Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

nu_11

I just used a quest item to revive someone, and the tube magically pops up a vid to show its alternative use for something else really cool and remote. screw me plenty and am not an ng plus person.
You are supposed to miss things on your first playthrough. Sometimes you are one of the few who finds wierd and interesting things that most people miss. You cant have a unique experience otherwise.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
So finally beat the final boss with the greatshield/thrust sword setup, had to add bleed to further cheese but it got done. Apparently this is the setup most people are using to get through this and I see why now heh.

I think I agree with the herd that most of the bosses are just very slightly overtuned and could use a like split second delay between startup of new attack animations.

Very good expansion though; I think my biggest problem outside of the bosses is that some of the areas are just too empty.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Bald Brah

Silver Knight of the Realm
Well after banging my head against the wall for a while I finally got a nice easy strat to beat commander gaius.

I used the fire knights greatsword with lions claw, any good bonk weapon should do. Flame art, rocking 55str 60fth. I think I have 9 or 10 scatturds. Instead of trying to summon a spirit ash or dodge his attack just run to the left around the corner. There is a little lip on the castle wall he will get stuck on and can't get to you. Then you have plenty of time to summon and lie in wait for him to eventually clip around the corner. When he does just blast him with lions claws. Hopefully your mimic will do the same. 2 or 3 lions claws hes stunned, hit him in the stink eye. One or two more lions claws he's dead. No running around, no bullshit tricks flying in the air blasting you with lightning. Pin him in the corner and he's toast.

nu_11

So finally beat the final boss with the greatshield/thrust sword setup, had to add bleed to further cheese but it got done. Apparently this is the setup most people are using to get through this and I see why now heh.

I think I agree with the herd that most of the bosses are just very slightly overtuned and could use a like split second delay between startup of new attack animations.

Very good expansion though; I think my biggest problem outside of the bosses is that some of the areas are just too empty.
There's one attack that always hit me 75% of the time in the final boss. I was wondering how to reliably dodge it, and it turns out that the no-hit strat uses the parry flask for it 😞

Chris

Potato del Grande
Comet was never the problem (it was useless on most boss fights in even the base game) with sorcery.
In my first playthrough, the second half of the game I just did Comet Azur on every boss.

Only ones it didn't work on were the Dragonlord in Farum Azula, Astel and Elden Beast because of their mobility. It worked on Malenia. I killed Astel with Moonveil Katana but couldn't beat the other two - so I haven't actually beat the game lol.

On my second playthrough now and still abusing Mimic Tear to get through the DLC, but using a bleed build.

Hoping I can play the "skilled" way on NG+ and use a sheild to parry stuff without a summon.

Bald Brah

Apparently only the knight in the church drops it. He also drops the shield, which evidently is how I got that, which also means I'll never get the weapon this playthrough since he never respawns. Stupid.

Fire knight's greatsword is pretty epic too and that's farmable.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
ThErE's hArDly aNy boSSes ThIs woRKs oN!!

Trash clearing is easier, safer, etc. Some trash mobs are harder than some bosses. And some of the game's hardest bosses are trivialized with spells. Guys, why does Miyazaki hate sorcery?!?! DLC is mid! Shit is so hyper agro!!!!

When he has had to watch videos like the above for the past 2 years, is it any wonder why he might think to add in some "counters" to the finger wiggling faggotry?

Sorcery is boomer mode, period. There's no dancing around it. It's flat easier than melee in the vast majority of encounters. And I'm not even besmirching people who want to play that way. I'm just ROFLing that people are surprised that they'd add in more "counters" for it, now that the devs had 2 years to see how "EZ MODE" it is compared to most other builds.

First of all, the jumping meta never existed in Souls games until Elden ring because it is literally the first game in the series with the option to jump. Second, how is spamming weapon arts to clear crash or horsing/running past a bunch of shit to the boss grace somehow more "skill intensive" than nuking trash mobs? Or did I miss a patch where Rivers of Blood, Ruins Greatsword, and a bunch of other OP weapons suddenly stopped working on trash clears? And if you took a break from jerking yourself off over your edge lording, you would notice its not just caster builds bitching about the hyper agro button reading Bloodborne AI shit. EVERYONE who is not a shield and spear counterpoke player is annoyed with it being overly prevalent in the game. This is in addition to the openning fuck you shit at the start of many boss fights, like how you have to do the long drop to Putrid Rider which burns time off of your buffs or the raped the second you enter the door shit that Bayle and Mesmer do (among many others).

My non coop play I am doing on the side is a dagger user and boy does the game really fuck you for trying anything like that just in general, to say nothing of the point blank AoE spamming jumpy bosses with goofy hit boxes. I mean, there are some boss mobs you are literally unable to hit with daggers because their hitboxes are messed up right now. EZ mode for the DLC (and the main game really) is still jumping spears or shield and spear (especially Gransax with lightning setups). Every single boss in the base game that is not cheesable with Comet and/or Corpse Piler spam gets roasted by that setup. Comet basically stops being a thing after Mogh (who is admittedly still cheesable despite the tear nerf) and most casters in the base game tend to rely on Night Comet (since the AI does not controller read to avoid it) until Ancient Rancor Call becomes a viable option. And even then you are likely rocking the DMGS for most fights, even post nerf.

Its not fun, at least not from a standard Souls game style of methodical read learning combat (vs Twitchborne which is what they apparently really want to make) and it kills the main thing that made Elden Ring so popular with the mainstream gaming community, namely the accessibility. People who are really experienced at this game are going to get through it just fine. I mean, even as a caster I am closing in on the end of it. But the fucked up Multiplayer scaling and hyperagro all the time shit is going to drive off the normies in droves. They are basically turning every mandatory fight into Milenia like frustration for standard characters, instead of confining it to optional fights where a normie can come back to it after learning and leveling through the core game. Its annoying but tenable for a DLC, but if the next Souls game is like this then its going to sell Seikero like numbers instead of the phenom that Elden Ring managed to pull off.

• 1Like

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Fire knight's greatsword is pretty epic too and that's farmable.
Its actually broken as fuck and probably the best weapon in the game, certainly for PvP. It has an animation that guarantees a two hit combo, plus can be custom fit with a weapon art of choice. Slap anything with hyperarmor on it and spam R1 ftw.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I get him pretty low but I get no time to heal all the chip damage lol

no idea how dodge bros do this
You need to farm up enough Endurance to light roll, plus slot defensive talismans. The big ramp up in this DLC is that spamming dodge (unless you are dex) does not work very well. They added a lot of weird delays and changeups to the enemies that require you to learn the exact timing. Mesmer is a perfect example. His spear dive has a flash that is a good visible tell for when to dodge, but the subsequent PB AE explosion requires a second roll that is slightly delayed so if you just spam dodge it will always roll catch you (especially if you are relying on target lock). It would be great if every read was not don't blink or you will miss it fast and there were so many to commit to memory.

I personally am not up to the last boss, but from what I am hearing Fingerprint shield w counterpoke spear seems to be the easiest way to win.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
LMAO. Sure bud. Here's just one example..

ThErE's hArDly aNy boSSes ThIs woRKs oN!!

What are the buffs he casts at the beginning of every fight? Looks like 3 or 4 of them.

Tripping up Mohg before using the Kamehameha is an inspired move.

Most DLC bosses are way too aggressive to allow ANY moment of buffing after walking into their room, but if all these buffs can be used outside the room, and a Greatshield Spirit summoned quick enough after going in, then this strategy could work in the DLC too.

All in all it's a pretty impressive video and doesn't seem like it'd be that hard to replicate.

• 1Solidarity

Bald Brah

That looks good as well, I'll move the flame knight by the lift to farm status. It's past time for a change from Blasphemous Blade and nothing else has stuck so far, even post-nerf.

I will always run BB and sword of milos for farming trash. It's too easy. With this greatsword you can stay faith/str. I put lions claw on it for a poise beat stick for tougher enemies but BB still works fine on knights and invaders and stuff.

The new barbed great spear is another great holy weapon to keep in your pocket, works with the same stat spread. Melts big bads like the Ghostface dragons and I'm going to go beat up some death birds with it too.

Bald Brah

Most DLC bosses are way too aggressive to allow ANY moment of buffing after walking into their room, but if all these buffs can be used outside the room, and a Greatshield Spirit summoned quick enough after going in, then this strategy could work in the DLC too.

The DLC bosses seem to drop aggro on your spirit the very first time you hit them. Messmer seems to just ignore spirits completely. Just running around the room not attacking at all he will jump away from the spirit and smack me all the way across the room. I was trying to see how low the mimic and that wormy guy could get him on their own.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Apparently only the knight in the church drops it. He also drops the shield, which evidently is how I got that, which also means I'll never get the weapon this playthrough since he never respawns. Stupid.
That sucks, I did get the weapon as stated and then shield off random knights. Why cockblock a weapon?

Bald Brah

Its not fun, at least not from a standard Souls game style of methodical read learning combat (vs Twitchborne which is what they apparently really want to make) and it kills the main thing that made Elden Ring so popular with the mainstream gaming community, namely the accessibility. People who are really experienced at this game are going to get through it just fine. I mean, even as a caster I am closing in on the end of it. But the fucked up Multiplayer scaling and hyperagro all the time shit is going to drive off the normies in droves. They are basically turning every mandatory fight into Milenia like frustration for standard characters, instead of confining it to optional fights where a normie can come back to it after learning and leveling through the core game. Its annoying but tenable for a DLC, but if the next Souls game is like this then its going to sell Seikero like numbers instead of the phenom that Elden Ring managed to pull off.

You act like they won't adjust stuff later in future patches. I'm sure some of the hyper aggressive bosses are going to be tuned down later. It's only the hard core people hitting them this early anyway. Normies like me aren't even halfway there yet.

Spells and gear are always being upgraded or downgraded depending on how the herd is using them. Blasphemous blade is a perfect example. It still rocks a ton of dmg and healing, but without the poise dmg it's not as good on big bads.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The DLC bosses seem to drop aggro on your spirit the very first time you hit them. Messmer seems to just ignore spirits completely. Just running around the room not attacking at all he will jump away from the spirit and smack me all the way across the room. I was trying to see how low the mimic and that wormy guy could get him on their own.
The AI literally reads the control inputs and reacts before any actual visual indicators appear on screen of what you are doing. This has been the case for a while in ER (started in DS3, but got dialed up to 11 in base ER and over 9000 in the DLC), but the new part is when boss mobs like Mesmer (with long ass wombo combos who jump all around the arena) will actually frame cancel whatever they are doing the moment you input a flask keypress to smack you from all the way across the arena with perfectly timed interrupts. The player style invaders or Gaol Bosses are also notorious for this (there are vids of Jolun and the Dancer literally canceling whiffed combos into ranged attacks when someone inputs a flask) and even the trash tends to do it to a certain extend. The upside is that occasionally you can exploit the AI due to this tendency by queing up a cancelable ranged attack or spell (enemies will literally spam rolls if you fire an arrow into the ground in front of you) and punishing the cheat read, but most bosses do not have those kinds of AI weaknesses.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
You act like they won't adjust stuff later in future patches. I'm sure some of the hyper aggressive bosses are going to be tuned down later. It's only the hard core people hitting them this early anyway. Normies like me aren't even halfway there yet.

Spells and gear are always being upgraded or downgraded depending on how the herd is using them. Blasphemous blade is a perfect example. It still rocks a ton of dmg and healing, but without the poise dmg it's not as good on big bads.
The overtuning will be addressed, but core AI and shit like Bayle belly flopping on you 0.0001 seconds after you walk through the fog wall or the forever fall that burns a half minute of buff timer before Putrid Rider likely won't. And I expect some shit to get nerfed, too. Frankly speaking, the Fire Knight GS, Impenetrable Thorns, and Uzi Spear probably all need to be toned down to a degree. The flaming impale weapon art probably needs some nerfing, too. Issue there is that the gear and spell selection for casters is pretty much dogshit across the board. Case in point, why make a fucking staff or Seal with worse scaling than Death Prince/Golden Order? Literally no one is going to use the combo staff, as one example, because its scaling is complete shit for damage, like arguably worse than Renalla's staff you get way back in the Academy. And while there are loads of heavier armor pieces/sets with passives to make melee builds stronger/unique, there are like two robes in the entire DLC and neither does shit. Faith does get a little love at least, but mostly in talismans.