EQ Never

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
Alright, I don't give a shit about the lore. Well I do, EQ Lore, this is all going to be rationale for not making an EQ successor wrapped in creative writing. "We only wanted to design one elf, so uhh.. because dragons."

I'll return when the Q&A panel starts.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Well, when the Blizzard exec saw this at E3, he went back and you heard about the dismantling of the Titan team. Yeah, they had started phasing out the dev team even before then, but I think after seeing the E3 presentation, Blizzard just blew the Titan team up completely.
My guess is the Titan game was blown for exactly the same reason the EQ Next game was blown up a few years ago. The game wasn't that good. That's par for the course for Blizzard, but something new for SOE.

Smed was right on one front: The Diku/AD&D clone McMMO has grown fairly stale. I don't think there's much of a market for the same old, same old when it comes to this genre.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
I hope so too. I really think they've tried too hard to differentiate their game from others. They may want to be cautious to not overlook some key mechanics that I feel are necessity in a MMO. I'm concerned about the trinity. I'm sure there may be other ways but players are going to completely lose their identity. I think classes should be simplified a bit. I like their idea but I don't want a gating, cc'ing, self-healing, invising, tank with SoW and snare. That's an exaggeration but what's to keep them from going this route? Hopefully classes are restricted within certain disciplines. I'm going to attempt to look back through the notes but to my understanding, just about anything is possible. 40 class combinations is a lot.
Multiclassing is limited by the basic class.

Rogue has 1 movement, 1 utility , 2 offense. You can't put in defense or 3 offense skills. (example).
There are going to be some limits.

Amycus

Lord Nagafen Raider
More than 4 character abilities per class, much less than 40 character abilities for class (many more classes than any one class' abilities). Is the current official answer unless there was clarification somewhere else.
And you're supposed to be pick four to use at any given time? Jesus...

tad10

Elisha Dushku
My question is this.

If I'm in a group running a Paladin, and guildies are making evil type choices won't this cause barriers in groups/guilds. I'm not going to want to help them with their content, and vise-verse.
Yes we asked this at Pool Party. They haven't sussed it out. It should cause problems.

My question is this.

If I'm in a group running a Paladin, and guildies are making evil type choices won't this cause barriers in groups/guilds. I'm not going to want to help them with their content, and vise-verse.
im hoping if youre so moral that youve unlocked and can use Paladin that you can't even group or do anything but PVP with Necromancers and SKs etc

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Fair enough :)
Also, having dumped about 200 hours in that game, it pretty much is GW2 with a seemingly pulled off dynamic world. Which automatically puts it on a pedestal compared to gw2. If you haven't tried it, you might give it a shot if you find it on sale somewhere. Its worth the price and may give you a feel for what is down the pipe.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Well, when the Blizzard exec saw this at E3, he went back and you heard about the dismantling of the Titan team. Yeah, they had started phasing out the dev team even before then, but I think after seeing the E3 presentation, Blizzard just blew the Titan team up completely.
Here's another problem.... I think Blizzard with all their wealth and power could easily one up this but honestly, I think EQN has set forth such a unique game I don't think anyone will touch it. I think Blizzard is going to come back with a vanilla WoW meets Eve. That's just speculation but one thing is for certain and what i'll give EQN credit for doing is making the next 2-3 years really interesting.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Yes we asked this at Pool Party. They haven't sussed it out. It should cause problems.
See that also conflicts with the whole class swap convenience for raids issue of "bring the player, not the class" they're advocating. Well if my friends want to be evil d-bags and I'm penalized for it, I then have to "bring the alignment, not my friends". They will need to maintain consistency on this subject.

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
Really appreciate the reporting work Tad.
wink.png

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Pretty much,ifthe only reason they think they won't have a trinity is because they got rid of healers---then I'm thinking the game is going to be a cluster fuck. The trinity is just an abstraction of what people will naturally try to do if there is weaker support. Which is form a front line, bring about pressure from flanking and range. If there is no way to support a front line, then you're going to have people soloing in a group. If, on the other hand, you make mob AI "smart" so it tried to always kill a support, and you give no way for a front line to stop it (Like collision, chokes, or the taunt abstraction), you may as well play the Benny Hill theme while you do some PvE.

Like I said, maybe the AI will be amazing enough that a lot of abstracted elements in current games, like even things like HP, and the like, will be radically changed. But even then--if you have ways to support tougher classes, efficiency dictates a certain set of logistics, which essentially becomes Tough---->Support set ups. Yeah, in a decent AI the mobs will go after the support, but if the players actually adhered to not abstracted rule systems, then those tough front lines would eviscerate them when they opened their flank.

So the very notion that the AI, if it were smart, "should" go kill healers, is dumb. When the reality is that the only reason the AI would even think it COULD kill the healers is because some other element was lost in development abstraction (Or the players are fucking up and leaving their support open).

Anyway, just hate the "why doesn't the dragon kill the healers!" argument...because if you ask that question, then you have to ask "why isn't my magical pike buried in the dragons knee when he goes to walk past me!"..Or "why didn't the dragon just fly up and incinerate everyone!"----Choosing that ONE level of abstraction, the healer, to focus on, while all the rest of the stuff has been abstracted too? Seems myopic.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
im hoping if youre so moral that youve unlocked and can use Paladin that you can't even group or do anything but PVP with Necromancers and SKs etc
That has about as much chance of happening as them blowing this iteration up and inviting Qwerty as special advisor. I forsee a severe let down on moral choices a la ToR.

Edit: Main reason is they'll realize that friends want to play with friends. They'll make the moral choices matter superficially for the character and maybe you can't go to certain towns, but you will absolutely be able to group with your friends. I'm not playing no damn paladin because my entire group of mmo buddies decides to save the orphanage.

i haven't necessarily had an epiphany here.. but "finding/unlocking classes" makes perfect sense for the EQ crowd looking for realism.

You experience things, find things, and succeed at doing things enough to develop your character... You started as a wizard.. became elemental focused.. then focused on conjuration... then became evil & unlocked Necromancy.

would you rather /shout Ding 47?

Vinyard_sl

shitlord
SJ mentioned goblins kings a lot. I wonder where they fall in the lore?

There must always be...*lightning strikes* a goblin king

tumblr_inline_mi6h85oVeU1qz4rgp.png