providing a lot of 3.5" drive cages anymore (0, 2, and 4 are most common). How many drives do you need to install? I've linked my Define 7 XL here before - plenty of room for internals and something like 16 3.5" drive spaces by using the (not included) mounts. Silverstone is another brand I'd look at for NAS-like cases.
I almost always have water cooling, I like how quiet it is. I probably should eliminate my 3.5s. I think I have about 15 drives atm? Most are 2.5s/nvme, but around 6 are 3.5s. I probably should cull the older ones, but I also probably won’t.

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I almost always have water cooling, I like how quiet it is. I probably should eliminate my 3.5s. I think I have about 15 drives atm? Most are 2.5s/nvme, but around 6 are 3.5s. I probably should cull the older ones, but I also probably won’t.
If cost doesn't really matter, you could always go with a beefy NAS for your storage.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Ryzen 9000 seems decent from the Level 1 review in terms of architecture improvements, but that doesn't really translate to the gaming side unless you increase the power limits.
Yeah zero reason to not get a 7800X3d and almost no reason to upgrade from a 5800X3d.

9700X3d should be very much worth it though.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user