EQ Never

Jais

Trakanon Raider
I'm very schizophrenic on this title - the diablolcraft seems fun for 6 months but I still don't see the long-term day-in/day-out gameplay given the flat leveling. We'll see.
Yeah, I've never played a MMO without levels so I'm wondering what my motivation is for doing quest and killing mobs. Is my carrot for doing these things thechanceof finding a new class thatmighthave an ability that would make me better at my "role?" Just not enough answers right now for all my questions and I'm very curious.

Carl_sl

shitlord
Yeah, I've never played a MMO without levels so I'm wondering what my motivation is for doing quest and killing mobs. Is my carrot for doing these things is thechanceof finding a new class thatmighthave an ability that would make me better at my "role?" Just not enough answers right now for all my questions and I'm very curious.
Likely you'll be doing quests, hopefully longer involved quests, to get new classes from those trainers and be doing quests or maybe searching for hidden trainers to continue to gain abilities for your class. It won't be go out and punch orcs until they drop a class token/ability token kind of thing.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
the EQnext makes alot of sense. This is clearly not a sequel. this is a spinoff.
Obviously a great many that wanted an EQ3 are going to be very disappointed. hell of alot of nostalgia in this thread for example.
If you can let that go, and appreciate something that will take the EQ IP, and be a totally different format game. you should be ok.
Yea.. gotta let go and see EQN as something new and not EQ3.

But.. I'd like to see them grab some of those Trion Devs and Brad and design another game like EQ1 using the tech.

Serious question.. why not make multiple games reusing the game world and all it's art assets? I know it would cost more but not as much as making an entirely new world with art.. Wouldn't that make it easier to bring in the niche crowd without making a huge financial commitment?

Caliane

Yea.. gotta let go and see EQN as something new and not EQ3.

But.. I'd like to see them grab some of those Trion Devs and Brad and design another game like EQ1 using the tech.

Serious question.. why not make multiple games reusing the game world and all it's art assets? I know it would cost more but not as much as making an entirely new world with art.. Wouldn't that make it easier to bring in the niche crowd without making a huge financial commitment?
same reason WoW never did I imagine. Fear of stealing your own customers.

We never even got a warcraft 4.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
same reason WoW never did I imagine. Fear of stealing your own customers.
That's really the only thing I could come up with but.. you also open yourself up to bringing in new customers/old ones back. I'm sure marketing crunched the numbers and said NO! ha

Carl_sl

shitlord
That's really the only thing I could come up with but.. you also open yourself up to bringing in new customers/old ones back. I'm sure marketing crunched the numbers and said NO! ha
Really with how hard getting a properly working game out the door seems to be I doubt It's even time for them to consider such things.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
So if AOE destruction damage can hit other players (e.g. blowing up a house) how can this game not have some kind of PvP element? Otherwise you could just grief by blowing up things near players?

Also @Convo @Caliane EQ1/2 are long in the tooth. Engine is old, Devs probably hate working on it. Better for SOE to release EQ3 using EQN/FL engine and shutdown EQ1/2 after EQN launches. But Smedley doesn't make the best decisions so probably won't happen. At some point you have to move on - EQ1/2 weren't built to last 15 years.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Really with how hard getting a properly working game out the door seems to be I doubt It's even time for them to consider such things.
That's the part I'm not really sure about.. I really don't know how hard something like that would be. Like I always say.. It's easy for me to spout off about stuff like this but it's another to actually make it happen.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Two weapon types - could be like armor, can only use "Heavy Armor" but there are three subtypes of heavy armor. Multiple different subtypes of weapon types: elven dagger, dwarven dagger, keldorian dagger.
Sounds more like they are making warrior-ish classes for different weapons but obviously only one can actually be called by that name.

Warrior: mace+shield, 2handed axe
Warlord: polearm, shield +javelin
swordmaster: 2handed sword, 1handed sword + whatever
juggernaut: 2handed hammer, 2handed axe
guardian: sword+shield, flail+shield

... and so on. Remember more classes is something they'll use as content releases instead of +gooder, so keeping it very limited per class is good. Especially since they are shooting for this thing being relevant for a decade.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
You and me both buddy. This was asked at a panel the (non)response "We've got a solution". It better not be fucking badges. We don't need no stinkin' badges.
Personal loot ala diablo 3 and GW2 maybe? Not sure if I would like it but it certainly eliminates the issue. Come to think of it its better then badges because it still has more adventure and less working shifts feel then badges.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
I already kind of booked off a week of work for launch day....My sister is my boss and I told her that during the launch window I need a week off. I told her I was telling her now so that when I actually know the date she will be used to the odd request already.Im a loser
Dude, I don't think there's a person on this board that doesn't understand that request, haha. I intend to do something similar for at least a day or two, but my only concern is issues with launch and servers being offline. They'll probably have an early start program and the servers will be less stressed, so I'll plan for that.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Sounds more like they are making warrior-ish classes for different weapons but obviously only one can actually be called by that name.

Warrior: mace+shield, 2handed axe
Warlord: polearm, shield +javelin
swordmaster: 2handed sword, 1handed sword + whatever
juggernaut: 2handed hammer, 2handed axe
guardian: sword+shield, flail+shield

... and so on. Remember more classes is something they'll use as content releases instead of +gooder, so keeping it very limited per class is good. Especially since they are shooting for this thing being relevant for a decade.
Yep. We can all probably guess the breakdown:

10 Tank-ish/Warrior-ish classes
10 Healer-ish/Cleric-ish classes
10 Pure DPS-ish (Melee/Ranged/Magic DPSish) classes
10 CC-ish/Enchanter-ish classes.

+/1 1 class for each (i.e. 11 Tankish and 9 CCis is a possibility but SOE will try to keep it 10/10/10/10 if at all possible.

Lammy_sl

shitlord
Initially I was like many here in the sense of "Theres no EQ in EQN!" but as time goes on, I think we'll see ALOT more familiar elements. The EC Tunnel and buried items pics, for instance, give me hope.
The familiar elements that everyone EQ3 advocate for are gameplay elements. While I think the world looks amazing, and it'll be neat to see what they do with it past and present, I wouldn't build up hope based on a few recognizable landmarks

I know SOE is too far beyond the point of return, but I really feel they should have stuck with the trinity and stayed true to a simpler class / combat / leveling system. That would have made the rest of their 'innovative' elements a lot easier to swallow.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
So, if class == personality, and class is limited (has inherent) armor/2 weapons, and the only thing you get to mix/match from other classes are abilities, then if you want to swing that staff on your warrior tfb, you'll have to swap to monk (and find new armor) or find some crazy shaolin-warrior class in the world where you can wield a staff + wear heavy armor?
Sounds like it, and works for me. I can deal with starting out with a sword+shield as my dorf warrior, I'll just hurry the fuck up to get my hands on class that uses an axe. What kinda dorf uses a sword?

rolx_sl

shitlord
Just for the record I appreciate the PM's and +1's support on my stances. Obviously after my 8 page episodes some people are understanding what i'm trying to get at, even while poking some fun at certain people. I may get a little side tracked, but its all for the love of the game
smile.png

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Thats why a pvp server, and all the drama inherit in one, is essentially for long-term play aspirations.
I'm 100% with you on this. While I have played mix of PVE and PVP over the years , this one just screams to me to be way more interesting with PVP involved , specifically open world much more than sectioned off areas.

Really hoping they have at least one server where it's geared more to PVP everywhere type thing.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
The weird thing about multiclassing is that if I rolled an ALT it would most likely be on a server with a different rule set then my main server. Like a hardcore or PvP one

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I used to think this game would be heavily geared towards PVE but I'm starting to think to truly experience you'll have to pvp

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
While it is still a long ways off and all subject to change for the moment really from everything I saw and heard talking to the devs at/after all the panels I think the classes seem pretty close to the Guildwars2 model with a bit more configurability.

The biggest difference is eqnext has many more classes but each class has less weapon set options.

In GW2 you have what 8 or 9 classes each with like 6 or so weapon set configurations. EQ2 is starting with 40+ classes but each has 2 weapon set configurations. So even if that is all it is and I expect there is probably more depth given some of the hints they have said that is still pretty darn good. Hell I know with my elementalist in GW2 I have a ton of different weapon options but in the end I am pretty much dagger/dagger or staff so two weapon sets pre class if done well would not dismay me.
You are right, it will be more depth. Even if the class+weapon sets number is the same, you can with mix the class abilities in the other 4 slots freely with very little restriction. It is more of a GW1 system with just the GW2 locked weapon skills + swapping thrown in.