EQ Never

arallu

Golden Knight of the Realm
IGN Articlehttp://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/...GN+All+News%29

New info?
As for traditional grouping? Georgeson and Senior Producer Terry Michaels remained largely mum aside from an insistence that EverQuest Next wouldn't have the traditional MMO trinity of tanks, heals, and DPS, but I was able to whittle out a few extra answers during a private interview.For one, when I asked Michaels if there would be a shared tagging system to encourage cooperation among players who aren't grouped, he said "there's not even going to be a tagging system like what you're referring to." When I tried to prod further, asking if there'd even be traditional looting in that case, Georgeson replied that there'd be much more to the process than what we're used to and that "we're not going to restrict things to an individual."Beyond that vague answer, we'll just have to wait.

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
I told 2 of my old EQ bros to check out the video and they both thought it looked cool / had lots of questions / wanted to grief people into holes / dig a hole straight to ghoul lord and get yaks

Their reactions were refreshing as they were real humans and not rabid Internet personalities. I encourage others to try this real life sampling as it is like seeing the forest from da trees so to speak.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
Maybe I'm reading this all wrong but does this mean that you kill a mob and everyone that did damage to it magically gets a piece of appropriate loot deposited in their inventory?

"Heres your participation trophy Timmy!"

Only one Cloak of Flames on naggy is a denial of service!

arallu

Golden Knight of the Realm
Maybe I'm reading this all wrong but does this mean that you kill a mob and everyone that did damage to it magically gets a piece of appropriate loot deposited in their inventory?

"Heres your participation trophy Timmy!"

Only one Cloak of Flames on naggy is a denial of service!
That or whoever's the closest!: "we're not going to restrict things to an individual."

Jais

Trakanon Raider
Call me a pessimist but I get a real "throwing out the baby with the bath water" vibe from a lot of this stuff. I'd like to hear some explanations as to why they seem to be changing things that I can't see as broken.

Carl_sl

shitlord
Could just be a situation where you don't reach in to the orc's magical pocket and pull out his suit of armor anymore, but actually grab it off his body, and since you slay a bunch of orcs there's no reason to fight over who loots the orc because the armor sets are readily available. Could be that critters like bears and such won't have magical pockets you pull their skins out of either, you gotta skin it then chop it up if you want the skin and the meat off it. As for the good loot people would fight over, no idea.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
I hope so and it's probably just my jadedness with Georgeson and his crew. I cannot help, due to past experiences, to feel they are going to make a game that is pleasing at the surface level.
Yep. Diablolcraft sounds fun... But not long term fun. I mean everyone liked Diablo right? But were you playing it for 5 years?

@Caliane I can see Allakhazam now:

Mob/loot lists for the dungeons/raids but the majority of EQN content will be strats for dealing with Giant Spider AI, Goliath AI, Orc Pawn AI, Etc. AI.

(Zam Says: Orc Pawn runs away from groups larger than 3, so only approach with one person to do initial snare. Timmy360 Sez: I totally triangulated the Pawn with my buddez and I. I was Blademaster/Bard and they were Cleric/Paladin/Rogues.... Etc.... )

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Call me a pessimist but I get a real "throwing out the baby with the bath water" vibe from a lot of this stuff. I'd like to hear some explanations as to why they seem to be changing things that I can't see as broken.
/sign

We really need to see more info on combat and looting. Gamescon is next up, SOE is there, not sure about PAX.

Edit: I want you to know that I care about you buddy, and every other EQN player.

Jais

Trakanon Raider
If the AI works differently per mob type I think it sounds pretty interesting. Sounds like you'll have to pay closer attention to mob type and see if you can establish a pattern to their action/reactions so you know for the future. "Last time one of these bitches did X, lets see if this one does the same." Just sort of expanding on the "This mob is a shaman, so he's going to slow and dot."

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
This is, again, sounding like some of the worst decisions in WoW and gw2. I have never pined for EQ reskinned but I do recognize that there's limits on the sliders of things like choice and loot. I usually disagree on where. But fucking 2 weapons per class and loot raining down is not the way to do it.

Again, I think loot "rarity" was in a good place as far as power vs availability in most of tbc. That's where I'd design. Imagine an open world gruul with DST (one of the few very interesting loot pieces in wow's history) and that's what is like.

Carl_sl

shitlord
I'm really hoping the reason we don't know about combat or storybricks isn't because they have nothing to show about those things.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
If the actual game is anything like this thread I will never be able to sleep in fear that I will fall behind.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
If the AI works differently per mob type I think it sounds pretty interesting. Sounds like you'll have to pay closer attention to mob type and see if you can establish a pattern to their action/reactions so you know for the future. "Last time one of these bitches did X, lets see if this one does the same." Just sort of expanding on the "This mob is a shaman, so he's going to slow and dot."
There should be some commonality between say Wolves in Forest (pack mob) and Hyenas in Desert (pack mob). But yes will be interesting.

I'm very schizophrenic on this title - the diablolcraft seems fun for 6 months but I still don't see the long-term day-in/day-out gameplay given the flat leveling. We'll see.

And this new loot info has me even more confused about loot than I was after the reveal. If it is just craftable drops out in the world then everyone is going to focus on dungeons for actual loot - why get 2 iron bricks when you can get an actual Axe?
frown.png

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
There should be some commonality between say Wolves in Forest (pack mob) and Hyenas in Desert (pack mob). But yes will be interesting.

I'm very schizophrenic on this title - the diablolcraft seems fun for 6 months but I still don't see the long-term day-in/day-out gameplay given the flat leveling. We'll see.

And this new loot info has me even more confused about loot than I was after the reveal. If it is just craftable drops out in the world then everyone is going to focus on dungeons for actual loot - why get 2 iron bricks when you can get an actual Axe?
frown.png
Thats why a pvp server, and all the drama inherit in one, is essentially for long-term play aspirations.

Caliane

frown.png
the EQnext makes alot of sense. This is clearly not a sequel. this is a spinoff.
Obviously a great many that wanted an EQ3 are going to be very disappointed. hell of alot of nostalgia in this thread for example.
If you can let that go, and appreciate something that will take the EQ IP, and be a totally different format game. you should be ok.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
I already kind of booked off a week of work for launch day....My sister is my boss and I told her that during the launch window I need a week off. I told her I was telling her now so that when I actually know the date she will be used to the odd request already.Im a loser

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
the EQnext makes alot of sense. This is clearly not a sequel. this is a spinoff.
Obviously a great many that wanted an EQ3 are going to be very disappointed. hell of alot of nostalgia in this thread for example.
If you can let that go, and appreciate something that will take the EQ IP, and be a totally different format game. you should be ok.
Initially I was like many here in the sense of "Theres no EQ in EQN!" but as time goes on, I think we'll see ALOT more familiar elements. The EC Tunnel and buried items pics, for instance, give me hope.