Elite: Dangerous (Kickstarted Sandbox Space Flight Sim)

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
whats the point of landing on planets???
A work in progress stream showing ground combat and low level flying. Stuff starts about 10 minutes in.

It sounds like there are wrecks, bases and ports, which will mean combat, trading and missions. And to give a sense of scale:

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They now released the system requirements for Horizons. It's gonna be a x64 application only.

Minimum specs are
6 GB of RAM,
4x2 GHZ CPU
GTX 470 / AMD 7240
Direct X 11 only

Recommended
8 GB RAM
Intel Core i7-3770K / AMD FX 4350
Nvidia GTX 770 / AMD Radeon R9 280X

according to the Braben, only 0.5% of all users can't run Horizons on their current machine due to the restrictions. I'm pretty surprised 4 GB RAM machines are already this rare. Good move to leave them behind for good.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
So I saw this on Steam for $15. I haven't been following this game, but am I correct in that you can play "solo" but that you still need internet? In multiplayer, is this more/less ganky than EVE?

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
So I saw this on Steam for $15. I haven't been following this game, but am I correct in that you can play "solo" but that you still need internet? In multiplayer, is this more/less ganky than EVE?
Yes, you will need an internet connection to play.

As you can switch to "Solo" mode you can avoid blockades and the like, so it's less ganky than Eve. PvP tends to be something you have to go looking for, but there's plenty of it (Quineloe is the guy to ask), and it's more like air combat than Eve which I'd say is more "naval" style combat. The number of player ships you'll see depends on your internet connection, in a busy areas you can be looking at a dozen or more which may not sound like much but in dogfighting I find it's plenty to keep track of.

Bear in mind that the Horizons expansion is coming out very soon, supposedly before the end of the year, which will add quite a bit to the game like planetary landings and surface combat on airless worlds, some kind of crafting to modify weapons and equipment, and multiplayer crew later on. I don't know if what's on offer on Steam covers the expansion or not, I'm guessing it doesn't.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
the galaxy with prices and stuff runs on their "background simulator server" which is why they need solo players to have an internet connection.

I dont know how ganky EVE is, but unless you stick to current hot spots (which change weekly except for faction headquarters), you'll not run into gankers. I'd say 99.9% of all players won't attack you on sight, and gankers obviously try to stick to areas where they can get fights.

If you want PVP to find you, all it takes is show up at the hot spots and shoot players. They'll complain at the local star port about you and the white knights will head out to hunt you. I

Currently grinding out ranks for that sexy Cutter and holy crap is it ever boring. Netflix was able to entertain me during a cannon ball run 48k light years out and back including a quick Sag A pit stop. Not this time. I have to stop every hour to not fall asleep. Donation missions are seriously boring. I read that it takes about 10 million credits to go from Outsider to King. Donation missions average 3,000-14,000 credits per mission, so that is roughly 3333-714 donation missions. Ill probably not make it before the patch is released at this rate.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
No idea which system is best right now. I'm just hoping they make the system less shitty soon.

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
Some beta screenshots (not mine), spoilered for size. As you might expect from procedural generation, some spots are much better looking than others. There's definitely some issue with terrain "pop-up" and hopefully some optimisations to come on shadowing, which slows things down a lot.

rrr_img_117731.jpg

rrr_img_117732.jpg

rrr_img_117733.jpg

Well according to Michael Brookes the Corvette will require Rear Admiral and the Cutter will require Duke. Just hit Prince tonight, so I guess I can finally take a break from rank grinding, day 1 cutter here I come! I wonder what max rank is for because it is significantly longer to grind for the last 3 ranks than the first 11..... capital ships perhaps??

1.5 update - Page 2

I made Count to Duke in a matter of hours using the "noob" thread on the official forums. That system works fairly well, even if you half-ass it.

Noob's tutorial on quick ranking in Empire/Feds - how to rank up in 2 hours max per rank, up to ranks 10-11
That is not a bad method..... little late for me but hopefully it will help others. Once I started donating in 1 million credit blocks (1.5-2 hours) and then take a break the process seemed to go a little easier. I do not want to think about Federal ranking until after I hitElitein trading, hopefully the process will be improved by then.

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
I got my buddies into this game and we're running around in a private group doing bounties.

I need to start focusing more on the game instead of just casually playing. I'd like to get ranks so I can start working towards these ships. Is this ranking thing pretty daunting (federation) because I've been doing bounties for a while now and its been going slow.