Desktop Computers

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Just get a server case or better yet a rackmount if you're only doing it for nerd cred, used server hardware isn't all that expensive. Getting rid of 15 HDDs would probably pay for itself within short order on power cost alone. Around 3 watt per drive x 15 is 45W in HDD power consumption alone. If you have 15 drives you're probably also the type that lets the system run 24/7 so that 45 Watts comes to around 400kWh a year. Might be over $100 depending on your local energy rates. I don't even want to imagine the noise.

View attachment 540604

I wonder if i could rig this to attach under one of my karlby countertops - i could make a bracket or brace to hold something like this up -

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i remember seeing a nice 3d printed hdd cage, gave nice consideration to airflow, etc
7a8cb2247f3e12e253442f6bbca6c57c.png

considering i bought bequiet hdd cages for 10bucks for just 1 drive, it's a steal

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I havent purchased a platter drive in some time. I think it hasnt been done since i picked up my Synology 3-4 years ago. I utilize the synology for home but i also have an Ultra.cc account for a second plex server that the fam and friends can all utilize. Unfortunately upload in my area caps at 20mb. I'm sure i could request better but till the other portion of the biz needs higher it will stay as it is with dual plex servers.

Fucker

Log Wizard
My understanding is that the system had to have been breached first anyway with root/physical/bios update access.
Need physical access and root password. It's a bug that never will be exploited.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Reminds me of all the leaks for spy tools covering 100 devices they could crack, yet all listed Step 1 as "insert USB". If they are in the god damn room and knew exactly what devices are there ahead of time that is the LEAST of your worries.

• 1Truth!

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i've been anti aio for awhile, however i'm very flexible when my wife complains the fans spin up when gaming, so yea back to trying an aio again.

i couldn't decide between the bequiet pureloop2 or the arctic 3, i settled on the artic3 cuz it has offset mounting and it's a x3d i'm cooling, even tho i'm putting it in a case full of bequiet fans, oh well.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Need physical access and root password. It's a bug that never will be exploited.

You need root, but you don't need physical access. Plenty of ways to get root on a computer that don't require physical access, especially in Windows - privilege escalation or exploiting a program that already has root like an AV or anti-cheat software.

Yes, it is an "add-on" attack in the sense that the attacker already needs pretty deep level access on the machine, and your average low-level script kiddie isn't going to target any random individual with it, but it's a perfect tool for a state-level APT, or maybe a higher-end cybercrime group that wants to go after a big fish given how persistently it allows them to set up on a machine.

• 1Moron

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So I'll be looking to upgrade to a new system this Christmas to prepare for MH Wilds, and given the apparent issues with Intel CPU's atm, what would be a good cpu / gpu combination for 1440p gaming (monitor is still great).... but I do have the option of using a 42" LG OLED if I wanted 4k.

My current 3060 is running everything I want to play perfectly, but I have doubts it will run Wilds well at all. Will be looking at pre-built systems.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So I'll be looking to upgrade to a new system this Christmas to prepare for MH Wilds, and given the apparent issues with Intel CPU's atm, what would be a good cpu / gpu combination for 1440p gaming (monitor is still great).... but I do have the option of using a 42" LG OLED if I wanted 4k.

My current 3060 is running everything I want to play perfectly, but I have doubts it will run Wilds well at all. Will be looking at pre-built systems.
anything x3d

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Alright, thanks.
anything you get, you will see gains, of course you'll gain more if it's x3d, and since monster hunter games are cpu heavy, you'll reap the gains of x3d

tbh you could probably squeak by on your 3060, if you want to lobotomize some parts like case, psu, ssd