Desktop Computers

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I was just browsing around and this caught my eye. 15 bays, it's just what my growing system needs. Does anyone have any experience with the brand etc

edit: what is this the amazon embed media does not work? Had to ditch https:// and use " "

"www.amazon.com/Butch-Harold-Istarusa-Stylish-Hotswap/dp/B005PAIQPQ"

We've been using that brand for years, the first ones were fucking garbage but sense then they have just all around gotten better over time..

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
What would be the best way to stream a PC desktop etc... display at 4k quality to a TV in another room? It has screen mirroring and is an android tv but it's limited to 1080p with the mirroring. Do the 4k smart devices for TV's enable this or is it all through their ecosystem?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I once used some cat5 hdmi extenders. It wasn’t really “streaming” just a really long video out to my tv. Which also wasn’t 4K at the time. But it was cheaper than finding 100’ HDMI cable.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Second using a 4k HDMI extender over cat5. If you have cat5 drops in your house you can just run it through the main patch panel.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Any trouble getting 4k to work @ 60 Hz ?
The trouble would be buying a good 4k HDMI extender. They're not cheap.

I'm not an AV engineer but this is what our engineers use for high end conference room install projects:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HFHH924

• 1Like

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
The trouble would be buying a good 4k HDMI extender. They're not cheap.

I'm not an AV engineer but this is what our engineers use for high end conference room install projects:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HFHH924
Awesome, thx. Thats not so bad price wise considring how much I wasted on various hdmi/dp dongles and cables last time I needed a couple of machines move into closets. Next reno I will rewire rooms I need for both network and video sockets.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I'm trying to avoid a cabled solution. It has to be streamed. (trying to move my second pc out of the bedroom but keep the tv being run off windows instead of android)

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I'm trying to avoid a cabled solution. It has to be streamed. (trying to move my second pc out of the bedroom but keep the tv being run off windows instead of android)
Does the second PC have a modern WiFi adapter in it? This will work. Plug it into the TV and then press Win+P on the Windows device and select this as a wireless display, it'll project to that display as if it was an additional monitor.

There's an app for Xbox One that does the same thing, not very intuitive though.

https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Wireless-Display-Adapter-v1/dp/B00J9C2JDG/

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Does the second PC have a modern WiFi adapter in it? This will work. Plug it into the TV and then press Win+P on the Windows device and select this as a wireless display, it'll project to that display as if it was an additional monitor.

There's an app for Xbox One that does the same thing, not very intuitive though.

Thanks, this sort of device looks about right.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

Wait, that might not do 4k.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Maybe our company is just cheap (it is) but any of the wireless streaming stuff we’ve had in conference rooms have been fine for regular desktop apps but as soon as video streaming is introduced it falls apart and does like 10 fps. Which never made sense to me cause things like Chromecast or the Apple Cast thing works just fine at the house.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Maybe our company is just cheap (it is) but any of the wireless streaming stuff we’ve had in conference rooms have been fine for regular desktop apps but as soon as video streaming is introduced it falls apart and does like 10 fps. Which never made sense to me cause things like Chromecast or the Apple Cast thing works just fine at the house.
Yeah there's a reason companies will spend a lot on Cisco and/or Crestron conferencing installs and expensive HDMI extenders, wireless is just shit.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Yeah there's a reason companies will spend a lot on Crestron installs and expensive HDMI extenders, wireless is just shit.

People laugh when I tell them wireless sucks ass and they’re like “wait aren’t you a wireless engineer?” Yeah, so believe me!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Wake Up Man
<Banned>

Why do you need Windows for the TV?

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Why do you need Windows for the TV?

Because android apps and other smart solutions are relatively shit, and I want access to a full browser for twitch/youtube and full access to my various saved media, and access to whatever else I might want but wouldn't be able to do (easily or at all) outside of a full OS. It's how I have it setup now, but I'd like to move the actual PC out to be with my main and work systems.