EQ Never

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Remember, SoE didnt even make EQ, like was mentioned in the little venting article. They bought it from Verant.
Eh. Verant was spun off from SOE and, AFAIK, existed mainly as a mechanism to transfer money from Sony to the various folks at Verant when it was acquired. Stock options on shell companies for the win. In any event most (all?) of the key people at Verant are back working for Sony now

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yup. Originally it was 989 Studios, which was as tad mentions, always owned by Sony. Then Verant was an off-shoot of 989. Then SOE merged the entire thing back into itself. They've always really been the same "group".

taebin

Same trailer, different park
Verant and Sony were intertwined, even back in the beginning.

Qeynos = SonyEQ backwards......!!!!!!!!!!!!

tumblr_me5a7bA2Qw1qljt4ro1_250.gif

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
I'm wondering if they go the PS2 pay for beta access early route and possibly even more so. It seems to me that they'd have no shortage of folks willing to fork over $$ to get into beta as early as possible. With many of the KickStarter and Steam games able to get plenty of folks to pony up higher and higher tiers of $$ to get guaranteed access as early as possible , it seems reasonable for more companies to try this route.

Now whether that makes a good decision for beta testers is another argument , as I could see positive and negatives to having that crowd only as your main early testers.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Pretty sure he never used the words alpha or beta.
Fair enough. Anyway, we shall see if lightning has struck twice ("One small step for man...") or if EQN is all smoke and mirrors ("Oh, the humanity...").

If convo or someone else doesn't beat me to it, I'm starting an SOE Live Live thread on the 1st.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Be more epic to leave it here. 95% of it EQN anyway. Be nice to read this thread 10 years from now?!

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
Pretty sure he never used the words alpha or beta.
"Players will get their hands on an actual release version of what we're doing late [this] year -- and I don't mean a beta"

That seems to imply that it's going to be more than a beta.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Be more epic to leave it here. 95% of it EQN anyway. Be nice to read this thread 10 years from now?!
I don't see a problem with two threads. A newsy SOE Live thread and commentary here. Just easier for folks to find info if we start a new thread and put the key information in the OP as we get it.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Think they will give a rough ETA of launch window they are shooting for (Q2 of 14 etc ) or leave it completely open-ended "when it'd done"?

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
How did this work for PS2?
I believe it was a few (maybe more) months before launch you could get instantly into beta by buying essentially a "founders" pack that was something like 39.95. Got you SC and other perks but one of them was instantly into the PS2 beta when it was still a closed beta.

Eonan

Doer of Things
How did this work for PS2?
IIRC by paying to be part of their "Gold" player status or whatever the fuck it was you were given beta access and some station cash? Been a while since it happened so honestly don't remember it all that clearly.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
I can't imagine SOE not doing this. Easy $$$ for them and Sony Games had a horrible fiscal year.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
I can't imagine SOE not doing this. Easy $$$ for them and Sony Games had a horrible fiscal year.
Honestly that's what I am thinking. They could even "tier" it as many games on Steam/Kickstarter are doing , i.e. the more you pay the earlier you get. I'd imagine they could easily sell out of every tier slot for this.

It's just another version of cutting out the black market as with in game gold/currency and the gold farming sites.

There were several sites you could shop/trade for closed beta accounts in the past (I remember early SWTOR accounts going for 500+ ) , now the company can just sell the beta accounts themselves.

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
I call bullshit, classes have completely separate weapon types so Wildstar will never have a paladin going full retard with a max DKP bid for a Spinal Reaper.

THAT was vanilla WoW, which was the evolution of Everquest's ALL/ALL.
Funny how evolution comes full circle with Race/Class/Deity raid items rotting. How many items still laying on the field in PoF or other zones like that from old days due to no members being able to use it. Tribute helped but not much and was way later in the game by then.

I agree with you honestly, just needed to be handled a bit differently in its time besides slapping on All/All and No Drop tags to gear.

--------------------------------------
Side note completely unrelated. I am not a fan of consoles but keeping with some of the PVP and EVE thing. How about Project M for console in certain or all dungeons within EQN. Could be fun! Could be ass but thinking it would be semi fun.

http://wiki.project1999.org/index.php/Project_M

Project M
"Project M" was an EQ Live event in November, 2001, during the Velious expansion. Also known as MvP (Mob versus Player). It eventually led to the Depths of Darkhollow expansion.
Patch notes

Project M Implemented:
Tonight we have patched something to the PvP servers that many players have been waiting for. The ability to play that gnoll, orc, or the cute and fuzzy rat. On your character select screen you will notice another button in the upper right part of your screen called "Monster". Clicking this button will randomly place you in a low-level NPC in a random zone. You will be given full control of the creature to do with it what you like. You may hunt and kill other creatures. You may even attack other players.
Some things to remember when playing your own personal monster (NPC).
You will not be able to interact with players or NPC's other than moving and hitting attack.
You cannot speak, trade, sell, or do anything else that a player can do.
You will spawn with normal loot for the monster you are playing and Player Characters will be able to kill you for loot and experience.
If you are a spell casting monster you might want to take a moment to memorize some spells.
Once you die, you will return to the character select screen where you may choose to return as another NPC or play your normal character.
You may gain experience, levels, and skills as this NPC, but once you die, it is all lost. You will need to start over the next time you choose to be a NPC character.
You can't zone as a monster. If you try to cross a zone-boarder you will lose your progress and return to the character-select screen.
Monster PCs (MPCs) can not loot, sell, or gain items. They only get what they start out with.
This ability to play a monster is being implemented for PvP servers only as we have no plans to implement non-consensual PvP on a non PvP server.
However, we are still working with this system. We may find other ways to implement Project M on the non-PvP servers that are acceptable. We aren't done looking at the possible uses of this new feature.
Developer notes

ref
What was Project M and how did it affect the creation of monster missions?
Project M was an experiment done back in fall of 2001 where players could select a monster at the character selection screen. The intent was to allow players to hop into the body of a low level creature and challenge other creatures and players, but the design of the system at the time had some significant problems that prevented Project M from staying on servers long.
Why didn't Project M work?
First, Project M didn't fit into the immersive world of EverQuest as players were simply choosing an NPC at character select (such as a moss snake). In addition, a small minority of players used Project M to grief new players which introduced a PvP element on PvE servers that was unintended. As you can imagine, the only people who typically had fun were the griefers and even then it was a short term play-style as players never earned rewards.
So why include a feature like playing a monster now?
Despite the original problems, having the ability to play as a monster can be extremely fun and is something that can add an entirely new dimension to the gameplay if done correctly. I think we've done it correctly with Depths of Darkhollow with both monster missions and spirit shrouds.

Dizzam_sl

shitlord
IIRC by paying to be part of their "Gold" player status or whatever the fuck it was you were given beta access and some station cash? Been a while since it happened so honestly don't remember it all that clearly.
It was the Alpha Squad Package. For $40 you received $40 worth of Station Cash, entrance into the beta, 6 month XP boost, and some unique items. Not a bad deal.

"Players will get their hands on an actual release version of what we're doing late [this] year -- and I don't mean a beta"

That seems to imply that it's going to be more than a beta.
First, never forget who it came from. Second, they have since walked this back.

rrr_img_37676.jpg

I still say it's going to be SoE Player Studio for EQN or the EQN version of Dungeon Maker.