Desktop Computers

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
So I'll be looking to upgrade to a new system this Christmas to prepare for MH Wilds, and given the apparent issues with Intel CPU's atm, what would be a good cpu / gpu combination for 1440p gaming (monitor is still great).... but I do have the option of using a 42" LG OLED if I wanted 4k.

My current 3060 is running everything I want to play perfectly, but I have doubts it will run Wilds well at all. Will be looking at pre-built systems.

As mentioned 7800X3D is the sweet spot and best value as well. 7900XTX is ideal on cost, and you can find them as low as $725 or so aftermarket.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
As mentioned 7800X3D is the sweet spot and best value as well. 7900XTX is ideal on cost, and you can find them as low as $725 or so aftermarket.
That's my current setup and I regret nothing. I *may* get a 9 series x3D if they show significant gains on this 7800, but it would have to be 40% or more.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I was thinking about if it'd be easy to upgrade from my i7-12700k with just a new mobo and chip but looks like I'd need new RAM too (DDR4 at the moment). Maybe I just need to wipe everything and reinstall before Monster Hunter comes out. Not too worried about my 3080 but it feels like there are other lingering issues going on behind the scenes. Honestly, I haven't even touched the computer in probably 6 months.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Seems MSI released a new BIOS for my X670 mobo, says it has AGESA ComboPI 1.2.0.0a Patch A updated. I cannot tell if this fixes 'Sinkhole' or not, anyone know? Generally don't like updating BIOS on a stable PC.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I’m still not super happy with my 4090. It runs hot and the fan is loud as shit.

Should I look at an alternative or get serious about debugging this thing?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I’m still not super happy with my 4090. It runs hot and the fan is loud as shit.

Part of a prebuilt? #1 suspect in a prebuilt is poor airflow, as they lean towards cases that are form over function. Next step would be either checking the card's cooling solution and improving it with new thermal paste/pads and tweaking fan curves. After that you're looking at undervolting it, which can improve thermals and power efficiency for a small performance loss.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>

Water cool it if its too loud, but its always gonna put out the heat it does. 4080 > 4090 is a great case of having to significantly more(power in this case) for that last bit of extra performance.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Part of a prebuilt? #1 suspect in a prebuilt is poor airflow, as they lean towards cases that are form over function. Next step would be either checking the card's cooling solution and improving it with new thermal paste/pads and tweaking fan curves. After that you're looking at undervolting it, which can improve thermals and power efficiency for a small performance loss.
i think Tmac Tmac had some halfsies prebuilt/i build or something, we'll never know b/c search is infinitely broken

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
i think Tmac Tmac had some halfsies prebuilt/i build or something, we'll never know b/c search is infinitely broken

I got all the parts from MicroCenter and built it with my man paws.

For the first week, it was quiet as a mouse and ever since then it’s been a dull roar.

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I got all the parts from MicroCenter and built it with my man paws.

For the first week, it was quiet as a mouse and ever since then it’s been a dull roar.
First thought would be, is the fan actually louder than it should be? or is it just running faster than necessary? I've had overzealous fan controllers in the past that didn't like to stop running once they ramp up.
(or do you maybe have cryptomining malware juicing your card 24/7 lol)

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
First thought would be, is the fan actually louder than it should be? or is it just running faster than necessary? I've had overzealous fan controllers in the past that didn't like to stop running once they ramp up.
(or do you maybe have cryptomining malware juicing your card 24/7 lol)

Haven’t mined on this card.

I tried using some fan controls to adjust it, but they don’t seem to give me access to the video card. In fact I can’t really seem to control any of my fans.

There was one controller I downloaded off GitHub and setup, but it didn’t change any of the speeds. Or maybe it adjusted a couple of the case fans, but not the 4090 fans.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
you shoul
Haven’t mined on this card.

I tried using some fan controls to adjust it, but they don’t seem to give me access to the video card. In fact I can’t really seem to control any of my fans.

There was one controller I downloaded off GitHub and setup, but it didn’t change any of the speeds. Or maybe it adjusted a couple of the case fans, but not the 4090 fans.
What is the make?

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Corsair 5000D AF TG MT ATX case and ASUS ROG STRIX RTX4090 O24G

1724531074167.png

1724531102616.png

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
youre not vertically mounting the 4090 are you? that 4090 uses the 3 fans where the middle fan spins opposite the 2 outer fans, causes airflow issues in tight case (if vertically mounted and fans are against side of case)

No it’s mounted normally.

Air is pulling in the front, in the back, and out the top radiator fans.