Desktop Computers

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
At one point I was going to do custom water-cooling in it and never got around to it. Next I was going to move my NAS drives inside it (11 3.5" drives can be mounted behind the front intake fans where you might put a rad/res) and run my NAS as a VM, but I never got around to that either.

That's a DVD drive. I still need one for work occasionally.
Ive got an external read/write DVD drive so I get it. I like to keep smaller cases and havent found a big difference in airflow (usually).

As I was doing my research on newer cases, what put a little bug of concern in my ear was that I kept seeing cases with the possibility to add two power supply units. Granted theyre getting smaller and smaller, thankfully (cause theyre fkn ugly) - but God help us if someone has the bright idea to bring SLI/Crossfire back, or worse - slam two cards together like the older stuff and call it a single card. But no.. Im insane, they wouldn't do that.

I ordered the case off of B&H yesterday and.. for whatever reason, Truist threw an absolute fit for what ended up being about a $370 charge. They didnt say shit when I spent $2100 on Amazon a couple months ago. But a few hundred dollars somewhere else? DENY, TEXT ALERT, CALL AND ASK YOUR NAME? IF NOT YOU - WE WILL FIND YOU AND WE WILL KILL YOU. Like Truist thought B&H was the most fraudulent shit ever and I just dont get that. lol

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Ive got an external read/write DVD drive so I get it. I like to keep smaller cases and havent found a big difference in airflow (usually).

As I was doing my research on newer cases, what put a little bug of concern in my ear was that I kept seeing cases with the possibility to add two power supply units. Granted theyre getting smaller and smaller, thankfully (cause theyre fkn ugly) - but God help us if someone has the bright idea to bring SLI/Crossfire back, or worse - slam two cards together like the older stuff and call it a single card. But no.. Im insane, they wouldn't do that.

I ordered the case off of B&H yesterday and.. for whatever reason, Truist threw an absolute fit for what ended up being about a $370 charge. They didnt say shit when I spent $2100 on Amazon a couple months ago. But a few hundred dollars somewhere else? DENY, TEXT ALERT, CALL AND ASK YOUR NAME? IF NOT YOU - WE WILL FIND YOU AND WE WILL KILL YOU. Like Truist thought B&H was the most fraudulent shit ever and I just dont get that. lol
b&h is based in nyc, probably looked like a local charge

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Looking for an adult L-style PC desk. Will be in middle of the room, facing doorway, so cable management or the ability to hide them a must. Any suggestions?
I have this one and love it. It's HUGE though so make sure you have the space.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
I have this one and love it. It's HUGE though so make sure you have the space.

Sturdy? Looks solid, but not chinsy? Good wire management? I see the one grommet.

thanks man!

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Sturdy? Looks solid, but not chinsy? Good wire management? I see the one grommet.

thanks man!
extremely solid, this is a commercial desk so the top is 1-1/4" thick. There are 3 grommets total. I mounted IKEA wire baskets under it for wire management. Currently have 2 32" and one 34" ultrawide monitors , and a lian li XL case on it with room to spare.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
extremely solid, this is a commercial desk so the top is 1-1/4" thick. There are 3 grommets total. I mounted IKEA wire baskets under it for wire management. Currently have 2 32" and one 34" ultrawide monitors , and a lian li XL case on it with room to spare.
Sold!

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Meh not bad but you’d have been better off not getting strix and instead getting 13900k, faster ram, and whatever else was corner cut to get that gpu. Also if you’re not pushing a 4k monitor you’d have been better off with a 7900xtx at 1080 or 1440p.

I went from strix to xtx and at 1440p I have no differences. Keep in mind I haven’t read beyond this page either and I won’t till after GOG movie.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Nope. It's just a 12v high power cable that plugs directly in to 2 of the standard PCIE power plugs on the PSU. No fucking with adapter cables that way.

71FUUedQLXL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Sounds a lot like wrong psu, if you’re dropping loads then go all out. That damn gpu, sigh…a master or the $1699whateverthefuck would yield you within 1% anyways and….yeah

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Meh not bad but you’d have been better off not getting strix and instead getting 13900k, faster ram, and whatever else was corner cut to get that gpu. Also if you’re not pushing a 4k monitor you’d have been better off with a 7900xtx at 1080 or 1440p.

I went from strix to xtx and at 1440p I have no differences. Keep in mind I haven’t read beyond this page either and I won’t till after GOG movie.

I didn’t sacrifice anything for the card. I just got what they had available.

Daidraco

Needed to reseat my CPU after swapping cases, but I couldnt find any thermal paste. So I ordered another thing of it for next day delivery off of Amazon. Im thinking USPS will leave it in my mailbox, so color me confused when I see the postman driving up my driveway. Imagine this - you open the door to get a large package, about the size of a shoe box, open it up to see all this clear bubble wrap and at the very bottom is one small zip lock bag with a single tube of thermal paste in it. No bigger than my pinky.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Needed to reseat my CPU after swapping cases, but I couldnt find any thermal paste. So I ordered another thing of it for next day delivery off of Amazon. Im thinking USPS will leave it in my mailbox, so color me confused when I see the postman driving up my driveway. Imagine this - you open the door to get a large package, about the size of a shoe box, open it up to see all this clear bubble wrap and at the very bottom is one small zip lock bag with a single tube of thermal paste in it. No bigger than my pinky.
yea i got my mx6 in a box too

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
some of the stuff we receive from Amazon boggles the mind with the packaging. How do they make money sending a $4 item in a monster box via UPS?

• 1Like

Daidraco

some of the stuff we receive from Amazon boggles the mind with the packaging. How do they make money sending a $4 item in a monster box via UPS?
A flat rate box around the same size using ground/first class costs ~10 bucks. Ive been using AS-5 for .. something like a decade, and still dont see the big deal over more expensive paste - so ya, 4 bucks. Even heavily subsidized by the gub'ment, I still have to agree with you. There is no way they made even one red cent off that, lol.

• 1Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Amazon is a vertical monopoly in the making. They own their own shipping for the majority of the transit, so their cost per unit is not going to be comparable to UPS/FedEx/USPS.

Daidraco

Amazon is a vertical monopoly in the making. They own their own shipping for the majority of the transit, so their cost per unit is not going to be comparable to UPS/FedEx/USPS.
The gas cost alone in their vehicles wouldnt cover the cost of shipping that tube of thermal paste. At least not out to my house. Im sure they'll make it up somewhere else, but my sole point was that they could have just mailed it to me in an envelope or something at a fraction of the cost with the rest of my bulk mail.

Dont get me started on Amazon VS USPS - Theyve taken a major shit on the USPS system and its had to accommodate them every step of the way. They are bound by regulation not to make a profit, and the goal is to just break even. So there is no surprise that a corporation is taking advantage of them.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The gas cost alone in their vehicles wouldnt cover the cost of shipping that tube of thermal paste. At least not out to my house.
Unless you live in absolute nowhere, they're already going past everyone's house every day anyway. Once you're at that scale, things change dramatically.

Daidraco

Unless you live in absolute nowhere, they're already going past everyone's house every day anyway. Once you're at that scale, things change dramatically.
Im sure they'll make it up somewhere else
My friends a postmaster and I hear about this shit all the time. Cant have a beer with him without hearing how Amazon is fucking the USPS. I live on the edge of the county, on a peninsula, so ya. It is a bit into BFE - but not extreme. Closest post office is a satellite, and the post office that handles the parcels for the area is about 35 minutes away. So ya, the cost is still stupid.

Speaking of, and you would probably know - is there a good guide on water cooling for a beginner that you've came across? Guide/video combo would be perfect.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
The gas cost alone in their vehicles wouldnt cover the cost of shipping that tube of thermal paste. At least not out to my house. Im sure they'll make it up somewhere else, but my sole point was that they could have just mailed it to me in an envelope or something at a fraction of the cost with the rest of my bulk mail.

Dont get me started on Amazon VS USPS - Theyve taken a major shit on the USPS system and its had to accommodate them every step of the way. They are bound by regulation not to make a profit, and the goal is to just break even. So there is no surprise that a corporation is taking advantage of them.
Wasn't it Bush Jr who rammed the USPS long and hard with that shit? I know it was the Rs who fucked them sideways on the pension bullshit, but not sure if that was when the Amazon stuff went down, or if it was all different administrations who did all that. To be fair, FedEx and UPS both do the same thing to the USPS.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Wasn't it Bush Jr who rammed the USPS long and hard with that shit? I know it was the Rs who fucked them sideways on the pension bullshit, but not sure if that was when the Amazon stuff went down, or if it was all different administrations who did all that. To be fair, FedEx and UPS both do the same thing to the USPS.
Ive heard it goes all the way back to Clinton when he was selling the entire middle class off to foreign countries. But I mostly remember it being talked about starting with Big W and again with Obama. So its definitely bipartisan, as it seems like they just want to kill the USPS off and let these private companies have it all.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Ive heard it goes all the way back to Clinton when he was selling the entire middle class off to foreign countries. But I mostly remember it being talked about starting with Big W and again with Obama. So its definitely bipartisan, as it seems like they just want to kill the USPS off and let these private companies have it all.
Oh, they definitely want to get rid of it. Unfortunately that pesky Constitution says the feds have to keep it alive.