Desktop Computers

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I almost always have water cooling, I like how quiet it is. I probably should eliminate my 3.5s. I think I have about 15 drives atm? Most are 2.5s/nvme, but around 6 are 3.5s. I probably should cull the older ones, but I also probably won’t.
if you have just a bunch of random disks, and you have no plans to have a nas, you should just consolidate your junk 3.5s

i mean are they like 1.5, 2tbs? a blue wd 16tb is less than 300

Furry

BROWN NOW
<Gold Donor>
if you have just a bunch of random disks, and you have no plans to have a nas, you should just consolidate your junk 3.5s

i mean are they like 1.5, 2tbs? a blue wd 16tb is less than 300
I have an IDE USB controller wired into my case to run HDs that have worked fine since the early 90s to give you an idea.

Yea, I know I should dump them. They're all backed up even. There's absolutely no logic behind it whatsoever, I just like having them. I think I regret trashing the ones I had from the 80s.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I have an IDE USB controller wired into my case to run HDs that have worked fine since the early 90s to give you an idea.

Yea, I know I should dump them. They're all backed up even. There's absolutely no logic behind it whatsoever, I just like having them. I think I regret trashing the ones I had from the 80s.
yea, your nostalgia is limiting your computer options, where literally a 500gb microsd could replace your drives and is actually faster

Furry

BROWN NOW
<Gold Donor>
yea, your nostalgia is limiting your computer options, where literally a 500gb microsd could replace your drives and is actually faster
No, my case is limiting my computer options. Just cause I have ancient crappy drives, doesn't mean I don't also have top end NVMEs also.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
No, my case is limiting my computer options.
BECAUSE you would like it to be a modern case w/ multiple 3.5 bays, modern cases are 2, 3.5bays at most and multiple 2.5 sleds

heck modern mbs have at least 2 nvme and 3 is getting common and a really decent 4tb nvme could be had for 200

i mean, you don't even say how many 3.5s you want to really have, i was gonna recommend a 7000d but even that is 6, 3.5bays

Furry

BROWN NOW
<Gold Donor>
BECAUSE you would like it to be a modern case w/ multiple 3.5 bays, modern cases are 2, 3.5bays at most and multiple 2.5 sleds

heck modern mbs have at least 2 nvme and 3 is getting common and a really decent 4tb nvme could be had for 200

i mean, you don't even say how many 3.5s you want to really have, i was gonna recommend a 7000d but even that is 6, 3.5bays
Looks a tad on the small side, but it might do the job. Thanks.

Kiki

Log Wizard
I always bought giant soho cases for that. My PC was twice the size of anyone elses and it was hilarious.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I need a USB Hub for my new PC.

I have never had on before, should I get one that has its own power supply?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

if youre just connecting a mouse and small shit, no

something like external hd, then yes (travel hd, most external hd's also come w/ their own bricks)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jovec

?
Fractal_Design_Define_7_Define_7_XL_Feature_Visuals_StorageLayout.0001-2160x1528.jpg

• 3Like
  • 2Mother of God
Reactions: 4 users

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Really though just get a NAS for all the HDD's. And honestly, if they are really that old you're just asking for that shit to fail, so you should be getting new drives and putting them in some raid configuration that can account for drives failing.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Really though just get a NAS for all the HDD's. And honestly, if they are really that old you're just asking for that shit to fail, so you should be getting new drives and putting them in some raid configuration that can account for drives failing.
We know that. He knows that. Yet he regrets not having held on to even older shit. He wants us to feed his delusion, not provide a proper solution.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xexx

Vyemm Raider

How many RGB CPU HDD Spectron accelerators with revolving duckkey key switches will you be powering? Moar RGB will increase your reaction speed, networth, e-dicksize, and shoe size.

No but really i use a powered due to my usb device overload and rgb devices.

Jovec

?
Is that 16 drives? I'd have to think about how i'd arrange a pool for those. Probably 2 * 8 drive raid z2.
16 3.5" bays with 2 2.5" bays behind the mobo tray. Case only comes with the 4 bays located in the bottom section - the 12 vertical stacked bays require buying the HDD tray kits as these are not included. Case comes with panel options for the top which can be either sound-dampening or air-flow. The front is a door that can be opened for airflow (I've removed mine) or closed for noise. Side panel can either be glass or sound-dampening.

Case is the Define 7 XL I previously mentioned. There is a pic of my 7 XL somewhere in this thread with a NH-D15 and 6950XT GPU that shows a sense of scale.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just get a server case or better yet a rackmount if you're only doing it for nerd cred, used server hardware isn't all that expensive. Getting rid of 15 HDDs would probably pay for itself within short order on power cost alone. Around 3 watt per drive x 15 is 45W in HDD power consumption alone. If you have 15 drives you're probably also the type that lets the system run 24/7 so that 45 Watts comes to around 400kWh a year. Might be over $100 depending on your local energy rates. I don't even want to imagine the noise.

1723287114701.png