Elite: Dangerous (Kickstarted Sandbox Space Flight Sim)

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
The price is pretty cheap too. It's $30.99 on Xbox. I might pick that one up too eventually.
I think that's the price while it's in preview. It might be more expensive if you wait until it's released. It's implied from the latest newsletter, and there's a small offer on as well:

Existing PC and Mac players can pick up Elite: Dangerous for Xbox One and receive a ?5 voucher for the Frontier Store.

Once the Game Preview stage ends, everyone already playing the Preview release on Xbox One will automatically transfer to the finished game for no additional cost.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
aCOpRnY.jpg

ofdnEGo.jpg

xnb7mMs.jpg

30 hours of my life well spent.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Congrats dude! That ship is very sweet!

I'm trying to make enough money to buy a hauler and equip it for exploration right now.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Oh it's not really about the ship. I have an Anaconda, two Clippers, a Python and a Fer De Lance docked right now
wink.png

made some videos too

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
Man I haven't played in weeks. Being a parent is cool and all that, but my gaming time is roughly zero lately. I should send the wife and kids on a weekend trip and poopsock around a bit.

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
Man I haven't played in weeks. Being a parent is cool and all that, but my gaming time is roughly zero lately. I should send the wife and kids on a weekend trip and poopsock around a bit.
I found Exploring was the best solution when you don't have much time to spare. You can just hop between systems as and when you get chance, and there's still plenty left to explore (although these days you may have to travel a long way before you go where no man has gone before)

So far an incredible 11.3 million systems have been explored by players. At the current rate of play the Elite: Dangerous community will have charted the galaxy's 400 billion star systems in 23,417 years.
Elite: Dangerous Update #84

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Anyone playing without a joystick? In war thunder I had no problems tracking a target in a loop with just mouse. With Elite I'm finding trouble getting a good setting for mouse, it just flies different. I tried xbox controller but again playing with sensitivity the little sticks are just too imprecise (vs rc flyers who use longer sticks so you have more precision). I've hated joysticks in the past though so leery of buying one,.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
New expansion coming 'This holiday season'

ELITE DANGEROUS: HORIZONS
A new season of expansions for Elite Dangerous, starting Holiday 2015 on PC..

PLANETARY LANDINGS

Elite Dangerous: Horizons launches with the eagerly-awaited planetary landings on countless 1:1 scale worlds.

GAME-CHANGING CONTENT

Map uncharted worlds, dogfight in canyons, discover items and events you'll only find on world surfaces.

DRIVING ON PLANETS

Embark on surface expeditions in all-terrain Surface Roving Vehicles (SRVs).

PLAY WITH FRIENDS

Share the experience above and on the ground in Wings, and participate in Powerplay and story events in unique ways.

A WHOLE SEASON OF EXPANSIONS

Regular major updates included in the single purchase.
This second major update will include additional gameplay-focused content including an all-new game-changing loot and crafting system.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Anyone playing without a joystick? In war thunder I had no problems tracking a target in a loop with just mouse. With Elite I'm finding trouble getting a good setting for mouse, it just flies different. I tried xbox controller but again playing with sensitivity the little sticks are just too imprecise (vs rc flyers who use longer sticks so you have more precision). I've hated joysticks in the past though so leery of buying one,.
If you have not adjusted the default mouse controls, place Pitch up and Down on the vertical mouse axis, and yaw on the left/right mouse axis. A/D on the keyboard need to be changed to rotation around the center axis. R/F are vertical thrusters from bottom/top and W/S are throttle settings. This should make it fly much more like warthunder, the default for kb/mouse sucks. The game plays well on KB/Mouse with these control adjustments.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
News of the xpac got me playing the game again, where I really didn't play it much before, just got used to the controls.

Went from a sidewinder to a fairly well decked out Viper just assisting NPCs killing bounties at a point of interest near Serebrov Station in Yakabugai.

Not sure what to do next, trying to amass a small fortune, maybe 10 million or so and then go from there.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
I am looking forward to "dogfight" with my Anacona in canyons
smile.png
Must remember to have that insurance paid in full....

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
News of the xpac got me playing the game again, where I really didn't play it much before, just got used to the controls.

Went from a sidewinder to a fairly well decked out Viper just assisting NPCs killing bounties at a point of interest near Serebrov Station in Yakabugai.

Not sure what to do next, trying to amass a small fortune, maybe 10 million or so and then go from there.
For "things to do" keep an eye on Community goals to see if there's one that looks appealing (at the moment, there's just one active anyway...). They get mentioned in Galnet but the forum thread is the best place to follow what's going on in practice:

Active Community Goals Thread #2

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
im not going to read 15 pages so someone tell me if this game is worth buying

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
im not going to read 15 pages so someone tell me if this game is worth buying
Its very grindy but I like it.

That's not to say its not flawed. It could use way more ship variety and quest variety/variety in stuff to do in general, but its very sandboxy, which is a strong point. The universe is the largest in any video game that I'm aware of, even if a lot of it is empty space.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Its very grindy but I like it.

That's not to say its not flawed. It could use way more ship variety and quest variety/variety in stuff to do in general, but its very sandboxy, which is a strong point. The universe is the largest in any video game that I'm aware of, even if a lot of it is empty space.
Yeah, Im not a grinder anymore so seems like this isn't for me.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
This is on sale for 40% off currently; worth buying or wait for the expansion? I was looking at their official "flowchart" of how to buy the game/expansion and it was such a fucking trainwreck that it kept me from just impulse buying it so I can do play with space lasers.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
If you're going to buy it with the expansion, might as well get it now and get to grinding cash. Probably won't be 40% off when the xpac comes out, but what the hell do I know? Maybe it will be.

I've enjoyed it for what it is now, but my above post to Araysar still holds true. There's not a lot to do, theres a limited number of ships. I enjoy the game quite a bit, but its not like I play it all the time. I already have the xpac preordered.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Well, the expansion apparently comes with the normal game, how long away is this thing, or do we not know yet?