Diablo 4 / IV / IIII / Fore / Cope / Seethe

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
So I really enjoyed Grim Dawn, but that was years ago. Picked up Last Epoch a few months ago (whenever the multiplayer patch hit) and really enjoyed it until end game. And then I just couldn't force myself to log in anymore.

It sounds like this one will be similar, where it's fun to level up, but the thought of end game and/or rolling another class is excruciating.

We're not even a week in and I'm seeing lots of posts reflecting that it was fun for a bit, but it wore off super fast.

And the difference (I know you all don't care about money) is this one is double the price of those.

I appreciate all the feedback, even if it looks like whining or whatever to some of you. I'm a very discerning customer. And if I'm wrong, please keep giving me examples of why.

I mean, it depends on several other factors. Are you currently playing something you enjoy? Then there's no rush to get D4. If you have a backlog of games to play, then it makes absolute sense to wait until the game gets discounted down the road.

Also, what type of player are you? I think the power gamers are the ones that burn out the fastest, so if that's your playstyle, then yeah, maybe stay away. If you are more an explorer type like myself, then the games is going to last months before it feels old.

*You* were the one that stated before money wasn't an issue. Certainly it's an issue for most people. Again, I understand where you are coming from, I can readily afford all these games, but I rarely buy any. This the the 3rd game I've bought for my PS5 and I've had the PS5 since it came out. I would say that's discerning as well. I have not regretted any of my purchases (the other 2 being Dark Souls and Elden Ring).

This game shines as an ARPG, a niche where I feel is sorely lacking. What's the best out there? PoE? D2? Anything that's been released in the past 5 years? So as an ARPG, I think it's very good, and if that's a genre you enjoy, then you should like this game.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
This is the part where some shitlord comes in and says "welcome to ARPGs."

Anyway, I appreciate the feedback from you and Aladain (and Voldeth in discord). I was very much waffling on it but I wanted to give people time to give opinions that aren't new game smell. And it sounds like it's really going to be a play for a week and forget about it forever type of game.

What are you even upset about? Grinding mobs for loot and repetitive dungeons? Because you play BDO, where you don't even do dungeons, you pick one little circle in a zone and grind it for 5000 hours without the bonus of finding cool loot, using the same small skill rotation over and over..... just like any and every arpg...

• 1Moron
Reactions: 1 user

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Wait... the game has no procedural generation at all? Or is that just the world map/dungeons and there's an end game thing?

What the fuck are they thinking?

Why the fuck are you still in this thread posting stupid shit? Haven't been able to muster up the stomach to put another 80 hours into that amazing Zelda game?

• 1Moron
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Gutterflesh

Parody Account
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I suspect the cash shop is going to get retarded but other than that I’m enjoying D4 for what it is.

Like most games these days I’ll eventually get bored but I can see D4 being an entertaining distraction for some time given how easy it is to jump right in with little preparation.

I tried getting back into WoW but I just don’t have the time or the emotional energy required to play those types of games anymore.
danny glover too old for this shit GIF

• 5Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I will be honest, I think you were just waiting for enough people to tell you not to buy it, because peer pressure or fomo was starting to inch its way in.
That's a lot of what this thread is. A bunch of virtue signaling cunts getting upset that they aren't seeing more negative comments/feedback so they can "justify" their moral stand.

"STOP HAVING FUN GUYS! Where's the more negative comments?! IS THIS EVEN A SITE WHERE I CAN GET HONEST FEEDBACK ANYMORE!?! I need to be able to walk around like a smug retard because of how invested into my principles and ego I am!!"
I sometimes get the feeling that people who race to the endpoint are the same ones that burnout quicker and more likely to "quit" the game, coming back to repeat the same cycle, versus someone like me who plays slowly but consistently throughout.
I find it hilarious that many of those bitching the most about "sameness", "burnout", "lol this game only lasts like a week, tops" are somehow the same guys who are on Discord or B.Net 12+ hours/day. So weird...
What are you even upset about? Grinding mobs for loot and repetitive dungeons? Because you play BDO, where you don't even do dungeons, you pick one little circle in a zone and grind it for 5000 hours without the bonus of finding cool loot, using the same small skill rotation over and over..... just like any and every arpg...
Yeah, I don't know how anyone can enjoy BDO and somehow not also enjoy the shit out of the ARPG genre. Holy fuck, half the reason I love BDO so much is precisely because it's so ARPG-like.

• 5Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Doing yourself a disservice if you're just ESC out of dialogue for the side quests. Been doing them (since theyre better than dungeon completions alone) and I really wish I could rewind on a few to see what started the quest chain. A few of them have really nailed the "This world is fucked up and there are devils walking among us" kind of vibe.

• 6Like

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Eh, I started skipping everything when I decided to leave fractured peaks and go through the story. It's all just the same super cringe nonsense we've had for so many years now. White people bad, anything religious bad except for voodoo and witchcraft shit, colored people and white females good even if they do fucked up shit because justice.

This isn't a dig solely at blizzard/d4 either, it's everything for the past 10+ years whether its movies, video games, tv shows, anything. Story isn't why I play arpgs tho and I wasn't expecting anything better to begin with.

• 1Salty
  • 1Hodjing
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Looks like PLing is just the normal way. Go to WT2, invite a friend, they clear capstone for you, then go to wt3 and can clear that capstone, then go to that dungeon everyone uses to level and have them clear it with a full party. 1-50 in probably 30 minutes. And you just sit at entrance. Even after 50 could probably can get some exp. And you can put all the gear on at 45 from them.

This is assuming you did campaign once already.

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
But longer time to do what? Finish a game that's designed never to be finished? Reach the end game? Isn't the main purpose to have fun, and people will have different definitions of what fun is?

For example, I'm playing coop right now with my girlfriend. She cannot pass up a chest without opening it. She likes to break everything. She wants to check every-item-she-picks-up to see if it's an upgrade. She loves it when her paper doll changes looks and she likes the outfit. She has to warp back to town to sell/salvage 3x for every one time I have to.

She's having a blast, and she almost never plays video games. I'm having a blast because she's having a blast, even though it's slow going.

On my other character, the one I play solo, I'm having fun just doing things at my pace. I don't group, so yes, I'm behind the curve of almost all of you. But so fucking what? Is there some sort of race I'm not aware of? I have zero interest in Ladder from a competitive standpoint when it releases. I'll get to end game a lot later for sure, but I'm having fun with the journey to that point. I sometimes get the feeling that people who race to the endpoint are the same ones that burnout quicker and more likely to "quit" the game, coming back to repeat the same cycle, versus someone like me who plays slowly but consistently throughout.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this and I don't believe anyone is saying that there is, albeit the thread has been going quicker than I've been following. It sounds like you're having a great time and it was well worth the cost associated for the game as a result. The leveling experience & itemization in D4 is fantastic and for those who are talking it especially slow, they are undoubtedly enjoying themselves quite a bit. That doesn't mean that the perspective of people who play hardcore relating to the lack of long-term viability of the game are wrong though. Our concerns have absolutely nothing to do with what you're talking about.

You (and those going slow) will eventually hit WT3/4 and start doing the content designed to satisfy everyone at that point. We just hit it earlier because this is traditionally the part of the game that hardcore players enjoy the most. You're likely almost there even at your casual pace and the game hasn't even been out a week. You (and your girlfriend) are going to then hit the wall of frustration that I hit a few days ago, which to provide some examples;

1) You''re going to die in a nightmare dungeon key at the end. It happens. Unfortunately however you're going to be teleported back to the very beginning of the instance since the checkpoints aren't consistent. Now you're going to spend a few minutes running back. This may happen more than once in the same instance and effectively you'll have spent more time running back than playing the game. This is probably going to be even more frustrating for you than it is for me, as I have more time to devout to video games and you'll have used the limited time you can allocate running back because this is apperently 1999 and Blizzard can't figure out check points properly.

2) You're going to start seeing a lot more loot dropping. Your girlfriend needs to run back 3 times right now? It'll probably be 25 in WT4 if she's looting everything. It's all going to be junk stuff though and the good items that are limited and feel good to equip are going to become more and more sparse. At that point, you're going to question (as we are) why there isn't a loot filtering option.

3) You're going to run into affixes/mechanics that are just plain un-fun. Your girlfriend that doesn't normally play games? She's going to be playing what is effectively some of the worse Mythic+ designs from WoW. That means she's going to get one shot every time she makes a mistake, which will likely be because there's too much shit on the screen that paying attention to the charger, poison mob, etc is going to become progressively more difficult to see. Add in the fact that the objectives will already feel repetitive by this point and I'm not sure either you or her will be enjoying yourselves very much.

4) You're going to want to try some of the other specs out. Maybe your leveling build was based around what was effective while leveling. Maybe now you want more crit.

...but the game punishes you for this and doesn't allow multiple specs to be saved. This isn't a hardcore vs casual issue. This is a "Multi specs are common place in today's game and no one likes to feel punished for wanting to try a new build out" issue, which is shared across all gamers.

5) You're going to start collecting shit and doing the casual stuff that the hardcores finished days ago by going through the world map and collecting all statues/dungeons/etc. Only the in game map was designed by a retard and there is no overlay option. So you're going to need to use a third party interactive map like we've been doing and working around that. At some point, you may think to yourself what we've been thinking which is, "hasn't a transparent map that I can keep open at all times something that was available in Diablo 1? Why the fuck don't I have it in D4".

6) You're going to travel from point A to point B on the map quite a bit. It's a good thing you have a trusty horse that's designed to make this quicker since you've now done the run a few times and there's nothing that you want to check out anymore. Let me know how that goes for you when you hit the 50th obstacle that was put there just to frustrate you.

7) You're going to want to group with a guildie at some point perhaps? Enjoy wasting a few minutes finding them in the guild roster since there is no filtering options in your friends list or guild tab. Let me repeat that: I cannot filter my friends list.

I can list a lot more examples like this. Again, I agree that someone who is casually playing and going through the leveling process is having fun. It's a fun experience. I watched the cutscenes and read some quest text, something I rarely do. That doesn't mean that I give the game a pass because the shit they set up to do once the MSQ is over is dogshit, especially by virtue of the fact that the portion of the game after the MSQ is where you're intended to spend 99.9% of your playtime. The game is simply ripe full of annoying shit that impacts EVERYONE -- hardcore players simply got there a few days earlier and have started moaning that it's tedious.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Kinda cool, didn't realize non-sacred affixes will become sacred when applied to sacred items.

1686166276192.png

- to -

1686166294495.png

• 2Like

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I am confused voldeth. You will play LA, where you will do the same thing every day, every week, over and over, on multiple characters. All for small % gains over time(praying for drops). You will do raids where one mistake = death, and sometimes not just your death but everyone's. And this where you spend 99% of your playtime at the end. Yet you count that all for negative here.

Repetitveness is almost ingrained in gaming. I think the only way its not, is in PVP based games(moba, fps, rts etc) where player behavior can't be predicted as much.

Your first two points are on though. First one is a bug or just bad coding. And the 2nd is just QoL stuff that needs to be added.
Kinda cool, didn't realize non-sacred affixes will become sacred when applied to sacred items.

View attachment 477005

- to -

View attachment 477006

Huh? You can put regular aspects on sacred items. Doesn't seem to matter. The jump in that dmg is from putting it on a weapon, it gets 2x. And if you put it on a amulet, you get 1.5x.

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Hopefully I post in the correct section this time...

So I'm at lvl 54 and trying to wrap up the Renown I'm missing.

But other then that is Nightmare Dungeons the best for gearing up? I'm missing one item for my build to pop off even more but not sure where you get the most Legendaries for your time spent.

Did some Helltide but it felt a bit slow and lots of searching around for mobs/events.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
There is absolutely nothing wrong with this...........
NO NO NO, his entire point was that were somehow missing out by not going quicker in groups, "Gimping your own power, and taking a much longer time than you need to." because we dont sit AFK while others play the game for us. Were missing out because were not running some secret race, which, lets face it he will never win either. we are missing out because we dont race to the end, burn out, and bitch and complain how XX game has no content or sucks, lol.

I mean when I play a game solo, I will play it at my owm pace, be it slow or fast, and I could give 2 shits about others and how they are playing this game.

• 6Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Although I might pay with my kid a bit, he just added me on B.Net today, lol.

• 2Worf

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
1) You''re going to die in a nightmare dungeon key at the end. It happens. Unfortunately however you're going to be teleported back to the very beginning of the instance since the checkpoints aren't consistent. Now you're going to spend a few minutes running back. This may happen more than once in the same instance and effectively you'll have spent more time running back than playing the game. This is probably going to be even more frustrating for you than it is for me, as I have more time to devout to video games and you'll have used the limited time you can allocate running back because this is apperently 1999 and Blizzard can't figure out check points properly.

2) You're going to start seeing a lot more loot dropping. Your girlfriend needs to run back 3 times right now? It'll probably be 25 in WT4 if she's looting everything. It's all going to be junk stuff though and the good items that are limited and feel good to equip are going to become more and more sparse. At that point, you're going to question (as we are) why there isn't a loot filtering option.

3) You're going to run into affixes/mechanics that are just plain un-fun. Your girlfriend that doesn't normally play games? She's going to be playing what is effectively some of the worse Mythic+ designs from WoW. That means she's going to get one shot every time she makes a mistake, which will likely be because there's too much shit on the screen that paying attention to the charger, poison mob, etc is going to become progressively more difficult to see. Add in the fact that the objectives will already feel repetitive by this point and I'm not sure either you or her will be enjoying yourselves very much.

4) You're going to want to try some of the other specs out. Maybe your leveling build was based around what was effective while leveling. Maybe now you want more crit.
Do NOT let this man play PoE under any circumstances. He'll uninstall after 20 minutes of mapping.

• 2Like

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Hopefully I post in the correct section this time...

So I'm at lvl 54 and trying to wrap up the Renown I'm missing.

But other then that is Nightmare Dungeons the best for gearing up? I'm missing one item for my build to pop off even more but not sure where you get the most Legendaries for your time spent.

Did some Helltide but it felt a bit slow and lots of searching around for mobs/events.

For efficiencies sake yes and you want to do the highest one you can consistently clear fast, but RNG is RNG no matter what activities you choose.

Goal should be to be able to survive/dps into WT4 and 21+ dungeons which is where ancestral gear starts dropping.

Tide27

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So I really enjoyed Grim Dawn, but that was years ago. Picked up Last Epoch a few months ago (whenever the multiplayer patch hit) and really enjoyed it until end game. And then I just couldn't force myself to log in anymore.

It sounds like this one will be similar, where it's fun to level up, but the thought of end game and/or rolling another class is excruciating.

We're not even a week in and I'm seeing lots of posts reflecting that it was fun for a bit, but it wore off super fast.

And the difference (I know you all don't care about money) is this one is double the price of those.

I appreciate all the feedback, even if it looks like whining or whatever to some of you. I'm a very discerning customer. And if I'm wrong, please keep giving me examples of why.
I will add that a few of the people that are the most vocal about how bad it is, cant seem to log off...

I only get a few hours a day to play, and when I log in randomly at 8pm, and maybe again for an hour before work at 5am, and then when I get off of work around 2:30pm.....I see the same names still plugging away.

These same people already have 40-50hrs + logged in 3-4 days as well.

Will it be a forever game? No clue. Will you get 40-50+ hrs of fun content and new shiny regardless....most certainly yes.

I am a fan of ARPGs and have enjoyed aspects of most of them, however....I dont hit max lvl and then continue playing nonstop to min/max a toon. A few runs to max level with a different class or two is enough for me.

• 2Like