Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Two years of rust is no joke. I forgot what a pain in the ass Mohg's second phase is. Anyway, got him on the third try, then sprinted through Caelid and beat down the good general in like 15 seconds. All set for a few weeks of late nights spent yelling at the TV and struggling my way through crippling exhaustion at work.
I reinstalled earlier today. I was looking up my steam BS, and it really has been almost 2 years if not over since I was playing it, but when I did it was for a good number of months just combing through the game, trying to be as thorough as possible.

I probably won't even remember what buttons do what. I guess we know what that will mean, and that's why I thought about just starting the game back over, so I can relearn everything, but I think I'm 150 Plus with a bunch of good weapons.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Mohg and Starscorge Radahn. But. Be careful you didn’t start a new game plus and didn’t really do anything. If you did, you’ll have to kill those two to get to the DLC.
I should be ok. I'm going to keep playing my current toon until 3PM tomorrow. I'm nowhere near where I need to be. This one is well a bit of everything. I have a greatsword and I can spell cast / whatever the faith thing is called.

I may keep just playing that but I know FOMO is going to hit and I'm going to have to bring out the unga bunga 2h stomp elden lord to rampage the DLC.

• 1Solidarity

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Twinblades are just annoying because they all require NG+ to get a second one unless you use a mismatched pair. Scavenger's curved swords have the same problem.

Yeah, like RoB (no idea if it's still good like it was).

I'm going to try your suggestion of 2x Beastman's Blood Curved Swords plus the right talismans.

Having the same dilemma and I'll probably check out the DLC on my higher level character on launch, then return with my NG character once they're all set up in a few weeks and get payback. That's kind of the best of both worlds.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
All set for a few weeks of crippling exhaustion at work.

That's been me for the past couple weeks already. This is probably going to make it even worse.

Sister Friede - What a great battle. One of my favorite fights in the whole series. It having 3 forms is also ultra-rare in the Fromsoft lineup (Sword Saint kinda does too but that's all that comes to mind).

Finally won it with another person summoned to help, though they fell on phase 2 so I had to deal with a more powerful phase 3, so I'm not sure how much of an assist it actually added. Fighting alongside Slave Knight Gael was pretty great though.

Defeated Demon Prince again, was tougher this time because I had a summoned ally (same one as Friede, and they survived this time).

The army of archers at the entrance to the DLC was obnoxious. I appreciated the "welcome to the Ringed City"ness of it, but after the 10th or so death just trying to go into the place I started to wonder if all the whining folk have a point about this series. Just felt really unnecessary to have that many of them. Then again I was also trying to defeat the giant summoner, and could have just run past it to get to the next bonfire, so maybe it's my fault for not fleeing.

3 bosses left. Might try to get DS3 done tonight, now that I have a plan for ER worked out and don't have to worry about it.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Only 2 years, 13 hours and 15 minutes away from the second DLC!

I've got a theory.

I always thought Haligtree, and maybe even Consecrated Snowfield, was intended to be a DLC originally but it was finished fairly early so they just included it at launch. It's about the size of one of the normal Souls DLCs.

Well, now I'm wondering if the whole underworld area was intended to be a DLC as well. It's really incongruous with the rest of the game, it's a bunch of zones kinda pieced together with teleporters rather than a full overland area like the rest of the game, etc. Seems like a bunch of pieces of another potential DLC that got added in.

Now we've got SOTE, which is supposedly two DLCs that they combined into one. Maybe the Underworld was supposed to be the beginning of one of them?

IDK but it's kind of interesting to think about. I just hope we get to fight both Godwyn and Miquella. The Formless Mother would be awesome too but I felt like that was big enough to save for an Elden Ring 2 (if there is one).

nu_11

Hearing that this game still stutters and hitches on the PC. Has anyone ever tried running this under Linux? Is this possible? Curious if it exhibits the same issue under that OS.

Some people have it, some don't. I thankfully don't. Fixes for it are varied, work for some, others not.

Two fixes I know of are in steam, turn off controller input. Right click game, properties, go to controller and change it to disable steam input. Another fix for Logitech users is to turn off the keyboard and mouse when you play the game. That also fixes it for some.

No idea about Linux.

What fixed most of my stutter issues is switching from exclusive fullscreen to borderless windowed. It read somewhere that exclusive fullscreen is glitchy when not at 1080p or 4k resolution (I have a 1440p monitor).

ShakyJake

<Donor>
What fixed most of my stutter issues is switching from exclusive fullscreen to borderless windowed. It read somewhere that exclusive fullscreen is glitchy when not at 1080p or 4k resolution (I have a 1440p monitor).
Were you running 2560x1440 in the game?

kroenen

Regimen Morum

Elden Ring – Patch Notes Version 1.12.png

Torrent.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Looks like pretty big nerfs to big beam of death gameplay, then again that shit is pretty fucking dumb so not gonna miss it. Rest doesn't matter too much I'd think cause there's likely going to be more broken shit to exploit in the DLC itself.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Bald Brah

Silver Knight of the Realm
Some nerfs to Blasphemous Blade/Moonlight greatsword. You can now use Torrent during the final boss though!

Wave of destruction already seemed better to me. Less enemies have resistance to it so it usually does more damage than takers flame, and even though it supposedly has less poise dmg it literally throws people in the air and knocks them on their ass every hit. Then they are wide open for a jumping or charged heavy. Then they are poise broken and open for a crit. It's much easier to use on bosses than blasphemous blade.

BB is only better because you can constantly heal off trash mobs and don't ever need to touch your crimson tears.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Wave of destruction already seemed better to me. Less enemies have resistance to it so it usually does more damage than takers flame, and even though it supposedly has less poise dmg it literally throws people in the air and knocks them on their ass every hit. Then they are wide open for a jumping or charged heavy. Then they are poise broken and open for a crit. It's much easier to use on bosses than blasphemous blade.

BB is only better because you can constantly heal off trash mobs and don't ever need to touch your crimson tears.

Well BB did also knockdown human enemies. But yeah Ruins GS will have the knockdown advantage now.

• 1Like

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Looks like pretty big nerfs to big beam of death gameplay, then again that shit is pretty fucking dumb so not gonna miss it. Rest doesn't matter too much I'd think cause there's likely going to be more broken shit to exploit in the DLC itself.

They boosted Prince of Death's Staff attribute scaling though so my Death Mage build should continue to melt stuff with Ancient Death Rancor.

Real shame about the knockdown removal on Taker's Flames though. Survivability aside, it was fun knocking enemies down.

Oh, they nerfed poise damage on Glintblade Phalanx as well. That'll hurt spellblade builds that have relied on those stance breaks.

• 1Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
They boosted Prince of Death's Staff attribute scaling though so my Death Mage build should continue to melt stuff with Ancient Death Rancor.

Real shame about the knockdown removal on Taker's Flames though. Survivability aside, it was fun knocking enemies down.

Oh, they nerfed poise damage on Glintblade Phalanx as well. That'll hurt spellblade builds that have relied on those stance breaks.

The stance break was pretty bonkers though. Combined with DMGS charge attack you could chain stance break almost anything

• 1Like

nu_11

Were you running 2560x1440 in the game?

I tried exclusive fullscreen using 2560x1440 in game (monitor native resolution) and 1.78x DLDSR (3413x1920) but I got less stuttering when I switched to borderless windowed.

Bald Brah

Silver Knight of the Realm
Well BB did also knockdown human enemies. But yeah Ruins GS will have the knockdown advantage now.

It didn't knock down nearly as many enemies. Run through castle sol or volcano manor with both weapons. Same with crucible knights I would imagine. I'm in deeproot depths now will try it out on the tree knight.

BB only excels on things that are extremely weak to fire like tree spirits. Most others wave of destruction seemed superior to me. Even before the nerf.