Desktop Computers

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
The 5500 seems to be all over the place, 150-260 cheaper at 8 gigs. Thoughts on that one?
What I am saying and why my asessment and HARD recommendation to avoid AMD cards atm because a great many of AMD gfx cards are simply BROKEN. Yep, just broken/flawed and disfunctional hardware. Across the BROAD spectrum of performance/models over the last few generations of cards, a significant percentage of their cards is just shit and broken!

If AMD various cards perforances (ie the 5500 you ask about) could be taken at face value, and cards had a reasonable guarantee to work out of the box and you know, actually WORK, then it might be worthwhile considering the price performance ratio etc.... So if you get a working card, great, you get the price/performance/worth you paid for. But because of (again, my sour bitchy my guess based on so many broken cards) shitty engineering/faulty hardware design and BIOS/driver problems, the cards often do not WORK properly at ALL: I get screen the same blanking and HDMI/DVI disconnect issues from screens @ 4k until you do a cold boot.

So again, unless you want to play hardware roulette I would say its not even worth getting into the minutae, do not even bother looking at face/advertised value and performance. Thankfully there are decent alternatives, albeit a little more expensive, but you get what you pay for atm.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I used part picker late last night and didnt realize how powerful some of the parts I used in my office computer in 2011 are still valuable today.

Some of that is due to people needing replacement parts for older machines that are still in use. Whatever they are doing may need a specific hardware configuration.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I wonder how much I could sell my 1080 for.

Probably worth just waiting for whatever 30X0 cards come out.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I wonder how much I could sell my 1080 for.

Probably worth just waiting for whatever 30X0 cards come out.

Yea same boat. Had a 980ti warranty replaced by a 1080 and it's just a holding pattern for now waiting for whatever new series to launch.

Gains from going from a 1080 > 2080 or whatever just aren't worth the pricetag.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yea same boat. Had a 980ti warranty replaced by a 1080 and it's just a holding pattern for now waiting for whatever new series to launch.

Gains from going from a 1080 > 2080 or whatever just aren't worth the pricetag.
My 1080 got replaced by a 2070 RMA which was DOA and then they sent me another 1080 the second time.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I could've kept my 1070 but fuck it. Figure the 2070 super is a decent upgrade. Hopefully 3000 series will be cheaper since the mining craze died down

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I want spiffy ray tracing stuff, but like most I'm holding onto my 1080ti until the 3000 series hits.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
The only case I would want a AMD card is in a dedicated Hackintosh machine. Outside of that? Hell No.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
In person this thing is way more intimidating than I thought
IMG_20200422_180233.jpg

• 6Worf
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 6 users

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Didn't get the black version :wompwomp:

It's hard to get across how big and heavy those things are. They make me uncomfortable, I'd rather just water cool.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Is it necessary or cool, will it get that hot? I'm legit asking as I don't OC much and my cooler master 212 has always donr a fine job?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Didn't get the black version :wompwomp:

It's hard to get across how big and heavy those things are. They make me uncomfortable, I'd rather just water cool.
I actually like weird stuff like the brown / beige fans and chrome towers. Actually had to remove one of the fans for now because I'm not clearing the RAM. Not sure if removing my RAM heat spreaders will fix that or if there's another option