Elite: Dangerous (Kickstarted Sandbox Space Flight Sim)

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Well, the expansion apparently comes with the normal game, how long away is this thing, or do we not know yet?
Does it? I haven't seen their flow chart. If you preorder the expansion it comes with the normal game as well then? Because if so that's what I would go with.

Think its supposed to be out by Christmas, mebbe sooner.

I haven't been like keeping track of this shit tbh.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
This is some big QA thread I found on their forums, because needing a fucking flowchart to explain how to buy your game is always a good idea

attachment.php

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Then, unless you are dying to play today, but plan to play in the future, I'd just go with the preorder of the xpac and play when it releases here in a month or two, rather than paying 60% of retail now, and then buying the xpac on top of that.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
If you don't own the game now it basically boils down to "Do you want to play the game now and buy the expansion later, or buy the expansion but not be able to play at all until that launches?"
The rest of it is the usual pre-order/beta bollocks.

e;f,b.

Actual content: 1.4 is in test and will go live in the next few weeks adding a few more ship variants, a few new player-derived minor powers and an arena game based around small fighter combat.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Preordering the xpac gives you one bonus: Its the only way you're ever going to be able to buy the Mark IV of whatever that one ship is.

I prefer the Asp over the Mark III of that version of the ship, but the Mark IV might out match both of them I dunno yet.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Decided to give it a try. Played the first like 4 training missions, refunded. I can't quite explain what it is, but trying to control your ship in this game is just pure frustration for me. It never turns as fast as you want it to, keyboard/mouse controls feel absolutely abysmal, and even trying to play with a 360 controller gave me the same old "i hate aiming with an analog stick" issues. Maybe it gets better as you get better ships or something, but my god that was the most aggravating hour of gaming I've had in a long, long time.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I play it with a joystick and throttle control personally, but my understanding is a lot of people rebind a few keys who play it with keyboard and mouse, and that generally makes it more playable for them.

To each their own.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
For mouse + KB, peopleneedto rebind yaw to mouse x-axis and roll to A-D. The default controls are exactly backwards and just doing that alone will vastly improve the handling.

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
For mouse + KB, peopleneedto rebind yaw to mouse x-axis and roll to A-D. The default controls are exactly backwards and just doing that alone will vastly improve the handling.
I never understood why Frontier didn't change the default mouse + KB controls given that everyone remaps them.

IIRC the Mark IV Cobra is supposed to offer more internal upgrades than the Mark III, although what that means in practice aside from more room I'm not sure - probably it will allow you to carry one of the landing vehicles.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Our "Guild" team is up 52:0 in team deathmatch so far. It's basically just like a WoW battleground, as I thought. premade groups dominate that game.

At least there's true deathmatch, however with a point limit of 750 (ie at best 8 kills) the matches are very short, then you wait two minutes for another game to start.

Then again, the 1.4 changes to the actual game are pretty sweet.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Horizons will not be released on the $2000 Facebook machines, err Macs, because Apple's 3D interface is lacking key components to run the new game engine.

This is such a glorious PC gaming master race moment, this time not against consoles but against a platform that is twice as expensive as ours
smile.png

A $500 Xbone can play Horizons, and your $2000 Apple can't
smile.png

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
So I bought the game when it was on sale recently and have been playing a little here and there. I've worked up to a Cobra Mk III, partially pimped, and about 1M in cash. The ship's trade in is about 1M as well.

I've made most of my money smuggling. I tried out mining and it didn't care much for it. What did you guys do at this early stage for fun?

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
So I bought the game when it was on sale recently and have been playing a little here and there. I've worked up to a Cobra Mk III, partially pimped, and about 1M in cash. The ship's trade in is about 1M as well.

I've made most of my money smuggling. I tried out mining and it didn't care much for it. What did you guys do at this early stage for fun?
Mostly combat for me, instead of the Cobra Mk III (which I don't like very much) I use the other ship that is similar in price range and (I think) slightly better for combat. I think I had 3-5 million dosh saved up last time I played (been a month or two, waiting for the xpac at this point to bother playing again).

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Cobra can explore and fight as well, it's multi purpose. You could even do some rare trading

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
Mostly combat for me, instead of the Cobra Mk III (which I don't like very much) I use the other ship that is similar in price range and (I think) slightly better for combat.
Viper? I think that's what I used for a while. Sick engine sound.
Most of my income was bounty hunting at Nav Points for a while, and later at RES. Coupled with Community Goals the bounty hunting did get me some nice cash.
Plus, it's "pew pew" instead of space truck simulator 3250.

I also preordered Horizons. Haven't played in half a year, probably won't be playing for the rest of this year I fear, still fanboi.